4.4 out of 5 stars1,136

on 30 January 2009
Gtech SW02 carpet sweeper

What is the saying? "So good I bought the company?" I wish I could.
I took a chance on this because I am so fed up with buying expensive vacuum cleaners to cope with the cat hair that my Himalayan Persian leaves in her wake! (I love her to bits though). This sweeper did what no other hoover has been able to do - it picks up all the hair and a lot more besides! I am ashamed to say it took 4 goes on one rug alone and still kept bringing up engrained cat hair and other bits and pieces - and I thought the rug was clean! (We also have a dyson) I was so engrossed I went from one carpet to the other. Honestly you will not be disappointed and no I don't work for the company! I am buying one for my parents as it is light, easy to push around and store - there is not much effort involved at all. The fact that it is cordless is also good from a safety issue + you don't have to keep looking for sockets to plug into. Well done to this company. This will sell through word of mouth alone!
55 comments|314 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2007
As a fundamentally lazy person, I was so pleased at the prospect of having a light, easy sweeper that I could whip out to brush up even the smallest mess at the flick of a wrist.

I wondered whether this would be just another gadget and, ultimately, a purchase that would sit at the back of my pantry, never seeing the light of day.

In all truth be told, this really is a fabulous little gizmo. I don't bring the vacuum cleaner out nowadays for anything other that the most serious of spills. If I confess to all my slovenly sins, then I probably used to vacuum every week or so. Nowadays, I whisk the Gtech every day over the ground floor, and upstairs when I feel thorough!

It's a great piece of design - it does the job, and improves the expectation: it's so light that you whip it out for anything, it's rechargeable so it's no bother or a heavy cord, and there's no bag to empty either.

In a heavily shag-carpeted house, I think this might struggle. But for any other floors, and especially hard or laminate floors this is perfect.
11 comment|351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2008
A great sweeper. Arrived in a tiny box but all the bits were there. I still cannot believe how light it is and how well it picks things up. Just watch out for the fact VAT is not included in the price given.
0Comment|156 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2005
I bought this for occasional use but now use it in place of the vac. Very light and easy to carry around and superb on the stairs.
Its the only thing that shifts our labrador hairs. It lasts well too - I charge it once a week and use it every day.
Well done Gtech, good to see a British designed products are still best!
0Comment|148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 May 2007
No more wires on the stairs when you are hoovering. I have hoovered with my Dyson and it still picks up.No bag to empty- easy clean removeable tray. Telescopic handle and handy duster also included. Great for hard floors. Lightweight and easy to store. Loved it that much I bought 2.
0Comment|147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2008
Brilliant useful device. Great for zipping round the house and an alternative to breaking out the horrible Dyson
on 14 June 2011
This is a nice product in theory. Very light, fun to use (as much as cleaning ever is)and picks up well on hard floors. I bought the highest powered of the Gtech carpet sweepers that I could find in the hope that it would cope with the odd rug/doormat. I didn't expect it to do a whole room carpet. The problem is it doesn't hold its charge for more than about 10 minutes. I returned the first one as I assumed there was something wrong with the battery but the replacement is no better. I did use the first one on a flat rug about 6 foot by 8 foot. I wondered if that might have drained the battery too much. But the replacemnt machine has only been used on hard floors and it really is no better. It would be a good idea to leave this permanently on charge - I dont think the recharge costs are supposed to be high. But the instruction book says dont charge for longer than 16 hours or it'll do something unexplained to the battery.
So buy it if you dont mind charging it every 2 or 3 days and you're not expecting it to do more than a quick sweep round a couple of rooms. Otherwise don't bother. You can't leave it on charge and there's no indicator to tell you whether it has fully charged or not. The instruction booklet says charge for at least 16 hours and then it says don't charge it for longer than 16 hours. I'm thinking about risking a 20 hour charge to see if it helps.
55 comments|61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2008
very light,picks up very well.picks up more pet hair than my dyson...yes honestly.long battery life from mains recharge.mine has a normal length handle,check as i think picture is misleading.people may laugh at my little vac,but its better than my dyson.empty the small tray each time you use it.keep horizontal during use.10/10 no i dont work for them !!!
on 22 March 2008
Recommended by a friend and reviews all positive on Amazon. Does everything they said and is so light and handy to take up our winding stone staircase, which is what I needed it for, but I find I use it for a quick whip round the rest of the house too. Perfect on hard floors and gets under furniture and beds where other vacs can't without connecting tools.
on 27 April 2008
Excellent for crumbs and hard gritty bits, but for fluff , threads etc., it really struggles, especially on carpet. You find yourself chasing the fluff round the floor or helping the bits in with your fingers which kind of defeats the idea of having a machine to do it!
22 comments|45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse