5.0 out of 5 stars 1.5 years old thinks it's fantastic!
... that's what I'm assuming, because he constantly demands it! He can take out all the creatures from the board with the pole within seconds now. He can already recognise names of some of the animals and put some back to their slots. What fun! Durable, lovely designed and wooden!
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Gone fishing
Great product from Melissa and Doug. Number fit the board really well. Magnets in each piece are well fitted as is the magnet on the end of the string. Another well made product.

Great for teaching hand eye co-ordination and shapes for young one.

Great price and well packaged.
Published 3 months ago by Mr. D. Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars 1.5 years old thinks it's fantastic!, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Wooden Fishing Game with Magnetic Fishing Pole (Toy)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gone Fishin', 8 July 2013
This is a visually stunning, reassuringly sturdy and just downright fun product which was bought originally about two years ago for my little relative, then aged three. As a jigsaw, it was perfect and kept her entertained for months. As a game, it lacked a little something, in my opinion. That is, until I made one or two 'modifications'.

Right from the start, her six year old sister was jealous of her. I took that to be a good sign that I had purchased something of great appeal to children of a wide age-range. However, the little one's reluctance to share the fishing rod meant that their relationship was becoming somewhat fraught. Indeed, the older one had begun to hide one or two of the pieces, no doubt to teach her sister an early lesson about the depletion and sustainability of some of the fish stocks in our oceans. Clearly somebody had to do something and, since I bought this, their mother indicated rather vociferously that, that somebody was going to be me. Not a problem - a couple of minutes with an HB pencil, a piece of string, a hobby magnet and some glue left us with a fairly decent second fishing rod, even if I do say so myself.

The novelty of simply catching the magnetic sea creatures was therefore adapted to include a significant level of competition. Melissa and Doug's very responsible suggestion there about returning your catch to the depths from whence it came is a jolly good idea. If nothing else, it keeps the game going so much longer. That is, if your rods don't become entangled of course, which can be quite a hazard with two people overfishing the same rather small area of water like this.

While I was about it, I decided to make the game even more competitive, by writing a value on the back of each creature. Since I was dealing with two half-pints and not the head chef of one of Rick Stein's fish restaurants, I kept these figures simple... the numbers one to ten seemed obvious so we went with those. Then, I put this whole game inside a deep cardboard box and invited my two anglers to brings their Thermos flasks and a wireless and to meet me at the water's edge. They both thought they'd found a way of cheating as well, with a quick peek over the side of the box for each of them. Ah, but that's when the sea became suddenly turbulent, as I spun the box and all its contents round a few times. Then the competition began again! One decent catch is worth the same as several 'tiddlers', but there is no way of knowing where these 'big fish' are. This adaptation brings much more realism to the thing. So much so, that they continue to play with this beautiful puzzle in this manner to this very day!

This is a beautiful item which captures the interest of any child although, in my opinion, a second fishing rod (however 'Heath Robinson' it might have to be) gives it a lot more longevity as a toy of significant interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great toy for any occasion, 23 Mar 2011
I bought it to occupy my two-year old toddler on a 16-hour journey and did it live up to expectations! It's a beautiful toy, fishing is fun, putting the puzzle back together is fun. We played by animals (e.g. give daddy the octopus), we played by colours (the pink one), but she also happily played on her own over and over again. She even chose it to be part of her bedtime routine - she decided she'd play the puzzle three times before sleeping and she does so every night since. I highly recommend this game. I had to shorten the lead for the fishing rod to give better control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fishing toy, 22 Jan 2011
debbie8355 "*" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
The set that arrived is slightly different to the picture - the fishing rod now has a red longer cylinder shape magnet section which I assume makes it easier to pick up the fish pieces and also makes it less of a swallowing or choking hazard with the internal magnets securely enclosed.

The wooden rod and board are very high quality and it is a fun game with the added bonus of being a puzzle to fit pieces back in the board. It could have been even better if the button metal bits on the jigsaw pieces stood proud (instead they are flush, tack head style buttons) so you could take the pieces out by hand as well and use it as a conventional toddlers jigsaw. It's impossible to take the pieces out by hand without the rod unless you tip them out.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars dont hesitate... just buy it!, 10 April 2010
this product is recommended for ages 3+ but i bought it for my daughter at 23 months and she plays with it all the time. its brilliant. a great education game, helps with co'ordination, understanding about magnets and of course the 'sea theme'. a really nice present and a great toy. only thing i find a bit annoying is that she is too young to put the pieces back because she can't tell which goes where as she can't recognise 'shape' yet. we have wooden puzzles with a picture painted on so she can see where they should go. i hate that she has to wait for me to put the pieces back... but anyway i'm sure she will learn with time - i guess this is why its recommended for older children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, for a two year old!, 26 Dec 2010
V. Mortensson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
My daughter will be two in a few weeks time and got this for Christmas. She opened it and immediately knew what to do after I fished out first fish. She fished all of the fish and put them back within about 2 minutes! That was a big surprise as it is rated for children 3 and above. I do not know if she has it in the nursery (have to ask) but that does not change the fact that she could do it in a nick of time in her age. Therefore I would recommend this toy for 2 and above, that is why I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars. But she has a great fun playing with it round and round so we are very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 28 Oct 2009
This toy is one of the best puzzle boards my daughter played with. I purchased it for her when she was 16 months old. Straight away she knew how to play it. The shapes are very well cut out, so they are easy to put back on the board. The magnetic fishing rod is a great idea. I'm going to buy one of these as a Christmas present for my niece as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy!, 28 April 2012
I bought this for my daughter when she was almost two, she loved it straight away and it's been a firm favourite ever since. Of course, since she loves the Octonauts (who doesn't?), she knew what most of the fish were and enjoyed threatening me with the shark. The fishing aspect makes it much more than just a puzzle and at three we still enjoy "going fishing". I bought three other Melissa & Doug puzzles at the same time and though she's played with them all, this is easily the one she likes best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 25 Feb 2012
Got this for my 1.5yr old who loves the jigsaws of M&D. I thought he'd find it too difficult as there's no picture under the piece when you lift it up - but no worries, he nailed it within a day. The idea of the magnet fishing rod is so unique - he loves doing it! So it's a jigsaw + a fishing toy. Really recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy., 3 Sep 2010
T. Raca (London) - See all my reviews
My little girl takes it out everyday and plays with the fish over and over