1,153 of 1,157 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars First Sat Nav - No Worries
This is the first sat nav I have ever bought, so I spent quite a bit of time reading reviews and talking to friends with sat navs.

I've read some negative reviews about the nuvi 1340, but decided to take the plunge and so far - five days in - I haven't been disappointed.

Published on 8 July 2010 by Cossy

1.0 out of 5 stars It costs 50 to update maps!
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by pollyanna

1,153 of 1,157 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars First Sat Nav - No Worries, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 1340 4.3" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)

It is very easy to use. The screen is big and clear, the instructions concise and easy to understand. It updates and recalculates routes, when I have purposefully gone the wrong way, very quickly. There are other useful functions on there, like the points of interest, and the 'where am i' function would be very useful in an emergency. Safety camera alerts are a Godsend.

I appreciate that different people have different expectations, but I'm quite demanding and wouldn't waste my money on a pile of tosh, so I can recommend this sat nav.

***Update***

I've had it for about five months now and still think that it is fantastic. It has got me around the UK and Europe with no problems at all. It was great for finding a petrol station in the middle of France when I needed one on the hurry up, for finding a cashpoint when driving around rural England and for finding a Thai restaurant in Bournemouth when we decided what we wanted to eat on a whim. Ten minutes and we were there.

What's more, all that driving and no points on my licence thanks to the camera alerts.

This sat nav is a very, very useful piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 4 May 2011
This is the first satnav I have bought, which I bought especially for a holiday in France. I have no problem with map reading or with British road signs but I thought this would make life easier. It was worth every penny. There were two things I found invaluable. One was the current speed shown next to the speed limit in the bottom right corner. I barely looked at my speedometer as it's not so easy to read kmh. At times the speed limit was 70kmh, whereas the satnav said 90kmh, but this was just for short stretches of road and was so clearly marked on road signs that it wasn't a problem. The other useful thing was following it on roundabouts. It was very easy just to follow the pink line, turning right onto a roundabout and following it until you need to come off. In retrospect I was lucky not to hit another car as I realised I was looking more at the satnav than the road!

It is set for the default quickest journey setting and a couple of times we looked like we were coming off the beaten track a bit, but when I looked at a map afterwards we had just cut some corners. And it meant it took us on some prettier routes. We couldn't work out if it was being helpful or sarcastic when you are stuck in a traffic jam for a while and it asks if you want to switch to pedestrian mode!

I downloaded the instructions but didn't really look at them after discovering the help function on the satnav. Besides, I have teenagers who quickly worked out what to do!

My daughter gave me a stylus from her Nintendo DS which lives in the case. This was a great help. Firstly the fingerprints on the screen showed up when it was really sunny, and also it made it easier for me to reach if it was already attached to the windscreen.

I used it locally before we went to France to get used to it and followed our usual routes, even when it tried to take me a different route. It very quickly recalculates the route.

It comes with a free map upgrade within 60 days. The original map had a lot of wrong settings for petrol local to me but these were corrected with the download. The download did take a very long time but hopefully I won't need to do that again for a while anyway.

I would definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 1340 Sat-Nav, 1 Nov 2009
B. Cooke (England) - See all my reviews
Widescreen, clear map, easy to use and the audio instructions are clear, and these not only tell you which way to turn, but also the name of the road you are turning into. Speed camera notifications, the speed limit you are in and the actual speed indications are useful. If you know the route and don't want the audio instructions, you can just go to the MAP and it will show your car on the route and still give speed camera warnings. However, it is not perfect. For instance, it sometimes tells you to turn right but in fact you need to follow the road round the bend (the "straight on" road is actually a left turn). Also, the text which temporarily pops up when the speed camera chimes go off (double ding) is rather small. This text is useful in that it advises whether a fixed or average speed camera is looming, or a mobile camera zone. In this zone, a single ding sounds every few seconds if you are doing exactly the limit (or over). In my view it should not sound at the legal limit. Also, it would be useful to have a Mute "button" on the map screen for cases where you know most of the route but need help near the end. However, despite these minor foibles I am very pleased with the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars It costs 50 to update maps!, 8 Mar 2012
I bought this in summer 2011. I visited Weymouth, which has a lot of new roads, and they weren't showing on the Garmin - it instructed me to turn left - but the road no longer existed. I have just been to Cardiff, and it sent me down bus lanes, and again up a road which is no longer there - John Lewis have built a store on it. So I bought the cable to connect to my PC, and went to download the up-to-date maps - at a cost of 49.99 for a one-off, or 75 for a lifetime download. I only paid about 80 for the sat nav. I could buy a new one. Why are the up-dates so expensive? Why don't sellers tell us that?

