5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Trio Of Musicals
Published 16 months ago by ACB (swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Old films
First class postage service - arrived well before time. Will be showing some younger, special needs children the "old" films!
Published 12 months ago by DMD

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Trio Of Musicals, 9 Dec 2012
ACB (swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
South Pacific: one of the first blockbusters I saw in the 1950's with my mother (dad not interested). This screen version of the Rodgers and Hammerstein show had me in tears at the end. Mitzi Gaynor (a Navy nurse) Rossano Brazzi (A French planter),Juanita Hall ('Happy Talk'), and John Kerr (Lieutenant Cable) and the native girl Liat (Frances Nuyen). The score is wonderful. 'Some Enchanted Evening', 'There is Nothing Like a Dame','I'm Gonna Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair', 'Younger Than Springtime', 'I'm In Love With A Wonderful Guy' 'Bali Ha'i'. Marvellous story and sets.

The King and I: Rodgers and Hammerstein again. A talented and handsome cast starring Yul Brynner and the lovely Deborah Kerr are outstanding. She was more than a match for the King of Siam as his English governess.They make a great team. Rita Moreno as the lovelorn Tuptim and Carlos Rivas as her Burmese beau add graceful support. Numbers include , 'I Whistle a Happy Tune', 'Hello Young Lovers', 'Getting to Know You' and 'March of the Siamese Children' and the delightful 'Little Hut of Uncle Thomas' ballet. Beguiling performances, cinematography and production. Very moving.

Oklahoma: More Rodgers and Hammerstein. Taken again from Broadway, Gordon MacRea (Curly) and Shirley Jones (Laurey) took the leads and love interest. Charlotte Greenwood was Aunt Eller, ever solid, and Will Parker (Gene Nelson) with girl Ado Annie (Gloria Grahame), are superb. Rod Steiger and Eddie Albert pop-up. Numbers include 'Out of My Dreams' (a ballet), 'The Farmer and The Cowman', 'Everything's Up In Kansas City' exemplify the choreography. 'Oh What a Beautiful Morning', 'Surrey With The Fringe On Top', 'People Will Say We're In Love', 'Oklahoma'. What songs and film.

A knock-out trio of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals transferred from stage to film. Superbly adapted and still thrilling and entertaining from one generation to the next. Indispensable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great songs carry the three movies, 7 Jan 2013
Pretty good value.
Lots of lovely songs, which made it all worthwhile.
The King and I was sumptuous, Oklahoma tunefuil, South Pacific memorable
Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best DVD package ever, 13 Jan 2011
Mr. William V. Roper "Bill Roper" (Watford, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I was overwhelmed with these 3 DVD's. all three are my favourites, individually, so to get them all together in one "cover" was a great bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars great movies, 10 Jun 2013
Mr. M. K. Croft (west midlands england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
all three movies brill quality and would certainly buy off the same seller again.all the films are great and we will never see the likes of this kind of screen musical again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 April 2013
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I will be watching this for many years to come, it is magical, just as i remembered the first time . Ageless

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect combination, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
This is a perfect combination and the DVD is of such a high quality - it was a joy to watch and better than ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars South Pacific/The King and I/Oaklahoma, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD for my elderly mother. It was very reasonable priced and had 3 old musicals that my mother absolutely loved. She spent hours watching the musicals and she then passed them on to family members and friends.
All in all it was a great purchase that brought great pleasure to a lot of people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to my youth, 9 April 2013
Eve Kiff (New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
Sheer nostalgia. This was a a trip down memory lane. It brought back memories of going to the 'pictures' before television was the main source of entertainment. We viewed the films through clouds of smoke which rose up to the ceiling through a blue light from the projection room, as almost everyone in those days smoked their cigarettes all through the performance, but it didn't detract from the wonderful acting, singing and scenery in each of these musicals. I hadn't realized that South Pacific was quite political - it didn't occur to me at the time; it is quite dated but worth watching, if only to give some idea of some of the views held in those times King and I - quite perfect - Yul Brynner at his best. Oklahoma - great singing by Gordon Macrea - especially "Oh what a beautiful morning" and "People will say we're in love". (Its is said that this song was the favourite of the Queen and Prince Philip during their courtship) - A great buy - three favourites on one DVD!

5.0 out of 5 stars golden oldies, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent value for money for 3 lovely sunday afternoon films. A brilliant introduction to the musicals for the grand children.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Many Memories...., 8 April 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: South Pacific / The King And I / Oklahoma! [DVD] (DVD)
My father, who's now 80, courted (as they did in those days!!) my late mother to screenings of all these three classics back in the days when the popular musical was very popular and enjoyed by all. He was telling me fondly about those happy days after the war and he could still tell me all about the cinema they went to see them in.

That cinema has now long gone, under the rubble of some supermarket, no doubt. But, my dear old Pa can now re-live those musicals that made them both so happy.

I played the King and I on my own system before I gave the set to him (had to check it for faults!) and it sounded wonderful in its stereo and the colourful widescreen was a joy.

Whether you want to simply get three phenomenally popular musicals for a bargain price or you want to reignite a loved one's lingering memories, you cannot go wrong with this set.

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)