5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, Comfy and Waterproof
Firstly I will say that in the past I have avoided Hi-Tec like the plague! Seeing them as cheap and nasty, but I was getting sick of wrecking my good trainers walking the dog. So I took the plunge on a pair of these pretty much solely on the reviews I read here.

Published on 19 Jun 2009 by J. H. Pritchard

3.0 out of 5 stars Water resistant, not waterproof
Published on 18 Nov 2009 by iant

3.0 out of 5 stars Water resistant, not waterproof, 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Hiking Shoe (Apparel)
I've had a pair of these shoes for about 5 months and do quite a lot of walking, out in the countryside, across muddly fields, up hills etc. In reasonably heavy rain mine are definitely not waterproof, far from it. I quickly relegated them to walks when little or no rain is forecast and bought a new pair of leather boots - much better in bad weather or where the terrain is boggy/muddy, they are just as comfortable as the Hi_Tecs and they also breathe better, leaving my feet feeling better. These Hi-Tecs are great in good conditions and I find the thin sole a real benefit when going downhill over stony/rocky ground because they provide much better 'feel' and in my opinion are safer than a rigid sole. As long as you aware of their limitations, or are OK about walking with wet feet, these Hi-Tecs are a good buy, and in my experience it's a brand that offers good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough, Comfy and Waterproof, 19 Jun 2009
J. H. Pritchard (uk) - See all my reviews

I must admit I have always had a soft spot for expensive footwear, but these have made it blatantly obvious how bloated the price can be for a pair of shoes! The quality is second to none and the value for money is off the scale!

I'm quite a fussy person and can honestly say I don't have a bad word to say about them. They are super comfy, never let a drop of water through in the rain or puddles and are very hard wearing. So good in fact I just bought another pair exactly the same! (they are not dog proof).

Look past the brand and save yourself a tonne of beer money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but short lived, 4 April 2011
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Hiking Shoe (Apparel)
I bought these in October 2010 and from day one they were supremely comfortable. No blisters, no breaking in and they were wide enough for my very wide feet. I did buy a 12 instead of an 11 which means they are a tad loose but room for a second pair of socks if I need them, but never have.

Sadly, today I had to order another pair of light walking shoes as within 6 months of admittedly daily wear the fabric/leather upper of these Hi-Tec's have begun to separate from the sole. This is a problem I suffer with most shoes so I'm not inclined to blame Hi-Tec but most shoes last me a year or so.

In every other respect these are great shoes for walking, really comfortable and light. If you have a narrower foot than me they will probably last you for years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Waterproof, 27 Aug 2009
Bought these based on previous generally positive reviews. I accept that the walking shoes are not the most expensive shoes on the market but I would rate the shoes being as just about OK, but no more than that. The shoes are generally comfortable but defects are:
lacing system is very basic and difficult to pull tight,
the uppers are absolutely NOT waterproof - my feet became soaked when walking in steady rain for about 30 minutes
and, as a consequence, the shoe uppers have stretched and become saggy even though they were dried out properly.

Overall, I am disappointed and could not recommend them as a purchase. I wish I had spent a bit more on a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really comfortable, 21 Feb 2011
Really comfortable shoes. Wore all week on trip to Berlin with no rubbing or blisters. I have quite wide feet so it is not always easy to find shoes that fit but these are great

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi-Tec Auckland Shoe, 1 Aug 2009
D. Ackers (UK) - See all my reviews
Have worn these shoes in pouring rain, in forest, mountain & moorland and on rough tracks/roads. They have proved to be comfortable, supportive and weatherproof. Recently stepped into a bog, water went into shoe not through material. Still comfortable and dried out quickly. Very pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not remotely waterproof, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Hiking Shoe (Apparel)
These shoes arrive with a tag attached that indicates they have been waterproofed using one of two systems, either through a waterproofing coating on the suede, or via a waterproof membrane. The tag indicates that you must ask your dealer as to which method applies to this particular shoe. I'm not sure how the dealer is supposed to know and there is nothing written on the box that indicates which system has been used.

Either way, it doesn't work. I have just been out with the dogs and this entailed crossing a field containing 3-4" long grass that was covered in dew. It was immediately apparent that this was entering the shoes. By the time I returned home both the shoes and my socks were soaked through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Value Walking Shoe, 26 May 2009
David Barnsdale (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Hiking Shoe (Apparel)
I have had a pair of these for 2 months now. They are the most comfortable and supportive walking shoe I have owned yet and at this price unbeatable. My walking distance has now been extended because other shoes began to give discomfort after about 5 or 6 miles, now my feet are as good at the end of a walk as they were at the start. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hiking Shoes, 12 Oct 2011
This item arrived in good time and in good order. For my son, they are a good fit and he has worn them constantly since receiving them. They are comfortable and hardwearing and he is very happy with them

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong kind of water maybe?, 28 Jan 2011
IanB (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hi-Tec Men's Auckland WP Hiking Shoe (Apparel)
I bought two pairs of these, partially because of the good reviews.

I wore the first pair when taking the dog for an early morning walk in a dewy sports field (shortish grass). They were about as waterproof as a pair of sandals. I gave them a good coat of waterproof, which helped, but they subsequently still leaked a bit. After a couple of months the seams started coming apart and they went into the dustbin.

The second pair were much better. Waterproof and, so far, no sign of the stitching on the seams coming loose; quite comfortable too.

It looks like, and seems to be confirmed by other reviews here, that Hi-Tec quality control is not as good as it might be.

ARRAY(0xa4a3b6fc)