Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

4.0 out of 5 stars2,593

on 2 January 2015
Bought this because I have three HDMI devices attached to my TV (FreeviewHD, Blu-Ray, Roku), and only two HDMI ports on my TV.

The device is about the size of a box of paracetamol, and looks very much like the pictures. There is a blue LED on the top which is quite bright, so bear that in mind before putting it somewhere where it might be annoying. It doesn't require any mains power (the power comes from the HDMI devices you plug into it).

There are four HDMI ports in total. Three inputs (for Blu-ray players, games consoles, etc), and one output that goes into your television.

I leave mine floating behind the TV in mid-air, as the HDMI cables attached to it are quite rigid. It seems to be perfectly happy that way. (Note: HDMI cables are NOT included with this item)

Although there is a button to switch between the HDMI inputs, the box also has auto-detection, so when a device is turned on, it will immediately switch to that device, and switch back when it is turned off. For example, if I have my Roku switched on all the time, if I switch the Blu-ray player on, the device will immediately switch to the Blu-ray input. When I turn off the Blu-ray player, it will switch back to the Roku.

All in all, an excellent purchase, very happy.
on 2 January 2012
I bought this because my tv only has one HDMI port. I have connected two items to it so far, a PS3 and a Sky HD box and I've had absolutely no problems at all, its switching automatically on its own between the two and I can't criticise it at all. Very happy with this little gadget.
review image
on 30 September 2010
Switches between HDMI channels automatically, so no need for the remote! I have my PS3, Xbox 360 and PC all connected to my TV, no loss of sound or picture quality, extremely happy!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2015
Product that arrived was not the one shown. It was faulty and I have been refunded but as I still have the item I decided to take a peek inside and to my surprise it was using the exact chip shown on the description of the cheap "common switch" with the "poor imitation gold connectors" red PCB and everything. I was so let down that I had to write this review to highlight the issue.
review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2012
I bought this switch in order to connect both my laptop and my Raspberry Pi (model B) to my HD TV/monitor, with the luxury of switching between them at the press of a button, rather than constantly unplugging and replugging HDMI cables. I thought at first that it was defective, because the image from the Raspberry Pi kept flickering on and off every few seconds. However, I eventually realised that this problem only occurred when my laptop was switched off, and could be avoided if it was powered up while using the Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure why this happens, but it could be something to do with the Raspberry Pi not transferring enough power to the HDMI switch (I'm no expert though).

In summary, with a laptop and a Raspberry Pi connected, the switch:

(1) works fine with the laptop on and the Raspberry Pi off (for viewing the laptop);
(2) does not work properly with the laptop off and the Raspberry Pi on (for viewing the Raspberry Pi);
(3) works fine with both the laptop on and the Raspberry Pi on (for viewing either).
on 14 February 2012
I bought this unit a) to be able to switch between my Apple TV and Panasonic Blueray player, b) for the process to be done automatically & c) for its small size. However, only c) applies.
It is small (only 2" square), but not very discrete due to the constant blue light on display.
Picture quality through the HDC50/1 - VERSION 1.4 (LATEST TECHNOLOGY) HDMI Cable is very good with no apparent loss of signal. Unfortunately, auto switching does not work and requires manual selection using the small button. Once finished, I have to toggle through each of the four cable selections to return viewing back to the tv. Also, it does not seem to recognise the Blueray player and I have ended up manually changing the cables from the back of my tv. Not really much point in having the auto switch. Changing the cables to different ports did not work either.
Overall, the unit failed to live up to either marketing hype or my expectations and is consequently stored in a drawer were, frankly, it is just as effective.
Very disappointed and I'm continuing to look for an effective unit.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 November 2010
I purchased this unit for switching between Blu-ray player, Humax foxsat and Panasonic home cinema and it does this automatically without any problems. It is fitted with an manual override switch into the bargain. (It uses the HDMI output signal to select the source. Brilliant! but if you switch a second source on it then switches to the second source. Hence you may need to remember in which order to press your remote buttons! I use the digital output from the Humax to feed the audio input to the panasonic for authentic full HD 5.1 surround sound). It is neat, compact and less expensive than other similar devices. I would recommend this unit from this supplier without hesitation. Good product and good supplier. It is just a pity there is no digital audio equivalent out there.
on 15 July 2011
Good product almost ruined by port labels.

I've just spent the last hour trying to get this to work which I have now successfully done.

Initially, after wiring it up all I got were various errors on my TV about no cable being connected, or no signal being received, or it switching to strange source inputs on the TV. It looked like it didn't work at all. However, I had noticed when I plugged in a cable to what was labelled "Input 1" source light "4" came on. The same applied to other inputs in that different source lights came on to what the inputs were labelled.

I then worked out that my particular box had been labelled in reverse and the actual "Output" was labelled "Input 3" (if you notice on the product picture "Output" is in the middle on the bottom, mine is labelled in the middle at the top - the picture is right!). So almost ruined by the fact it was upside down when they printed on the numbers.

Having taken this into account and using "Input 3" as the output, and knowing all the input number labels were mixed up, the box appears to be working fine now. So far picture quality looks good, sounds good, remote control works and auto-switching is working for my products that support it.

Anyway, so far recommended, it now seems a good piece of kit for the price (just bare in mind the labelling if you should get one that doesn't behave).
on 9 February 2011
Make sure that you have a spare HDMI cable to plug from the Output port into the TV.

I have both my PS3 and XBOX 360 plugged in, if I turn either on it will automatically switch to that console, same for when I turn it off which is extremely handy. The build quality is also great. The switcher is very small aswell.

It's perfect!
on 8 January 2011
Received promptly. On setting up with my Sky HD Box / Sony BDP-s570B b/r player & pioneer tv (1 hdmi output)I could not watch sky unless the b/r player was switched on as well.

When the b/r player was switched off, blank screen on tele. i.e. unit switched back to Sky but no picture, plus the blue switcher light was flashing on & off.

Had a basic hdmi cable so purchased duronic gold-spec hi speed cables. Still the same result. I then tried adding power supply to switcher...It then worked properly!(blue switcher light on continuously)

Conclusion.....Leaflet is enclosed with product indicating possible problems when setting up(including adding power supply). I suggest you get a power supply as it seems some a/v systems dont supply enough power to initiate switching including Sky HD box.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse