4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun. Multi-player can be frustrating.
Published on 26 May 2010 by Blackadr

1.0 out of 5 stars Finished With it... lag perk unlocked!
First of i want to say that i really thought the single player part of the game was very impressive. The story line and gameplay i give it 5 stars gladly. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

Published on 13 Nov 2009 by Alex Ryder

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun. Multi-player can be frustrating., 26 May 2010
Blackadr (South East, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I really enjoyed the single-player campaign though I don't think the story line was quite as strong as COD4. But the situations are undeniably original and well crafted if a little disjointed. I bought a physical copy for myself and a Steam one for my son so we could go through the co-op missions together (using mumble for comms). This was great fun, except perhaps for trying to tackle the juggernauts with just a knife and explosives! - kinda pointless.

Although there is clearly some axe-grinding going on elsewhere in these reviews from the hardcore PC gaming community (I'm all for anti-piracy measures if they don't get in the way of playing the game) I would definitely echo a lot of the shortcomings highlighted in the multi-player strategy. The system simply is not robust enough. If you spend an hour on-line you can easily find you've spent half that time trying to join or re-join a game. There's a variety of error messages that come out if your game connection fails but there's little you can do about any of them and the net result is the same: you're not having fun.

I can see why they went down the 'player server' route - they supposedly retain control and it's pretty much infinitely scalable. But it's reliability is fundamentally flawed as well as not achieving what must have been a key objective: stopping cheaters.

In spite of all this, if you can get into (and stay in) a game and if there are no cheaters and if you have a reasonable ping and if you are in the zone, on-line is a whole lot of fun.

1.0 out of 5 stars Finished With it... lag perk unlocked!, 13 Nov 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)

However the single player is only a small part of what i wanted as i have been playing online games for years now, Sadly as much i really wanted to like this game the new IWNET system where the game is hosted on players home PC's it a terrible failure. At the moment i have reached level 42 so have have some experience of it.

The problem is lag about 50% of games i played the connection either fails totally or you get host migrated to another players PC,When waiting in the lobby for a game to start it drops the connection when it cannot connect to the host and you start over, Insead of using a server browser and popping onto a dedicated one where all your mates hang out. This lag and constant interuptions has ruined the gameplay for me. I am on an 8 meg line and when i play other games on properly run dedicated server this is not a issue as it happens very rarely.

The final tipping point came today is when the Aimbotters turned up, And with killcam there is no dispute when you see it snap to the players head and delivers a perfect shot every time, And since this is IWNET using valve anti cheat there are no Server admins to kick/ban them.

Why The developers thought IWNET and Valve anti cheat would fair any better than previous games is a mystery, Anybody who has played counter strike that uses VAC will know that Server admins where always kicking ainbotters/speedhackers etc because VAC couldent, So the reason for this i must assume is is cost related but in the history of online gaming there are always 2 constants. The first is that the game will always be pirated and the second is that the hackers will always find a way around the security. And while the game is hosted on your own PC i am concerned that it may allow attemts to get into your PC for malicious reasons.

For the record i was one of the people who voiced concerns regarding dedicated servers but i gave it a try and the gaming community was correct, On paper i am sure IWNET is a great idea but in reality you cant beat a dedicated server where you can make new friends and a decent admin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so good..., 30 Nov 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Modern Warfare 2 will be very familiar for those who played the original Modern Warfare...and that's because the game hasn't moved on much, and, in fact, gotten worse...

The first person story game is okay, I'll play it once...but the on-line multi-player experience is terrible.

Gone are the dedicated servers, the quick game joins, the glorious 40 player games, the occasional cheat (because the server admin kicked him and his winging mate...

All replaced with peer to peer hosting (read: laggy), automatic (read: poor) player matching, the maximum 18 player (9v9) games, and the occasional honest player, who, like you, has stumbled into a bot v. bot battle of the cheat...

I am now praying to the God of Honest Players that a dedicated server will be released, along with stronger anti-cheat measures, so that this emptiness I feel will go away....

But they have my money now...I don't think I'll ever feel as if it wasn't conned out of my pocket...

1.0 out of 5 stars Much worse than I thought, 10 Nov 2009
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I decided to ignore the millions of gamers that cried about the choices made by Infinity ward made, thinking that it wouldn't be as bad as the community thoguht I would become... but Modern Warfare 2 is much worse than I thought, and worse than Call of Duty 4.

I do not understand why there can only be atmost 18 players at a match in MW2, when it has been the standard at least 32 players allowed (with many games even with over 128 players at the same time).

Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer in general is crappy. I have suffered many disconnects during matches, and couldn't even log on to multiplayer for several minutes. Also, despite the claims of Infinity Ward, it isn't faster to enter a match in MW2 than COD4, and the LAG is worse than any other shooter I've played on PC recently.

Save your money and buy Call of Duty 4 instead, which is a better game in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 21 Oct 2009
K. Rixon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I think that fact that amazon have deleted ~150 1 star reviews for this already speaks volumes. If you are in a clan, or want to play with friends, or want a game free of hacks, cheats and little kids playing music over voice chat, AVOID THIS GAME! No admins, no dedicated servers, no kicking idiots, 100ms pings, the list goes on. If you are in any doubt check out the IW forums, but take my advice, stick to COD4 till BF3 comes out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick it to the man and DON'T BUY THIS GAME!!, 11 Nov 2009
M. Moran "mikemo" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I ordered this game for the PC because, as we all know, a FPS is best experienced on a PC, right? That certainly used to be the case but it seems more and more these days that developers are increasingly interested in the console market and treat the PC as a poorer 2nd cousin. I am just getting sick to the back teeth of overly complicated install processes and games that just don't live up to the potential the PC platform offers. Anyhow, I ordered the game on Amazon and then did some research ( I know, wrong way round) whilst the game was in the post. As soon as I receive it I will be sending back unopened for the following reasons:

1. I am sick of developers casting a suspicious eye on PC gamers. Overly complicated install process just ruin the game before you've even played it. This game requires steam activation and if you're happy for it to take a few days to download and activate YOUR game that YOU paid HARD EARNED CASH FOR then go for your life.

2. Completely decimated the online element for this game.

I will stick with my PC as it is the best platform out there, with massive potential but this game goes straight back to Infinity Ward, unopened. Time to send them a clear message I think.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very very disapointed sinlge player fan, 11 Nov 2009
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
What can i say i am deeply disappointed with what Infinity have done. I was an ardent fan of the cod series, but i dont have interent access and simply wanted just to buy and play the single player game, without having to get an internet connection and 12-18 months contract. Please dont insist on interent connectivity for a dam single player game fan like myself. This has put me off buying Red Alert games for the same reason and now cod series have gone the same way! Madness!!! Thanks alot Infinity!! Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars The thin end of the wedge., 12 Nov 2009
C Martin "cjmUK" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
Most people have had a chance to see/read a number of reviews by now, so I'll not need to describe the basic game mechanics.

It's a great game. Best graphics yet, great SP mode, and the usual frantic and exciting MP mode. As per usual it's pushing the boundaries... onwards and upwards etc.

But enough about the console versions, what about the PC version?

- Somewhat respectable, but dated, DX9 graphics.
- Short, on-rails SP game, which uses a bit of poetic licence.
- Small-scale MP, with variable performance.
- Locked, ready-to-be-monetarised (DLC) platform with no custom content.
- Missing standard functionality (e.g. lean capability, firing mode selection)

The excuses for the dumbing down seem to be a) piracy (a problem that most other steam games don't seem to suffer from) and b) 'accessibility' (but consoles are supposed to be the accessible alternative, aren't they?).

The fact is that it is a console game that has been ported to PC with out any of the usual extras that you associate with PCs - large MP, modding community, superior graphics and controls.

If you buy this game, you may well enjoy it, but it is not what it could and should have been and is the latest nail in the coffin of PC gaming.

If you have 30 to spend, spend it on a game that recognises the differences in PC gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars modern mayhem 2, 14 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
I played modern warfare but this is even better. The story catches you a little off guard because it happens on your home turf. Thats all I will say about the play, as I don't want to spoil your surprises. And there are a few. I also like the on going characters which made their appearance severl games ago, at least we have gotten to know CPT Price. I feel I know the guy. The music takes this up to the major motion picture level, as a matter of fact this is more fun than going to the movies. Speaking of the movies the graphics put you IN the movies. You feel pressure, you feel stress and you can really get into the game. I am on my second tour..just as much fun as the first time.
Oh yes the bad guys are also go going, but you meet some unexpedted ones in this combat tour. Sometimes it gets a bit frustratig but that's combat, right?
I suffered no glitches in the operation as far as the computer version is concerned. I am playing on a PC, windows XP.
The game is great, worth the money and I cannot wait till the next version comes out in Nov.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only one user can play this game, 25 Dec 2009
C. Glover - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) (CD-ROM)
However good the game might be ONLY ONE USER can play this game. If you intend to share this amongst more than one person with each having their own profile, even on a single PC, you cannot and have to buy a copy for each person

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC DVD) by Activision (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
10.33