5.0 out of 5 stars Battle For The Sun
Published on 6 July 2009 by Mr. I. Bland

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not what i expected.
It's great to have the extra tracks, and it's great if you're a collector. The T-shirt is okay, though not the best Placebo graphic ever. T-shirt quality is very flimsy feeling.

Published on 24 Nov 2010 by Benton R. Olmsted

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle For The Sun, 6 July 2009
Mr. I. Bland (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I could be one of the bands oldest fans at 57 but then I have had plenty of time to know what good music is when I hear it. Yes like Brian Molko says it is different , lighter, but listen to it carefully and you will understand that like all their other albums it has a place and an importance to people like myself. At my age it's good to have something to look forward too and their music is inspirational.
If by any chance the band see this then an oldies advice is "Don't Give Up On A Dream". More please........

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not what i expected., 24 Nov 2010
Benton R. Olmsted (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews

The "remastered" album -- why? This album was just released. Why the need to remaster? Did the engineers get something wrong the first time around? Anyway, I can't hear any differences, but I'm not really an audiophile, nor have I taken the time to try to work out what's different. I did try to find out by searching on the internet, but I haven't found any clear explanation of what's been changed.

But it's not really what I expected... I thought it would be a large LP-sized box set, like the BFTS Limited Edition Box Set. Instead, it's CD-sized and ships in a very flimsy cardboard sleeve. At least it should have been a nice, hardbound case. If it came in a hard cardboard slipcase or clamshell I would have given the product four stars.

Amazing that the t-shirt folds so small. It seems to incorporate some kind of freeze-drying process that requires you soak it in water to make it fluff up to a more normal cotton feel.

But the price for what you get is reasonable, and the bonus tracks make it worth it for the serious Placebo fan who doesn't want to pirate stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kings of Medicine - masterpiece!, 13 Jun 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this I thought there was nothing to get excited about. I was disappointed with the constant trashing sound that seemed to come minus their usual catchy tunes and i thought my love affair with Placebo was coming to a close. Yes, there were a few stand-out tracks such as Ashtray Heart, Battle for the sun and For What it's worth but it all sounded a bit contrived, forced. Then what happened was Kings Of Medicine - by far the greatest Placebo track ever! possibly with the exception of Without You I'm Nothing. Kings is without doubt the most moving, uplifting song Placebo have ever recorded. The horns, the piano, amazing. I've always preferred Placebo when there's more than guitars. I'm like all OCD with Kings. I keep playing it again and again. Its beauty has literally made me cry. This album is a grower and Kings of Medicine is a true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown up Placebo, 11 Jun 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I must admit the first time I heard this album I thought what have my beloved Placebo done? It wasn't the "Placebo" album I was expecting...its not as dark as Placebo can be and its a long way from Meds. But now I love it. Placebo aren't the angst ridden band they once were, but I'm not the angst ridden teenager I was when I discovered them. I have everything they have ever done and this fits in well. Its not Without you I'm nothing but nothing ever will be. Ashtray heart is awesome, come undone and the never ending why are classic Placebo with a twist. Buy this album. I promise you, you will love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight step backwards from "Meds", 21 July 2009
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Battle for the Sun (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Placebo since their first album, and apart from a few hiccups such as the "Black Market Music" and "Sleeping With Ghosts" albums, neither of which I've listened to much over the years, they seem to have improves over time. Their last album, "Meds", was absolutely superb from start to finish, although it did run out of puff a little towards the end, but when the rest of the album was so strong it scarcely mattered.

"Battle For The Sun" is a very, very good album indeed. As always, if you don't like Brian Molko's voice you'll not find much to enjoy here, but for once the songs remain strong from start to finish. If I'm brutally honest, the opening track is actually one of the weakest here, a slightly atonal tune without a killer chorus (the rest of the album has hooks and singalong choruses coming out of its ears) but after this the album really picks up.

Highlights include the first single, "For What It's Worth", which comes complete with a horn section (a first for Placebo?), "Come Undone", "Breathe Underwater", "The Never-Ending Why", and, best of all, the title track, which has instantly entered my list of Placebo favourites.

So it's not quite as good as "Meds", but it's probably their second best album to date. If you're a Placebo fan you'll most likely already have the album, but if you're a fan of the likes of Muse or The Smashing Pumpkins you'll probably like it too. If none of these apply, maybe you'll find something to love here as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars They won the Battle, 9 Jun 2009
J. Spinney - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
Placebo have really done it this time. I've got quite a few of their previous releases and this one is unusual in that it is instantly likeable. I think they've got a classic on their hands here. They have found a great new drummer. Got a great production and some awesome lyrics. It's worth it for Come Undone alone. Absolutely Awesome!! My record of the year already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 9 Jun 2009
S. Bennett "conflax" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
Wow - Placebo have done it again! I was ashamed I didn't know this was coming out having followed these guys for so many years and when a friend told me I downloaded it immediately and, once again, that same rush.

It's a little bit different, a little bit old school, and who else could sing about love loss and desperation to the backing of a trumpet ?? Wonderful.

Kittly Litter just sounds SO much like the debut album. Come Undone and Kings of Medicine amazing, just what I would expect.

Some mixed reviews here, but i'm well pleased at least. Go get it

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Battle for the Sun (Audio CD)
Bought as a present so I think it is good

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best album..., 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Battle for the Sun (Audio CD)
It really isn't their best, in my opinion. But this one definitely gets better with each song. Very weak start but a good strong finish.
My favourites are their more electronica/rock-type songs such as those found on 'Sleeping With Ghosts' and their latest 'Loud Like Love', so this one isn't my favourite, perhaps, because I find it to be nothing like either of those albums. For now, though, I'm liking it enough to give it a few more listens to see if I warm up to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I'm very happy about that! I wanna tell that i'ts always a pleasure to buy at amazon. I love it!

Battle for the Sun
Battle for the Sun by Placebo (Audio CD - 2009)
Click for more info