4.0 out of 5 stars A very good game, but perhaps not for some NFS fans
This game is very similar to the likes of Race Pro, Grid and most of all; Forza 2, it's perhaps even more realistic than any of them, so if you are the typical NFS fan who likes the previous easy handling style games, and doesn't like your racers too realistic this may well be frustrating.

At first I found the game a little unexciting, it has all been done...
Published on 21 Sep 2009 by Naughty Boy

2.0 out of 5 stars Need for Speed Drift!
I fear that my review may be glazed over as another crazed rant, however I also feel that I am obliged to tell people of this game's massive floor.

Published on 12 Oct 2009 by dandanstimo

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good game, but perhaps not for some NFS fans, 21 Sep 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

At first I found the game a little unexciting, it has all been done before with Grid and Forza, but I have to say it does grow on you hugely the more you play.
The career is pretty pointless unless you like that kind of thing, the only purpouse of it is to get the BMW M3 GT2 which the game gives you when you have completed and beaten the very last NFS live tour race at Brands Hatch, apart from that all the tracks and cars are already available to play in quick race mode right from the off, and if you find this sort of mode tedious, it gets worse, as it gets tougher the further you progress into the career, the easy mode here is most definitely not for absolute beginners new to racing games and is challenging at first, especially with the new tracks.

Graphics are good and although the aren't mindblowing I have to say that the game leads the way in trackside detail and objects, there is just so much more stuff around the tracks that you just don't see in other games, Donnington for instance, has been done dozens of times in other games, but here you will find yourself noticing new things all around the track.

I have to say I don't like the gimmick of blurring the cockpit when the car goes above 100mph, since when do drivers get blurred vision inside their cars when they go this fast? it is the one chance you get to have a look around the cockpit when you are on a long straight and you can't beacuse the whole thing has blurred away, even the ai's cars blur at that speed, but not the outside world, I don't know whose stupid idea that was to implement this but it was a ludicrous one, especially as the game is trying to be realistic. Another thing is when you crash the screen goes black and white, something you'll either like or loathe. The AI aren't all that either, they make Michael Schumacher seem sportsmanlike, as they will ram you like demented loons for no reason, in reality they would be disqualified for such behaviour, and if you have it set on hard, they seem to get even more agressive, too much to be honest, which can spoil the racing, it seems EA has modelled the Ai not on real life race drivers, who would fear for their own lives and their fellow drivers at such speeds, but on the people who race online; who as soon as you overtake them, will try and ram you off the track, but this isn't Burnout Revenge, its a racing sim. Another complaint; only 3 difficulty levels to choose from, medium is too esay and hard is a tad too hard, of course that's just me, but EA need to take into account that 3 difficulty levels doesn't cover all the different kind of gamers skill levels out there, and if a game is either too easy or too hard it doesnt give much of a challenge. I do wish they would include a custom creatable tournament in the game, where you can create a tournament with any amount of tracks you choose, career tournaments are pathetic with their handful of races, it would be far better than racing 'quick races', not enough racing games offer this and they should. Those gripes aside, I would say everything else is perfectly good.

On a final note, the game has very likely saved the NFS franchise, the in car dashes are fantastic, and the cars handling is great, and whats more the game grows on you, but if you are of the view that you preferred the old games and hate this, don't despair as there are a couple of games out early next year that are similar to the old NFS arcadey games, called 'Split Second' and another called 'Blur' which is made by the guys who made PGR, check them out, there are videos on amazon.

TRACKS: the game does offer mostly new tracks not found in other games, I am so sick of racing silverstone, laguna seca, etc because they are in so many games already, but that aside there are some great new tracks to get stuck into, the track list is as follows:

Alpental

BMW M3 E36
BMW M3 E46
BMW M3 E92
2008 BMW 135i Coupé
2009 BMW M3 GT2 (available in the 'Special Edition' version only)
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupé
2003 Infiniti G35 (V35)
1997 Nissan 200SX (S14)
2009 Nissan 370Z (Z34)
2006 Nissan 350Z (Z33)
2009 Nissan GT-R SpecV (R35)
2008 Nissan GT-R (R35)
2000 Nissan Silvia (S15) spec.R AERO
1999 Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34)
1972 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R
2007 SEAT Leon CUPRA
2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
2007 Lexus LF-A Concept
2008 SCION tC
1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (A86)
2008 Volkswagen Scirocco
2006 Volkswagen Golf GT

4.0 out of 5 stars A balanced view..., 9 Oct 2009
J. Lewis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Well I've had this game for a week now and thought I'd chip in with my view given the 1 star being offered by others.

