TOP 100 REVIEWERon 9 December 2012
South Pacific: one of the first blockbusters I saw in the 1950's with my mother (dad not interested). This screen version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein show had me in tears at the end. Mitzi Gaynor (a Navy nurse) Rossano Brazzi (A French planter),Juanita Hall ('Happy Talk'), and John Kerr (Lieutenant Cable) and the native girl Liat (Frances Nuyen). The score is wonderful. 'Some Enchanted Evening', 'There is Nothing Like a Dame','I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair', 'Younger Than Springtime', 'I'm In Love With A Wonderful Guy' 'Bali Ha'i'. Marvellous story and sets.

The King and I: Rodgers and Hammerstein again. A talented and handsome cast starring Yul Brynner and the lovely Deborah Kerr are outstanding. She was more than a match for the King of Siam as his English governess.They make a great team. Rita Moreno as the lovelorn Tuptim and Carlos Rivas as her Burmese beau add graceful support. Numbers include , 'I Whistle a Happy Tune', 'Hello Young Lovers', 'Getting to Know You' and 'March of the Siamese Children' and the delightful 'Little Hut of Uncle Thomas' ballet. Beguiling performances, cinematography and production. Very moving.

Oklahoma: More Rodgers and Hammerstein. Taken again from Broadway, Gordon MacRea (Curly) and Shirley Jones (Laurey) took the leads and love interest. Charlotte Greenwood was Aunt Eller, ever solid, and Will Parker (Gene Nelson) with girl Ado Annie (Gloria Grahame), are superb. Rod Steiger and Eddie Albert pop-up. Numbers include 'Out of My Dreams' (a ballet), 'The Farmer and The Cowman', 'Everything's Up In Kansas City' exemplify the choreography. 'Oh What a Beautiful Morning', 'Surrey With The Fringe On Top', 'People Will Say We're In Love', 'Oklahoma'. What songs and film.

A knock-out trio of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals transferred from stage to film. Superbly adapted and still thrilling and entertaining from one generation to the next. Indispensable.
on 9 April 2013
Sheer nostalgia. This was a a trip down memory lane. It brought back memories of going to the 'pictures' before television was the main source of entertainment. We viewed the films through clouds of smoke which rose up to the ceiling through a blue light from the projection room, as almost everyone in those days smoked their cigarettes all through the performance, but it didn't detract from the wonderful acting, singing and scenery in each of these musicals. I hadn't realized that South Pacific was quite political - it didn't occur to me at the time; it is quite dated but worth watching, if only to give some idea of some of the views held in those times King and I - quite perfect - Yul Brynner at his best. Oklahoma - great singing by Gordon Macrea - especially "Oh what a beautiful morning" and "People will say we're in love". (Its is said that this song was the favourite of the Queen and Prince Philip during their courtship) - A great buy - three favourites on one DVD!
on 7 January 2013
Pretty good value.
Lots of lovely songs, which made it all worthwhile.
The King and I was sumptuous, Oklahoma tunefuil, South Pacific memorable
Thanks.
on 13 January 2011
I was overwhelmed with these 3 DVD's. all three are my favourites, individually, so to get them all together in one "cover" was a great bonus.
on 10 June 2013
all three movies brill quality and would certainly buy off the same seller again.all the films are great and we will never see the likes of this kind of screen musical again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2014
This really is a winning combination! Three great Rodgers and Hammerstein movies in one package!
In 'South Pacific', set during World War 2, an American nurse (Mitzi Gaynor) is stationed on a South Pacific island. She falls in love with a widowed plantation owner (the gorgeous Rossano Brazzi) but when she finds that he has mixed race children, her inbred prejudices get in the way. At the same time, a U.S. lieutenant falls deeply in love with a beautiful Tonkinese woman, but he fears that, should he marry her, she will not be acceptable to his family and friends.Amidst the beauty and charm of the island and its people and the stunning energy of the film's music and dance, racial prejudice is a serious theme. The lieutenant sings "You've Got to Be Carefully Taught" as he considers the consequences of marry his sweetheart. The film applauds Mitzi Gaynor's character as she overcomes her reservations and learns to accept and love her fiancé's beautiful children. The film is loosely based on James A Michener's book, 'Tales of the South Pacific.' It won a number of awards at the time and is still as absorbing, entertaining and touching as ever.
Based on the true story of Anna Leonowens, who went to Siam in the 1860s to teach the children of King Mongkut, 'The King and I' is equally wonderful. It shows the clash between old ways and new as the king tries to modernise his country while still retaining his own prejudices and status. The love between Anna and the king is never stated and yet very obvious, thogh of course it can never come to anything because the king already has a number of wives and many children. Yul Brynner was not first choice for playing the part of the king; Rex Harrison was. Thank goodness he wasn't available! It would have been a very different film if he had. Brynner was a Russian-American; he looked exotic and dangerous and, though his part was originally meant as a supporting role, he dominated the film and made it what it is. The Asian-flavioured music and the charm of the exotic setting are just marvellous! An unforgettable movie.
'Oklahoma', released in 1955, was the first musical written by Rodgers Hammerstein, based on a play by Lynn Riggs called 'Green Grow the Lilacs'. It was written around 1943 and, like the other films in this collection, it was a smash-hit stage play first. Set in 1906, it is a romantic story about a cowboy, Curly McLain, and farm girl Laurey Williams. Another cowboy, Will Parker, deals with his very flirtatious fiancée, Ado Annie.
Rodgers and Hammerstein won a special Pulitzer Prize for Oklahoma! in 1944. like 'Showboat', it was a new kind of musical - one which integrated singing and dancing with a strong storyline, creating a drama which could make you laugh and cry and think. It is very balletic, despite the energy of the dancing, a wonderfully innovative musical which stuns you with its impact, musically and in every way. It won and incredible number of awards and is still a great film that no-one should miss.
on 11 February 2012
I bought this DVD for my elderly mother. It was very reasonable priced and had 3 old musicals that my mother absolutely loved. She spent hours watching the musicals and she then passed them on to family members and friends.
All in all it was a great purchase that brought great pleasure to a lot of people.
on 10 December 2011
Hello Anna Dis here.
The King and I is my favorite, my best friend Maria and I went twice to see the movie. Now I can watch it when I want to!!!
South Pacific is great - My friend Maria suggested we should run away from home and go there - We don't have but one sandy beach in Iceland, and the ocean is too cold to go in except up to your knees!!!
Now Oklahoma had us wanting to go there and find some good looking Cowboy like Gordon McRay, and we tried to look like Shirley Jones, and wanted to dance like Gene Nelson.
If you want to hear more - we LOVED Singing in the rain!!!! Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor they really could dance, and we had the Debbie Reynolds look then too - those were the good old days - and we sure do MISS them.
Neither one of us married dancers or cowboys, Maria married a pilot, and I found me a police man - and we have lived happily ever after!!!
Thank you for the Good Service and I'm so Happy that you have all the Old movies we liked way back then.
on 10 April 2013
I will be watching this for many years to come, it is magical, just as i remembered the first time . Ageless
on 17 September 2012
This is a perfect combination and the DVD is of such a high quality - it was a joy to watch and better than ever!