When I was doing in-store research, ahead of buying from Amazon, the inference was that you could just go on line and download the latest maps, nobody said it would almost cost the price of the Garmin to do so, and it appears that none of the online reviews I read had this information either, so feel it's important to put it out there so that people don't fall for it blindly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the box, 19 May 2010
Mr. P. B. Seacombe "f1only" (Aylesbury UK) - See all my reviews
FOR:- As the title suggests, it does what its supposed to. But what really impressed me
was how quickly it re-routes you should you need to take a diversion. I have borrowed
an older model Gamin from a friend from time to time but this cerainly does the trick.

AGAINT:- The only small complaint, even though it has a reasonable sized screen, is
that the qwerty touch screen can be a little fiddly to hit the right letter / key at times.
This could be made better if a stylus was included, the top of a pen did the trick for me.

OVERALL:- I still give it a 5***** rating

5.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Nuvi 1340, 28 July 2010
Sheena Smith "Mrs S Smith" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Easy to use without having to keep reading the instruction compared to many others that I have seen. Also cheaper. Many features that aren't in others and downloaded the free updates easily while registering product. Would highly recommend to others who are looking for a quality Sat/Nav at a reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I ever wanted from a sat nav, 19 Nov 2009
H. Calder - See all my reviews
I did a lot of research on sat navs before I decided on this one and have not been disappointed. It is so easy to use (which for me is important as I hate spending hours with a manual not getting anywhere). I used to get lost most places I went and found it dangerous looking at printed out directions on my knee - so this has been the best gadget I have brought myself for a long time. Have recommended it and shown it to lots of friends and they all seem to like it - very streamlined and easy to view screen. Excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Garmin Sat Nav 1340, 13 Jan 2010
Tone (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
Great unit, has some good features and mapping pretty pleased until a recent trip to Yorkshire the unit switched itself off at a vital point and missed my motorway turn. It happened shortly after l bought it when my wife used it - unit completely froze up?? Anyway the freezing up happened on my recent trip and the switching off half a dozen times going and once coming back so quite disapointed with the performance. If l could trust the unit l would give it 5 stars, dont know if anyone else has experienced these issues.

Since writing the original review have had much more use of the unit and think since doing a software upgrade via Garmin Loader it seems a lot better and doesnt seem to switch off so often, still does it ocassionally but have learnt to live with it and guess its the unit. Still think its a great sat nav, has quick re routing (if you take the wrong turn etc)and the traffic is good too. Tried the pedestrian mode a couple of times in Nottingham and London but need time to get used to it but it seems to work okay, the spoken route is really useful and the motorway junction icon (comes on in top left of screen as you near the junction from about 1 mile) and it is only an 1 inch icon not the whole screen.

The "Where am l" is really useful especially if you need your GPS location or the nearest garage, hospital or police station also has a number of other good features too. A really must have sat nav, changed to 4 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sat Nav, 20 July 2010
I purchased this to replace my old er Garmin Sat Nav. What a fantastic change Acquires satalites quickly, tracking is fast and route changes are very effective. easy to program and very friendly to customise. It is also enabled for Eco Routing which finds the most fuel efficient route for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good for the Price!, 18 Feb 2010
Atna (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I have been using this satnav for quite a while. And bought this after doing a lot of research.

PROS
1. 4.3 inch Display and graphics are a lot better than others in the same price range like TomTom.
2. Voices and Languages are too many to choose from, I have set mine to a female with American accent.
3. You can also change the car icon on screen to truck or bicycle or taxi.. there are alot of vehicles to download from the website.
4. It fits well on the screen, or on the dashboard.
5. EcoRoute is a plus if configured properly. You have to enter the fuel price and set other things to get it working properly.
6. Covers most of Europian countries, and the walking mode allows greater flexibility when visiting other cities in Europe.

CONS
1. The only disappointment was the LaneAssist feature, which does not work on most of junctions in Ireland. If you are in UK this may work for you.
2. Battery time is not too much and just sufficient.
3. A carry case should have been available with the purchase.

Overall I am quite satisfied with the product.