I've thoroughly enjoyed this game. Yes, it is different from recent NFS incarnations but that was what I expected having read up on it prior to purchase. The game looks fantastic making full use of HD and plays superbly. There's a great selection of cars and tracks to choose from with a range of game options to cycle through. Car battle in particularly had me on the edge of my seat as you try to stay within 5 seconds of the car in front - a real challenge in some cases!

It is tough in places but that makes it all the more rewarding when you overcome that challenge. Last thing you want is a game that is too easy in me view. So, in summary I'd recommend giving NFS a go - it's somewhere in between PGR and Forza and in my view combines the best of both to give great value and longevity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure adrenalin fueled fun, 17 Oct 2009
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I've seen quite a few reviews from people who have been slagging off the handling of the cars, for various reasons. Only thing i can say about that is, did you expect the cars to go round the tracks as if they are on rails???

I tried the demo on xbox live and loved the whole experience, albeit a short one. Bought the full game and have been even more impressed with it. The sound is great, although the pit-crew guy gets a bit annoying at times as he talks to you in-car. The visuals really add to this game, especially when you hit something at speed and the whole screen goes grey, shaking madly, leaving you unable to do anything of substance until you are no longer disorientated. A nice touch is having to move your head slightly in-car to fully view the rear-view mirror.

The only way to view this game, when racing, is with the in-car view, anything else dilutes the experience imo; just a pity the makers included the out of car views as i can guess that a lot of users will use these instead and miss out.

A word for the AI; definitely the most realistic AI opponents i've raced against. Its refreshing to see computer controlled cars going off the track due to their own mistakes/accidents when racing each other.

You can pick this up and have a race or two and have fun, but you can also get further into it and try to achieve all the star awards, which is a real challenge, but worth it when you conquer a particular track, opponent, or race. You dont need to get involved in any tuning unless you want to.

There are a good selection of race types (time/lap elimination, head-to-head, standard, time attack, etc) so you wont get bored with a particular type.

Definitely recommended for anyone who wants a challenge on track.

2.0 out of 5 stars Need for Speed Drift!, 12 Oct 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)

Let me start by saying that the graphics, the cars and the environments are superb. I like the feeling of speed and I think the crashes are brilliant. However, no matter how hard I tried to get into this game, I could not get past the fact that the cars drift all of the time. The level of oversteer on every car in every situation is just wrong. Take the Mitsubishi Evo 10, turning a reasonable hairpin at 30mph with very little throttle usage, ah, understeer and grip I hear you saying. But no, armfulls of oversteer, and not cure-able either, no matter how gentle, rough or anything you are, not even full downforce will help the problem. This even happens in a straight line.

I am not here to bash the game, only to warn others who seek something fun but also realistic. I am a big fan of the gameplay of Race Pro, floored as the game is, the realistic driving experience is superb, however I understand the need for pickup and play. That is why I would strongly recommend waiting for Forza 3 as it walks this line perfectly for 90% of gamers out there. It also will have a much better tool for editing car liverys, something that is not very good/flexible on this game.

Needless to say, I have never done this before, I traded it in and got ODST instead. Not the same genre, but miles more fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars crap, 6 Feb 2011
Arpad (Ibiza.Spain) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
To me this game is crap..The car is oversteering all the time even on straight road ..Cannot enjoy it..I was waiting for this game as I like need for speed games because they are not so lifelike like forza but this is ridicoulus ..That bloody car just cant behave..not fun to me at all..there is another review here explaining this better then me I just wanted to help pull down the stars so other can consider..thanks..

4.0 out of 5 stars The first NFS worth buying in years, 28 Sep 2009
Mr. A. ODONOGHUE "harsh critic" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
NFS used to be great fun, that is until they started making it about street racing and basically trying to create the Fast and the Furious film on a console. It got too glitsy, too 'bro, dude bro pimp your ride bro, like far out add some mad colours so it hits off on the street man'-ey and I pretty much lost interest in the series after Underground 2.

I slotted this in the dvd tray and sighed half expecting Vin Diesel to grunt something at me any second, but no, I was met by excellent graphics, a nice level of realism and nothing annoyed me. It's slick, satisfying and strikes the perfect balance between simulation and arcade racer - you can't really pick up and play it well unless you've played before but by the end of a 3 lap race you've got it and want more.

