Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

• Blood

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 June 2009
This is an unexpected and out of character dubbed up delight from franz and his lads. A companion piece to the 'normal' release of their latest studio album "Tonight: Franz Ferdinand". It reminds me of eps that were released in the days of pure vinyl alongside the elpees. I especially recall the ep rhat came with XTC's GO 2 and a more dub version with Primal Scream,s "Vanishing Point". The difference is that it's not an extra recording or freebie, I guess it exists in its own right, albeit at a budget price.
The contents are creative, drenched with fx, delay, repeat and echo as you might expect, but in places missing the sonic opportunities that present themselves.
Some of it really captures the spirit ,velocity and vibe of dub ("If I cant have you"-overloaded with Lee Perry stylee sounds and noises). Other times they let the track float and expand, with the bass way up front ("Katherine Hit me"). Throughout there is a tangible sesne of menace perhaps reflecting the title and the drama prevalent on the songs of the 'Tonight' album. Snatches of voice, whispers,cries ,dialogue and melody ("Die on the floor") reminds me of the 70s shebeens (blues clubs) in Bradford, Manchester and Leeds. The only white man in Rochdale Palais- "Feeling Kind of Anxious" and the appropiately titled "Be afraid"
Overall imaginative and brave to take a risk into new territory.

Interesting to compare and contrast alongside the non-dub album, shame it wasn't offered as a freebie.
on 13 June 2009
Not being a fan of FF But not disliking them I am more than pleasantly suprised by this offering.
At last, some really funky version & dub .Just what d.js are waiting for & it's clear that FF have seen the light shone by other producers on recent remixes which have been big in the club world.
Well worth checking out although if you are a 'purist' about your music then go back to your staid ways & take a back seat cause this i imaginative & fun.
on 11 September 2009
Big, fat bass lines fill out the Franz vocals and the whole album works brilliantly. Now I can't listen to the original version as it sounds too light weight...Even better on a sunny day.
on 17 July 2015
I was very pleased with this CD as I had never heard of it before so it was all new to me and I liked the music very much
on 7 February 2015
Better than I thought
on 30 April 2013
I have never been more disappointed in an album. I am a great fan of Franz Ferdinand but this was a load of tosh, nothing like their previous efforts. This was just an electronic drum beat over some old tracks. Do not waste your money.
on 14 August 2014
Great
on 31 October 2014
Didn't arrived in the estipulated day. CD ok.
on 25 June 2009
the world's whitest, funk-free band get a dub makeover. Could they be any more contrived?

Probably, yes. What next, working with Danger Mouse? Jay Z? Dr Dre?

I can't wait...