Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Original Packaging|Change

on 4 February 2012
As a primary school teacher I want to make sure my children learn the basics before they start school. This jigsaw is perfect for teaching your child the names of the shapes. I say to my son, 'find me the oval', 'find me the rectangle' and so forth. We have only done this jigsaw about 5 times and already he has learned the names of these shapes. The shapes themselves are chunky wooden pieces and the bright colours make this jigsaw more interesting to complete. I really like it and have purchased the numbers, colours and alphabet jigsaws from the same range. They are all fab!
on 17 May 2016
I've held off writing this review til we've had the product for a while due to reading other reviews about the paint coming off/stickers peeling etc. Had this for about a month now and the paint on each of the shapes is still in tact and there aren't any stickers on it, all the details are painted on. Each of the shapes is painted all over, there are no sides/areas of the shapes eft blank/unpainted. There's no writing on the shapes or board, when you lift each shape out there is a cut-out which is painted the same colour as the circle, square etc. It's wooden, good quality, all the edges have been smoothed down, no rough edges. The pieces are a great size for small hands to enjoy holding and to play with (careful of walls as they're like colouring crayons if used as such, be warned...), you can stack them, also use them in conjunction with the myriad of kids shapes books and tv shows about shapes. My youngest kids love them and it's been a help with teaching them the colours too.
on 4 August 2010
Ticks all boxes apart from the fact that within literally seconds of use the coloured paper on the board began to come off. Bought it yesterday and my son has managed with a bit of gumming to peel most of the paper off one of the shapes. Great to look at and shapes are good to hold but wish it could be replicated in plastic or a stained wood. Such a lovely toy but would definitely recommend not giving to a child who is still prone to gumming, very disappointed that this wasn't durable enough for kids.
on 13 January 2011
I got my 21 month old daughter this puzzle for Christmas, and have been really pleased with it. The puzzle itself is handmade from wood, and consists of 8 different shapes of varying bright colours with the corresponding colour/shape on the puzzle board for the shape to slot into. My daughter started playing with this puzzle on Christmas Day and now, 3 weeks later she has more or less learnt all of the shapes (although she does get square and rectangle mixed up!). Great start! I specifically bought this puzzle to teach her shapes, so it has worked well so far. The only colour she recognises at the moment is green, so we will have to work on that!

I would recommend this puzzle as a good way to teach your child shapes and colours.
Nice bright colours and chunky pieces make this an ideal first shapes puzzle. My daughter learnt her shapes and colours through using this. Melissa and Doug make excellent first jigsaws for kids.
on 30 September 2010
I bought this toy for my daughter. Its a fantanstic wooden toy that only has colour on the front, the other sides have been left unvarnished, which I thought was a bit amateurish. As with every toy it goes straight in her mouth, and I found that after only 2 mins the coloured paper started to peel. With this in mind I thought it was too unsafe to give to my daughter at present. I do however, think this is a very educational toy.
on 15 May 2010
I bought this puzzle for my 19month old daughter. She is just starting to learn about shapes and colors. This puzzle is definitely a good start.
The puzzle pieces are very chunky and durable wooden block, so they survive from any chewing, sucking, throwing actions. It also helps that the section under the each puzzle pieces are painted in the same color as the actual shapes. With this puzzle, you can talk to your child about colors, shapes , numbers, direction, etc.
I particularly pleased with that fun and gentle color theme of this product.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2010
This is my 20 month old's favourite puzzle from Melissa & Doug. He has other ones with pegs that he also likes but he seems to like handling the outlines of these chunky ones. Matching the shapes to their correct places is very easy because of their size and as an extra help/teaching aid, each shape also have their own colours to match up with. Lovely quality, as with all Melissa & Doug toys.
on 18 May 2012
This is a very attractive toy to toddlers, as it is brightly coloured and the pieces are a good size, which makes it easy for little hands to hold. My little boy is 22 months and loves all of his Melissa and doug puzzles. I have purchased the numbers and the coloured fishes puzzles and these are both great toys too. Educational and fun, what better way of learning.
on 9 June 2014
Melissa & Doug shapes Chunky Wooden Puzzle is a good durable puzzle set. This puzzle set is the same as the one you will find in any of the retail outlets. The puzzle will also hold up to high degree of abuse and you will definitely get your money's worth. I am glad I made this purchase and would recommend this product.

Thank you for reading my review.

See one answered question