Firstly you can adjust the driving aids to suit your style, if using a gamepad I would recommend that you switch to control setup 2 if you want to change gear manually and set abs-on, tc-low and sc-off. I initially turned them all off but I tend to have the most fun with this setup as it still allows powersliding exiting a corner and requires that you only brake heavily in a straight line, also once you start to tune your cars it can become difficult to control the wheelspin in a straight line (even at 160mph) without the tc.

Second, the cars: These are great and all exhibit unique handling characteristics, there's no generic feel, the difference between FWD, RWD and AWD is nicely judged, the engine sounds are pretty much perfect and the detailing wonderful. The damage system is good and will only really dent your progress if you say hammer the Veyron you're driving into parts of the Nordschleife at 200mph. The effect when you crash is also a welcome addition.

The tracks look great and the trackside folks wave you along your merry way with smiles, claps and occasional punches in the air. Spa has nice mountains in the background, Silverstone is the most accurate I've ever seen on any game (in lap-feel and detail) and the track surfaces themselves are very accurately rendered. To be quick you have to stay off the larger kerbs (excellent sound when hitting them) and be sure to come off the brakes in time as the gravel traps and tyres will punish you. There are classic racing tracks mixed among make-believe tracks but I like that, it's more exciting and the created ones are just as fun. The drift tracks are actually quite hard with all the aids turned off, and I like that too.

Gameplay is fun, the career mode is a bit linear but gives variety with 'invitational' events that let you drive a specific car for one race, Lotus Elise only for example. Then theres the sort of driving duel races where it's you vs. one AI chump in two closely matched cars, Viper Vs. Ford GT for example. This leads me onto the 'points' system. You get points for either being accurate or aggressive, do a clean sector you get points, push all the other cars off track and you also get points. The more points the better but you'll quickly find that you have to use both philosphies to win. On balance it's not a bad idea and it does encourage you, but I wouldn't worry too much, the desire to be quickest trumps it.

After purchasing this game I found that it has been created in large part by the same games designers behind GTR, GTR:2 and GT Legends. These games are perhaps my favourite on the PC and I'm lucky enough to have a G25 wheel to enjoy them with. I have no doubt that NFS: Shift is a console racer for people like me. What it's not for is people who watched the latest Fast and Furious film and thought it was great.

4 stars, it's the best racer on the xbox 360 at the moment and handles very sweetly with analogue throttle and brakes. It doesn't get 5 because it could do with a few more cars and tracks and most importantly an offline multiplayer splitscreen mode. Still, I'd give it 89%.

*Edit: I should add that it's a relatively difficult game, more difficult than Forza and certainly Dirt 2. You have to be increasingly gentle and certainly progressive with the controls which are very sensitive. There are also extensive tuning options such as rebound, spring rates, front and rear downforce, tyre pressures, ride height, camber adjustment, individual gear ratios etc etc. If you want you can tune up a car just the way you like it then take it online to race.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game, 19 Oct 2009
Mino (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
No point writing loads as much has been said already on this game. But there are 3 things you need to know if you are considering buying this:
1) The graphics are excellent.Closer to PGR than Forza, but better than both.
2) The sensation of Speed is amazing and is superior to Forza and PGR.
3) The game is as EASY or as DIFFICULT as YOU want it to be. By choosing a difficulty setting for your competitors, and another one for your car, you can tweek this game to suit you. So for example you can set the AL for other cars to MEDIUM, and your control of the car to CASUAL, and you will get a good, but fair challenge. Or set the Al for other cars to EASY and control of your car to PROFESSIONAL and the challenge is still good.
If you have younger kids, set both to Easy and Casual!

This is an ARCADE game with Simulation elements to keep most people happy. ( Forza & PGR are the opposite).
Highly recommended, captures the same spirit as older games such as Ayrton Senna racing, Ridge Racer, and Outrun!
I think the flying planes and airships in the background are a tribute to these games!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, it looks nice..., 21 Sep 2009
Mr. B. J. Hunt "jedra_" (Saxilby, UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
There is no doubt that this game looks nice, but unfortunately it doesn't play nice!

First of all, the loading time for each of the tracks is excruciatingly long - even with the game installed to the hard drive. By the time the tracks load, I have usually lost the will to live!

The handling of the cars is terrible - the steering seems all wrong with the cars seemingly steering in acute angles left or right with the slightest touch of the controller. You can change the steering sensitivity but the process of doing this is terrible. You have to go all the way out to the top menu, change the controller settings (which are not documented) and then go into a quick race to try them out - due to the dire loading times actually getting this to a stage where the cars are controllable is a long and drawn out process. Even after this, the cars still do not handle correctly.

