5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas as you would like it to be
Published on 26 Nov 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Helps bring an English Christmas abroad
Altogether i am pleased with this item, i live abroad and christmas carols are something i miss terribly, however i am disappointed in that it seems to have more carols without a choir, which i find a shame, maybe abit my fault aw i am just learning how to navigate on thr internet, but from that a good buy
Published 19 months ago by Helen Denis

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas as you would like it to be, 26 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This is the best compilation I know of Christmas classical 'lollipops'. There are three sleigh-rides (Leroy Anderson's, Frederick Delius's, and Sergei Prokofiev's 'Troika', the latter popularised many years ago in the Sauter-Finnegan arrangement); three excerpts from Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony, including the enchanting arrangement of 'The First Nowell' which the BBC used as the signature-tune to its dramatisation of Masefield's 'The Box of Delights', both in its original radio Children's Hour version and in its much later TV version; Adam's delightful 'Cantique de Noel' and Bach's reflective 'Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring'; and a well-chosen selection of choral and orchestral carols.
Just two criticisms - the Bacchanale from Glazunov's 'The Seasons' (well-known as the theme-music for the London Marathon), whilst being wonderfully exhilarating and sounding as if it should belong to Winter (as stated), was in fact written for Autumn; and how can you have a 'Classic Christmas' with no Handel?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Xmas album ever, 7 Oct 2008
G. G. Allan "Toon Army Gordon" (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
This CD is a delight capturing the sparkle and fun of Xmas. It is light classical music at its very best. I play Troika and I know the festive season has begun.

5.0 out of 5 stars a surprise buy, 27 Dec 2004
Ive had this cd for sometime. I must have bought in its first incarnation. This was also a surprise buy because I was looking hard for a good xmas cd at the time. I saw it. Heard it in the cd booth, & bought it!! Its one of the best xmas cds around. Go buy you will not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful Listening, 21 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I have tried to buy this again for two years and I am thrilled it has been re-released. The CD is filled with many classical tunes that featured as THE Christmas TV tunes in my childhood and teens e.g. the Timex advert. Great tunes combined with good artists and best of all, not what you hear playing in all the supermarkets! A truely "Classey" classic that I would recommend to anyone who likes good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Christmas - music compilation, 12 Nov 2009
L. Evans "Moondragon" (West Sussex, GB) - See all my reviews
Troika, Sleigh Ride and In Dulci Jubilo are just 3 of 20 tracks on this super Christmas compilation. It always makes me feel Christmassy and we've owned it for years - originally had it on tape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 16 Jan 2009
Beryl Korman (England) - See all my reviews
This is the very best Christmas Album possible. All the pieces are well played and sung and the selection of items is just perfet. I play this every year when I decorate my tree and it has become part of the very fabric of my Christmas. Once this album is out then Christmas has begun. I was so pleased when it was recently re-released as I could finally buy copies for all my friends. Very highly recommended - if you only have one Christmas album then make sure it's this one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Classic, 27 Dec 2009
Stuart D (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Since buying this CD, it has been played throughout the festive period. The recordings are joyous and combine some sombre tunes amongst the cheerful classics. I usually like pop music but would highly recommend this CD if you wish to dip you toe into the pool of Christmas Classical music. Troika is my favourite, instantly recogniseable and instantly uplifting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 23 Jun 2009
Put this CD on, pour a glass of sherry and get making those mince pies... just perfect for a Christmas that's as sparkley and magical as it should be! Love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly worth purchasing, 1 Jan 2010
Because my extensive CD collection was sadly bereft of any Christmas music I decided to rectify that situation, and this year I purchased the following Christmas CDs:

i) A Classic Christmas
ii) The John Rutter Christmas Album
iii) Nöel - Christmas at Kings
iv) Legends Christmas Collection

If I were to rank this CD amongst those four, I would put it in second position behind Nöel, which was the clear winner.

There is nothing wrong with this CD per se., I think anyone who purchases it will be more than satisfied with both the quality of the recordings (varied) and the atmosphere it creates in your home. Certainly it contains a one-stop-shop for anyone looking for a definitive Christmas album, but there sadly lies-in the one minus point.

As this CD is an eclectic mix of various: recordings, choirs, arrangements and quality, I personally found this aspect detracted somewhat from the overall cohesion of the CD. Whist I fully appreciate others might like this eclectic approach, I sadly do not, hence I preferred the King's recording.

Nevertheless, having stated the above, I think you will not be disappointed by this CD and I would recommend it to any potential purchaser. I would also state, that I found by playing the three classic CDs mentioned above in rotation I managed to create a superb Christmas ambience, something which certainly enhanced and enriched this year's Festive Season.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christmas, 22 Nov 2010
This CD contains a good variety of spiritual and secular Christmas carols, sporting good choir and orchestra performances. An enjoyable listening experience!

A Classic Christmas