5.0 out of 5 stars Battle For The Sun
Published on 6 July 2009 by Mr. I. Bland

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not what i expected.
It's great to have the extra tracks, and it's great if you're a collector. The T-shirt is okay, though not the best Placebo graphic ever. T-shirt quality is very flimsy feeling.

Published on 24 Nov. 2010 by Benton R. Olmsted

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but not what i expected., 24 Nov. 2010
Benton R. Olmsted (Hong Kong) - See all my reviews

The "remastered" album -- why? This album was just released. Why the need to remaster? Did the engineers get something wrong the first time around? Anyway, I can't hear any differences, but I'm not really an audiophile, nor have I taken the time to try to work out what's different. I did try to find out by searching on the internet, but I haven't found any clear explanation of what's been changed.

But it's not really what I expected... I thought it would be a large LP-sized box set, like the BFTS Limited Edition Box Set. Instead, it's CD-sized and ships in a very flimsy cardboard sleeve. At least it should have been a nice, hardbound case. If it came in a hard cardboard slipcase or clamshell I would have given the product four stars.

Amazing that the t-shirt folds so small. It seems to incorporate some kind of freeze-drying process that requires you soak it in water to make it fluff up to a more normal cotton feel.

But the price for what you get is reasonable, and the bonus tracks make it worth it for the serious Placebo fan who doesn't want to pirate stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battle For The Sun, 6 July 2009
Mr. I. Bland (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I could be one of the bands oldest fans at 57 but then I have had plenty of time to know what good music is when I hear it. Yes like Brian Molko says it is different , lighter, but listen to it carefully and you will understand that like all their other albums it has a place and an importance to people like myself. At my age it's good to have something to look forward too and their music is inspirational.
If by any chance the band see this then an oldies advice is "Don't Give Up On A Dream". More please........

4.0 out of 5 stars Kings of Medicine - masterpiece!, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
When I first listened to this I thought there was nothing to get excited about. I was disappointed with the constant trashing sound that seemed to come minus their usual catchy tunes and i thought my love affair with Placebo was coming to a close. Yes, there were a few stand-out tracks such as Ashtray Heart, Battle for the sun and For What it's worth but it all sounded a bit contrived, forced. Then what happened was Kings Of Medicine - by far the greatest Placebo track ever! possibly with the exception of Without You I'm Nothing. Kings is without doubt the most moving, uplifting song Placebo have ever recorded. The horns, the piano, amazing. I've always preferred Placebo when there's more than guitars. I'm like all OCD with Kings. I keep playing it again and again. Its beauty has literally made me cry. This album is a grower and Kings of Medicine is a true masterpiece.

4.0 out of 5 stars A slight step backwards from "Meds", 21 July 2009
Peter Lee (Manchester ,United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Battle for the Sun (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Placebo since their first album, and apart from a few hiccups such as the "Black Market Music" and "Sleeping With Ghosts" albums, neither of which I've listened to much over the years, they seem to have improves over time. Their last album, "Meds", was absolutely superb from start to finish, although it did run out of puff a little towards the end, but when the rest of the album was so strong it scarcely mattered.

"Battle For The Sun" is a very, very good album indeed. As always, if you don't like Brian Molko's voice you'll not find much to enjoy here, but for once the songs remain strong from start to finish. If I'm brutally honest, the opening track is actually one of the weakest here, a slightly atonal tune without a killer chorus (the rest of the album has hooks and singalong choruses coming out of its ears) but after this the album really picks up.

Highlights include the first single, "For What It's Worth", which comes complete with a horn section (a first for Placebo?), "Come Undone", "Breathe Underwater", "The Never-Ending Why", and, best of all, the title track, which has instantly entered my list of Placebo favourites.

So it's not quite as good as "Meds", but it's probably their second best album to date. If you're a Placebo fan you'll most likely already have the album, but if you're a fan of the likes of Muse or The Smashing Pumpkins you'll probably like it too. If none of these apply, maybe you'll find something to love here as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, catchy songs, 16 Sept. 2009
Mr. J. A. WILD "_bilz" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
Listened to this album a fair few times so i thought i would post a short review. As a whole, the album is great, however there are inevitably going to be some standout tracks. For me these are the opener "Kitty Litter", "Ashtray Heart", "For What It's Worth" and "The Never Ending Why". The title track "Battle For The Sun" is different, however it does grow on you. People shouldn't compare this album to "Meds" as it's a great piece of music on its own. I for one would hate it if a band just stuck to one type of sound and didn't evolve their music. With "Battle For The Sun" though, Placebo have made a great album which i will enjoy listening to for many years to come. If you can, catch them on their arena tour in December. I saw them just after they released Meds and they were amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best album since Without You Im Nothing!!!, 4 Dec. 2009
S. D. Buys (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I was put off by some of the initial industry reviews of this album but luckily in the past few years I have stopped listening to some of the plonkers doing so called professional reviews. This is by far the best album to come from Placebo since Without you im Nothing. Its not any better or any worse, just equally as iconic, brilliant, fresh and sublime. Im so happy that they are back to their winning ways because with Meds, I feared that they were nearing the end. I think they have re-invented themselves to a point, which is a good and necessary process to remain interesting because, for me, all Meds was, was a rehash of what they had already done. It wasnt a bad album but this is superb. BUY IT and go watch them LIVE, you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grown up Placebo, 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I must admit the first time I heard this album I thought what have my beloved Placebo done? It wasn't the "Placebo" album I was expecting...its not as dark as Placebo can be and its a long way from Meds. But now I love it. Placebo aren't the angst ridden band they once were, but I'm not the angst ridden teenager I was when I discovered them. I have everything they have ever done and this fits in well. Its not Without you I'm nothing but nothing ever will be. Ashtray heart is awesome, come undone and the never ending why are classic Placebo with a twist. Buy this album. I promise you, you will love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from a reborn band, 5 Dec. 2009
Crystal (Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
I'll admit it took a few listens before I really got into this album, but now I have I barely go a few days without playing it. I've been a fan of Placebo for years and now with a new drummer and more optimistic outlook on life their still going strong. Brain Molko deliviers unique lyrics backed with brilliant music to make one classic alternate rock record. All grown up and settled down theres a mixture or slow and fast songs that will excite even the most hard to please of fans.
Placebo will always be one of those bands you either love or loath, if you love them this is essential, I cannot wait to hear it live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything and More, 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Battle For The Sun (Audio CD)
Being a long term Placebo fan I had this on pre-order on faith and I was not disappointed. It has tracks that have the traditional Placebo feel to them but there are other tracks which are an interesting departure. They've diversified and come up with some real music gold.
Ashtray Heart is an emotional roller coaster and you can feel the energy building in Julien. From the soft depths of The Movie On Your Eyelids to the powerfully raw edge of the albums title track, it's a fantastic aural journey.
Well done chaps, you've produced another winner for us :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Placebo - Battle for the sun, 22 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Battle for the Sun (Audio CD)
Although I have given this a 4 star rating I may well change my mind after more listenings and give it a 5 star rating. Some tracks I totally love and others I am getting used to and liking them more each time I hear them - I felt the same about Meds and now I think Meds is the best album ever!
New drummer takes a bit of getting used to - he's not as funky as Hewitt was but he has his own qualities and I'm sure I will like his style more in time.
All in all I definitely recommend getting the album - go for it without a doubt.

Battle for the Sun
Battle for the Sun by Placebo (Audio CD - 2009)