People may cry 'this is not a simulation!!!!', but I would argue that it has been presented in a way to challenge games such as Forza, which even in its previous incarnation was better.

I have played this all the way to tier 5 (I am level 21), so I have given it a chance, but in the end will be trading it in as it is such a frustrating game. I would strongly suggest that people rent this first and give it a couple of days before deciding to buy.

Dirt 2 is much more fun than this, and I suspect that Forza 3 will be miles better.

5.0 out of 5 stars still unbeaten for driving feel, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Of all the driving games I have played in the last 4 years, only 2 stand comparison with the original SHIFT for exciting all the senses in a way that feels as if I am actually there - in the driving seat, checking out the dashboard and cockpit detail, physically on the road, getting into the zone. No messing about with the circus tricks and ridiculous subteen gimmicks that ruin virtually every other game, and which seem to be the only way the major game developers are willing to go. Apart from the F1 and WRC franchises there are no other games that take circuit racing seriously - mostly what you get is a frustratingly brief taste of how good it could have been...
There are some hiccups on SHIFT (such as the ability to drive under other cars), but I can ignore that (as, driving fairly seriously, I do my best to avoid silly situations) for the sake of the sheer driving pleasure of taking a car out on a proper track against the best AIs ever to grace a driving game.
There are those who swear by FORZA - but I have found FORZA clunky, to put it politely, and rather sterile (it consistently improves, but still a long way off SHIFT), although the car painting has kept me amused for many happy hours when I should have been driving!
I hate the steering wheel-busting extremes of DIRT2. DIRT1 has Pike's Peak, which is alone worth the cost of the game and the slightly clumsy driving set up (still better than FORZA). DIRT3 is the epitome of a game that would have ticked all my boxes, were it not dominated by Formula D (which is so not my cup of tea I should hide under the sofa!). DIRT3 has the best driving experience of them all - but the stuff I like is tucked away very much as an afterthought.
PGR is very stiff and rather bizarre. PGR4 has great scenery.
SHIFT2 addressed some of the idiosyncracies of SHIFT1, but totally ruined the car's relationship with the road, and has a much less user-friendly menu - altogether no improvement, although the night scenarios are absolutely addictive, and very well done. I have no desire to get involved with the other Need For Speed titles.
Codemasters are the biggest let down of the century: the Le Mans 24 hours on GRID is the best driving event ever for sheer atmosphere, despite the lack of any road feel whatsoever (although the open wheel cars are brilliant - a real foretaste of the unutterably superb F1 games. GRID2 has just been sold out to the subteen market lock, stock and dribbling barrel.
TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED is virtually undriveable, and the second game makes it impossible to earn enough to buy a fraction of the cars in single player.
MIDNIGHT CLUB LOS ANGELES I found a bit hard to get going, but once I twigged it, has given me almost as much amusement as CRAZY TAXI. Nice to drive, and great cityscapes.
RACE PRO takes a bit of getting used to, but some of the combinations of car and track are very convincing.
WRC is a splendid attempt to enable the full Rally experience - which is the most spectacular motor sport on the planet for both driving skill and scenery, and has yet to be made available in High Definition...but the gaming franchise is very heartening, and, if they keep improving at the rate they have attained so far on the 3 available games,is well worth supporting on a long term basis. They should eliminate the drifting which has somehow crept in on the 3rd game, and concentrate on what they are selling - Rallying! The lovely Ken Block has demonstrated once and for all that circus tricks and rallying don't mix.
Finally - F1. I need say nothing - it speaks for itself! Bernie Ecclestone has at least done one thing right! Given the franchise to Codemasters - it remains to be seen if they ever get tempted to introduce drifting or swap the cockpit view for circus tricks...if they do I will shoot myself.
Just in passing - I abandoned live racing as the idiot subteen set terminally infested what was a great way to go up against and enjoy driving with real people. I mean no disrespect to the little darlings, but I never liked car abuse at any age! I am teaching my grandson not to crash. He has more fun learning how to drive realistically, and his toys last longer. Win-win, really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better then other NFS games!, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
First stop, the graphics is really nice!
There are a lot of competitions, but sometimes it might become boring...especially when you have to do the endurance tracks, which, to be honest, I hate because it just feels stupid to run 20 times a track...but anyway, that's something different.
Tuning part of the cars is quite limited in my opinion, especially rims selection is not one of the greatest that I've seen. Body parts for tuning the car are few and not looking good always.
Overall I am satisfied with the game.

Pros:
+graphics
+tracks selection

Cons:
-rims selection
-endurance tracks

Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360)
Need For Speed: Shift (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)