4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba LCD TV

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious sound issues
Published on 12 Feb. 2010 by David

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba LCD TV, 29 Sept. 2009
D. Symes (Devon UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB 42-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and Resolution + (Electronics)
Have had this TV for about 3 weeks now and on the whole am very pleased with it. The picture quality is really goood, it accepts inputs from DVD recorder, laptop via DVI cable, VHS player, media player, all very readily.I have no HD at present but am impressed with the SD quality. The on-line manual is OK but could be a little bit more detailed. We generally view this TV from about 12' away but it is still very clear and not pixelated at about 5'(and that's SD format). The remote is fairly basic which is wonderful - unless you want to spend ages looking through a manual to find out how to change settings.
The only disappointment is the sound quality. If you intend to use some surround sound system or use the phono socket to connect to external speakers this isn't an issue, but don't rely on the built in speakers to give good audio output.
I am pleased with this purchase and about £100 cheaper from Amazon than high street retailers. Incidentally, the picture quality was unimpressive at one retailer and significantly better (outstanding)at another.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tosh with a great picture and super value price, 1 Oct. 2009
This 42" TV was ordered and delivered in super quick time - helpful delivery guy too.
It took me about 20 minutes to get it out of the box and up and running - very easy set up. The freeview tuned in very quickly - no need for manual deletions.
The result is better than I had hoped for.
Picture quality in a room that has a lot of natural light is very good and it seems to be just the right size screen for us. Resolution + means the sharpness of ordinary old pictures (films, old TV shows, etc) is very good.
Controls are intuitively easy to use although I can appreciate that some people might be used to a different layout.
I'm impressed so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB, 6 Jan. 2010
Mr. S. Daykin "RenoStu" (Wolverhampton, England) - See all my reviews
After a lot of lookign around and reading various reviews on this and other sites i decided to take the plunge anf finally buy a new tv going for this "Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB " the one thing that drives my wife nuts is that i have to be very thorough when buying something new and must have looked at about 20 other brands of tv, some lcd some plasma, but when i found this for its great price, a leading brand and having so many extra's it pretty much ended the battle i was having with myself and i purchased this, and i honestly havent regretted it, I purchased it on sunday and it arrived tuesday morning, although the deilvery company got alittle lost and nearly delivered it to another similar address around the corner but it was all sorted in the end.
The TV itself is huge and for a 42" tv it is very nice looking and modern, not like some of the less well know makes that cost the same if not more, but offer less functionality and some look so cheap and plasticy, the picture quality is great, and because i am so happy with the TV ia m getting sky HD on saturday to make it even better, yes the sound is alittle different that other tv's but its far from bad and just a case of adjusting the default settings to make it more to your taste, as with the colours, but thats what the options are there for.
It has a mass of connectors on the badck and side, have 4 HDMI ports, multiple scart ports, a USB MPEG reader and many others, yes the manual is alittle brief but you can download the larger more complete manual through the website and it does say that toshiba do this to save paper and there carbon footprint and stuff, but i am guessing the gigantic box it comes in dont help much.
Basically its a excellent TV at and excellent price and i am happy i grabbed it while i could as you could do alot worse and ai am sure alot of people have, its just a case of lookign at your options and i really think you cant go wrong with this one, i have just purchased a lovely TV stand off here aswell, so they will look great together when my Sky HD come too :-) 5 star buy off a 5 start company :-) great work Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars What A TELE!!, 28 Sept. 2009
M. E. Huggins - See all my reviews
This is an absolute delight, i love this television. i have only used my 360 for a hd look and that was stunning but your average picture also looks amazing. please do not hesitate to get this tele because you will not be dissapointed

5.0 out of 5 stars It's beautiful!!!, 21 Nov. 2009
As a Christmas present for the whole family, we decided to buy a 42 inch LCD TV. I'm not hugely technically minded but I read the reviews and thought this would do the trick. I also ordered a couple of HDMI cables for 99 p each just in case.

It arrived in a huge box which I thought was mainly packaging. Oh no, not packaging - the TV is really just that big!! It took me and two of my girls to put it together, although we weren't hugely successful with the stand (although our efforts seem to be holding well). Onto the stand and the TV dominates our living room - in a good way. It is ALL picture - the frame is minimal and discreet (no shiny chrome or silver to distract) and we went straight to tuning. And got completely lost. So in a fit of temper, I turned on the Sky Box and it tuned itself!!! Ditto when we plugged in the DVD player - we just picked the second HDMI channel and there it was in huge glorious colour.

And finally the PS - it made me want to sit there and play games straight away - the image was just so crisp and bright.

The remote is easy to use - each button does exactly what you think it does. We had one freak-out when the TV wouldn't turn on, but then we discovered the second on/off button on the left hand side (d'oh) and all was well. And despite being non-technically minded, I do find myself wondering whether I should get surround sound or something. The speakers are fine, the sound is lovely, and music bangs nicely when it plays - but hey, why have a TV this beautiful if you don't make the most of it?!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Had it for a week now..., 14 Aug. 2009
L. Goodwin - See all my reviews
Ive had this TV for a week now, so I figured I'd write a review, as they were very scarce when I was buying this.

Firstly, the size is awesome, for 42" you definitely get your money's worth. TV sizes aren't necessarily what they say in the description, as I had a 32" Bush HD LCD TV before this, and it towered way above my mates 32" Samsung. This is the same thing. I sit about 2.5m away from the TV and if I had picked up the 50" Plasma instead Id have to turn to my head to see what was on the screen. The Screen is huge and more than enough for many households.

Like I said, I've had it for a week, so I've tested the Freeview picture quality on it properly. Obviously its not as sharp as HD, but its pretty good. I watched the Newcastle/WBA match and the England/Holland match, and it had no motion blur whatsoever. There was a bit of pixelation around the players in the England match a few times, but that's down to the ITV broadcast, as there was none on the BBC Newcastle match. Watching the tickers on news channels was no bother, very clear text and no blur again. Very impressive. Who needs 100hz? Watching general TV was pretty good, but like I said, its down to the broadcaster with the pixelation. Watching BBC/ITV/CH4 was pretty good, no noise or pixelation. But watching Coronation Street on ITV2 Morning repeat, the picture seemed to suffer a little bit. Not distractingly bad, but you could see the difference between the other channels.

I have a BluRay player, a HDDVD Player and a PS3 hooked up to it. I havent had a proper test of HD movies yet. When I got the TV I whacked on Transformers BluRay and Independance Day BluRay for a quick test to check the colours and contrast mainly. I was impressed with it, but I only skipped to the actions scenes. I'll be watching a film on it sometime later to really test it out.
Watching DivX through the PS3 was really impressive. It up-scaled really well and there's no difference whatsoever in watching a 700mb movie and full retail DVD, which I thought was cool.

Contrast levels were really good. So good, that I had to turn it down a bit. I don't get the whole "Blacker than Black" arguments, as testing this TV out, The blacks were black and the grey's were grey, and the contrast level "supposedly" isnt as good as the high end models and Plasma's.

I have had problems with the TV. Mainly with the Inputs.
I had my PS3 and BluRay running through my Amp, then up to the HDMI on the TV. For some reason, the TV wouldn't accept the PS3 signal, it would just flicker like crazy. No idea why? As when I unplugged it from the Amp and plugged it straight into the TV it worked perfectly.
I still have a problem connecting my PC to the TV via VGA. It brings up the BIOS and Windows Loading screen, but then goes off and brings up a message along the lines of "Video Format Not Supported".
Don't let it put you off though, as my PC is a 5 year old Shuttle XPC, and will probably just need the settings changed in the BIOS. Not a major factor for me, as I'm buying a new PC in a couple weeks anyways.

I wasn't that keen on the remote. But I think that's just personal preference, as all the remotes I've had have the channel numbers on the bottom and the menu buttons etc, on the top half. Like the Sky remote or general Freeview remotes. It takes some getting used to, as I've pressed wrong buttons a few times and thought it was just in my head when I heard someone describing what was happening on Ugly Betty (God? lol)
I think a universal remote is finally in order for me.

All in all, this is a really good TV. Entry Level? only if you're picky!
I'm very happy with it and don't see the need to upgrade to a higher end unless it suddenly dies out of warranty.

Thanks For Reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB, 26 Dec. 2009
G. L. Prior (HERTS,ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I brought this tv the week before xmas,had sky hd installed days before and i must say the picture in hd is excellent,with a blu-ray picture in 1080p the quality is superb(transformers 2 is a brilliant picture)standard def pictures are a little soft but still good,other reveiws moan about the sound but i found for watching normal tv its quite good but for watching blu-rays please get yourself a surround system,the toshiba sign on the tv lights up but if you go into the tv menu you can turn this off,overall this tv is very very good value for money especially now that its £30 cheaper than when i bought it

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious sound issues, 12 Feb. 2010
This is the second Toshiba LCD I've had. The first one - the 40XF35DB "picture frame" - failed after 13 months. The panel developed an unrepairable fault. This 42AV635DB was the replacement and after 8 months it now has a terrible intermittent sound fault. Anything connected via any of the 4 HDMI sockets develops a distorted buzzing echoing sound after around 30 minutes of use. The only temporary fix is to turn the tv off and on again. At first I thought the fault was with the dvd player or the HDMI cable but other devices and other cables produced the same effect proving it is a fault with the Regza (google Toshiba Regza sound problems to see how common it is). I have contacted Toshiba's customer services and am awaiting a response. Product was bought from High Street store, not Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB 42-inch Widescreen HD, 27 Dec. 2009
J. M. Cornelius (UK) - See all my reviews
I carried out many searches before deciding on this product.

Although there are many 42" televisions to choose from the Toshiba Regza 42AV635DB 42-inch Widescreen HD from Amazon was and remains the best value and quality for your money.

Even with the sales now starting I can not find a better deal anywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well thought through design, 1 Feb. 2010
Mr. I. C. Clapham "iaincc" (Near Milton Keynes,UK) - See all my reviews
With all the nonsense about Plasma vs LCD, I was a little worried that my new Regza might be an expensive mistake. WRONG ! It produces almost HD pictures from the in-built Freeview and when plugged into my HD Freesat Box the detail and quality of image is excellent.
I have tried every single input ( and even some of the outputs !) and each is easy to access including the component video.
I'm keen to save the planet so the REAL mains switch on the left hand side is spot-on.
You can turn the bright blue LED "TOSHIBA" decal off easily and then have a smart looking piece of kit which unless your guest in an online database will think you paid a thick wedge for such elegance.
The price is right and if you take the optical output from the back of the set into your surround sound system it even sounds spot on.
If you have wondered about the AV vs XV and RV models they just have more of the DIVX technology exposed.
For most people this AV version makes best sense as the ever changing new black boxes to feed video is likely to change every few months/years. I'm expecting this FULL HD (1920x1080) to be a useful feature in my home for quite a few years to come.
By the way - don't worry about 42inch being too big - the case is discreet enough to blend into all but the smallest room !