5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and efficient
We bought this to replace a lantern type wall light which had become unreliable- and which would not work at all with a low energy bulb.
This one is much more stylish, works perfectly with a low energy bulb and gives more effective illumination with eleven watts than the old one did with sixty.
The little LEDs on the base of the stem come on automatically as...
Published on 3 Feb 2011 by Darowyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor Light
The light looks really nice on the wall, the white LEDs at the bottom are a good feature and I put my house number under neath it and it lights it up and looks very classy. In fact some one just came to my house and commented at how clearly visible my house number is, compared to the rest of the street :)

However the PIR is a bit of a disappointment. It will...
Published 16 months ago by Imran Hamid

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and efficient, 3 Feb 2011
Darowyn (Staffs Moorlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Byron Elro RVS46LA E27 Bulb Stainless Steel Wall Light with PIR Motion Detector and LED Twilight,25w (Kitchen & Home)
The little LEDs on the base of the stem come on automatically as dark falls and show visitors where the door is (which would not be obvious in this house)
All in all, we love this. It was easy to install and does a brilliant job.

3.0 out of 5 stars Outdoor Light, 3 Dec 2012
Imran Hamid (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

However the PIR is a bit of a disappointment. It will turn the light on when a bus passes at a distance of about 50 feet away, but when a human walks around in front of it, he has to be about 10 feet away from it to activate the light, or in the exact line of the IR rays. I think this 10 feet distance activation must be from the bottom part of the PIR, as I had to paint over part of the PIR (the top half of it - left to right) to stop the buses activating the light. I fitted it at 2.0m (within the recommended height of 1.8m - 2.0m), but I think to get it to activate correctly (i.e. using the front part of the PIR), the light 'might' need to be at a height of 1.5m (which is a bit too low for a largish light like this), but I am not sure, this is just my theory!

One more thing worth mentioning, the power cable must be channeled from the back of the light. I had to drill/chisel a 4cm long x 1 cm wide channel to feed the cable from the back. At first I thought I could simply drill a new hole from the side of the plastic frame, but I forgot that the silver chrome frame goes over the top, so it is not possible.

The 2 screws that come with this light are pretty solid and long enough as compared to other useless free screws that come with other lights. Drill bit #7 is to be used for the 2 wall plugs that come with the screws.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible design and quality, 9 Dec 2012
Bought it as it looks good, had it installed by an electrician, but the glass globe ( which is held by nails! I could stop now!) is very thin and not surprisingly not water tight!
So, rain water got in and stayed there as there aren't any holes for it to run. The thin globe broke as I tried to remove it to dry the whole thing, as it wasn't safe obviously. So, the item had to be binned, total waste of money.
Bought an identical looking but good quality one from Homebase, much thicker globe which twists closed ie water tight + small holes for potential humidity to run out.That's what I thought I was buying in the 1st place.Hope this helps, wish I had known!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 12 Mar 2012
DaveSuffolk (Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
This exterior light was bought to replace an old coach lantern type that over the years had fogged up and now refused to switch off. It is much cleaner, smarter and modern-looking than the old one, and the stainless steel will go well outside almost any house.

It is fully adjustable for sensitivity to light and length of time it stays on. I like that because the old one was so annoying when it kept switching off before you had finished what you were doing, and you had to wave your arms like a demented person to get it to come on again. The older the light got the more demented I had to become to get a response!

A nice feature of this light is the LEDs in the base that shine downwards all the time whether the main bulb has been triggered on or not. It is a gentle bluish light, much like moonlight, just sufficient to see what's around, eg steps or a door handle, but of course when anyone comes near the main bulb gives a much brighter light. Because it's LED it uses virtually no electricity and costs very little.

Remember the main light comes without a bulb and you have to get one separately. Don't make the mistake of getting a long-life bulb, they don't come bright immediately and it'll switch off before it warms up to full efficiency. I got a halogen bulb which saves a little power and works just like an old-fashioned filament bulb.

My only real criticism of this light is that because of the design there is quite a large metal bowl at the bottom that the glass dome sits in. It looks nice, but it prevents light from shining down, so if you site it over steps or some other obstacle you will find that the thing you need to see is in shadow. The higher the lamp,the greater the shadow area cast. Careful siting will avoid this, but that's not always possible (I needed to use the fixings of my old lamp to avoid unsightly holes in the wall). It's not totally dark, but not bright like the rest of the area around. I deducted one star for this.

Still, I'm very pleased with it. I thought it was on the expensive side, but anything cheaper was back to the old coach lamp and this is far better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 5 July 2011
Mr. B. D. Abbotts (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
At first I thought top end of the market, bit pricey. But found it great. One small critism the PIR range could not be adjusted to suit my range so I had to cover it with a bit of silver tape. Love the LED shining out the bottom Classy - Overall pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Opening the front door at night is now easy, 12 Oct 2011
I purchased this light, and am very pleased with both its look and its functionality. And it has an adaptable 'boundary' so that it doesn't keep switching on when people are simply walking past. Excellent design.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice light with good features, 19 May 2010
This light looks good and I'm pleased with it. The LEDs stay permantly on when it's dark and illuminate the house number. This is a good feature. The light is adjustable to come on at different light levels and the 'on' time is also adjustable. I've only had it a few weeks, but so far it's good. Size wise it's about average for an outside light, certainly not particularly large.

My only reservation is that the first one I had was faulty and I had to get a replacement, but Amazon handled that well.

Update in Feb 2012. The LEDs stopped working last week although the main light carried on working OK. Since the light has a 2 year guarantee I raised it with Amazon and they sent out a replacement today. Excellent customer service! New light is working OK again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great outdoor light, 1 Mar 2011
This light not only looks good but it really works well. The settings are easy to change, so i now have it come on just as it gets dark, the sensor is great and comes on when you walk past, but isnt so sensitive that it comes on if someone walks past the bottom of your driveway which is good. Ive had lights in the past that seemed to be on comstantly as they were so sensitive to movement. The LED on the bottom stays on all night and makes my house look very stylish, its above my house number so lights it up very well. It points down so even though it stays on all night it doesnt disturb my neighbours.(i hope)
1 problem that people may have is that you cant change the direction of the sensor, so if people have a very short, or no driveway i think it may be on quite alot of the time. This isnt going to change my review of 5 stars as it doesnt effect me. 1 other bad point i have is that the glass dome you put over the light bulb was very very dirty when i received it, and it was quite difficult to clean, but it looks great now ive finally got it clean. so im not going to change my rating as i still love this light. Overall great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars smart and energy efficient, 26 Jan 2012
this light is smart looking and works great and is very economicial to run, the motion detector is good as it doesnt come on if a flea goes past, so no worries about it going on and off every second but will easily detect a person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 31 Oct 2011
Alan (Durham UK) - See all my reviews
Bought two of these from Amazon link, they are really good looking. The LED on the underside gives off a good light. They worked first time out of the box and are easy to adjust. The sensing range in our location is a little short not a major issue. I would recommend supplier and item. Alan

ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)