4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, excellent after sales service
Published on 21 Aug. 2010 by John C

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 1340
Published on 8 Aug. 2010 by D E Aldridge

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, excellent after sales service, 21 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1340 Traffic 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (Electronics)
I bought this unit about 4 months ago to replace an older Tomtom sat nav on the recommendation of a friend. The first time I used it was on a trip to Spain in June. All was well until the second day somewhere in southern France when - like another reviewer experienced - the unit switched itself off and would not re-boot....so we had to complete the journey by map. Upon reaching our destination, I plugged the unit in to the mains charger and it came back on again. Thinking all was well, we used it for the return journey when the same thing happened.

Once we returned to the UK, I contacted Garmin and was sent an email, which I have copied below for the benefit of anyone experiencing the same problems:

"First please ensure that you are running the latest version of the software for your unit. This can be done by using the webupdater which can be found at [...]
Once this is done then I think that the best step would be to remove all user data from your unit by performing a master reset. As this will delete all user content you may wish to back up important files you have added, before you start this sequence. To perform the reset, when the unit is off please hold down the bottom right corner of the screen and power the unit up, keeping your finger on the screen at all times until the message "do you wish to delete all user data" appears, please select yes to this and then please leave your unit in clear view of the sky for up to 45 minutes. It should re-establish the satellites within this time"

I followed the above and have had no further problems so I hope this has helped those that may have had similar problems. Incidentally, I am very pleased with the unit, particularly the "lane assist" function.

Note: the help function on the Garmin website contains a handy tip if your unit switches off, simply hold down the power button for at least 10 seconds and it should re-boot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 1340, 8 Aug. 2010
D E Aldridge (Derby United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I previously owned a Navman S70 and bought the Garmin after it was stolen. I wanted a unit with European mapping for use on a family holiday to France and the Garmin had reasonable reviews and was a good price. The Garmin 1340 was simple to set up and the pin number security is useful given my previous experience with the Navman. I have used it in the UK for a month and found that the routings are generally pretty good and the speed camera locations reasonably accurate - more so than the Navman, even with the subscription updates. I was a bit confused when trying to set a route to Capel Curig until I realised that Garmin considers Wales a separate country and that I had only been looking up places in England. The voice commands are clear and concise when given in English and I was expecting that the unit would perform as well in France.
Oh Dear! Route finding from the airport to the apartment where we were staying was odd and it failed to list the major town in a valley we were exploring while a small hamlet about 5km away was included in the database. The programming obviously preferred to use the absolutely most direct route, even if that meant using single track and unmade roads. I have to admit that the Navman had a tendency to do this too but where the Garmin was virtually useless was in providing French road names. Presumably, to save money, Garmin have chosen to use the same person to deliver both English and French road names and instructions and for all I know, German, Spanish and all other European languages as well. The pronunciation of French in a 'Sloane Ranger' type English accent is execrable and means most of the pronunciations of French road names are unrecognisable when compared with what is written on the screen. At first it was laughable but after a very short time it becomes very annoying and only possible to use the unit in silent mode. This makes route finding while, at the same time concentrating on unfamiliar road systems and driving habits more difficult than it ought to be.
In conclusion, the Garmin Nuvi 1340 is a good value sat nav and pretty good performance in the UK (sorry England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) but don't expect to be able to understand where you are in France just by listening to the instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but cannot save a route, only destinations., 16 Jun. 2010
Declan Reidy (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Have used this 1340T for 4 months in Ireland and through France and to Southern Spain. Great 'Lane Assist' getting around Madrid, Rennes, Nantes, Bordeaux, etc. Still needed the 'better half' with maps as co-pilot, as occasionally the device brings you to your destination, but not on the best route. This is my first Sat Nav.

I work on the map file on my PC before sending a location to device. You can do great route-planning on the PC but the 1340T does not accept a route from PC to device! Other models do. This a let-down. I didn't see this topic coming up in any review of sat navs, before I purchased. For me this option would get it 5 stars. You can transfer a destination from PC to device, but not a route. I know you can create Via-Points to your destination, but it would be so much better to have your routes pre-planned and saved on the device, in advance.

Sometimes it falls off the black disc on the dash-board. Can happen at the wrong moment. Not sure why, whether it is the heat in the car, but should not happen.

Has served me very well in towns and cities. Newer roads, usually motorway extensions, are not on latest maps. Looks like you are driving off-piste until you pick up older road again.

The T (traffic) option is of no benefit in Rep Ireland but is abroad. When device tells you distance to your destination, it seems to work it out 'as the crow flies' and not the actual distance in mls or kms! Can live with that. Device shows your true speed and diplays speed limits. Also warns you of speed cameras in France and Spain, which was very useful.
Had reason to call Garmin UK 3 times. Each time I got excellent service. Agent had the model there so could answer all my questions and was very helpful.
So in summary, very happy except for not able to transfer routes from PC to device.

5.0 out of 5 stars first vehicle navigator, 14 Oct. 2009
This was my first purchase of vehicle navigator but the manufacturer was chosen after many years excellent service from Garmin including the replacement of the display from a sailing GPS free of charge after over ten tears excellent service. This unit has not disappointed and so far has performed faultlessly. I was particularly impressed with the way in which it announced that there was a delay ahead and it redirected me via an alternative route. The ETA display was also very accurate allowing me to arrange follow up appointments very easily. The only slight problem I have had was that it once directed me a few hundred yards away from my destination but I think that was more of a postcode problem than any fault with the unit.
So far very impressed and I would certainly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars Carmin Nuvi 1340 Traffic, 26 Aug. 2010
A sound investment easy to set up and use. Took it to France and successfully negotiated a 2000 mile journey. A feature I would like to see on the display is the distance to the destination as well as the ETA.

Maps usually accurate but did not always include latest by-passes.

Chosen routes were sometimes idioscyncratic oterwise had fun using and it provided us with a practical tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 13 Aug. 2010
Very clear and user friendly. Plenty of useful features. Excellent at getting you redirected in case of a traffic jam. Good value for money. Glad I bought it, pleased to recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little satnav, 23 Jun. 2010
PR Designs (Stockport, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for traveling in Europe, hope it works as well as in this country. Took a bit of practice to use but am now ok with it. Nice little device but I think the power cable is rather chunky and keeps falling off the dash, bit annoying, could do with some clips to secure to air vent or something. The unit performs well and if you make a wrong turn, quickly recalculates new route (and is polite about it too, unlike the wife!!!) Well worth the money. You will need to buy a case to store the satnav and cables as Garmin don't supply one with the unit, misseries. Glad we've finaly invested in some technology because I tired of getting lost. Have not used the traffic function yet so can't comment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin is good, 3 Sept. 2009
Found the unit to have some excellent features, gave all the information one required with one exception and that is the instructions can be a bit late being spoken if in heavy fast traffic. We found the display of each local speed limit on the screen extremely helpful in not exceeding things (well hopefully) when recently travelling down through France.

Our fourth GPS over the years and definately the best we have used.Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Sat Nav nuvi 1340T, 13 Aug. 2010
Gary C. Poole - See all my reviews
After much research I decided on the Nuvi 1340T. It has some great features and works a treat. Already used both in UK and Spain. Picks up satellites quickly, warns of speed cameras and gives verbal road names which is a good thing especially whilst concentrating on driving. Doesn't always choose the most direct route especially if you already know where you're going but will get you there nevertheless. Sometimes tells you to turn left or right when only a bend in the road ....... don't know the reason for this. Maybe it's when there is a very sharp bend/corner and device thinks it is a junction. Minor detail. Would recommend this sat nav especially at £118 !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sat Nav, 26 Mar. 2010
Tone (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
Bought the unit in November 2009 and was impressed with the things it could do as it replaced a Garmin C510 (which was superb)quick to lock onto satelites. Traffic re-route works well and got me out of bother a couple of times on long motorway journeys, the motorway junction assist is great too, shows you well in advance of what lane to stay in. The spoken street names are great if you do not know where you are but annoying if you know where you are (l usually mute it). I have added London street maps to mine (purchased from Garmin for about £10), downloaded in minutes so l could use the pedestrian option as well as more detailed maps when in the city, great if you live/work in London but dont go often enough to see the benefit of comment on this function. All in all beats most that are out there and certainly rate Garmin products (we now have 3 in the house, 2 are for driving teenage children)