5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and set and more importantly use.
Published on 26 Jan. 2010 by Jules

3.0 out of 5 stars It will be great when its fixed!!!
This is my third Panasonic DVD recorder which I've had now for about three months, I agree with mostly what's been reviewed here about the Panasonic DMRXS350EBK, great HD picture, excellent twin satellite tuners giving Sky Plus type functions in fact everything that Free view promises is given by the Panasonic.

But what's not been said here is the functionality...
Published on 21 Jan. 2010 by Sam O. Said

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and set and more importantly use., 26 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Panasonic DMR-XS350EBK HD Twin Freesat Tuners 250GB HDD DVD Recorder - Installation Recommended (Electronics)
I was a little concerned about the 'installation recommended' tag with this product. Don't be put off. One thing to remember is to make sure you do have at least 2 or more individual cable feeds off your dish for the product to work as it should. Once this was done, it really was 'plug and play', and the manual was quite concise and easy to use. Recording is easily managed from the built in Guide, the unit even tells you and gives you the HD option for recording if you have missed it. I can now go and out and play to my hearts content and leave the machine to get on with the recording bang on time and in excellent quality. My box is hooked up to the Panasonic HD 32" television - they make a great team.

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy purchaser, 16 Jan. 2010
ErnieK "ErnieK" (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
Got this a couple of week ago now and very happy with.

I had a wee bit of trouble at the beginning because I have it connected to my Sky+ box (still 9 months to go on contract) and every time it was switched on it kept trying to tune into Freesat. To solve this I connected dish to the recorder and let it find all available stations for my area. After completion of this I then re-connected to Sky+ box and every thing is now OK. (Hopefully by the time I start using Freesat there will be a bigger choice of channels of which there is a dearth at the moment in my area (Scottish Borders).

All my needs are met with this recorder. Copies from Sky+ box to either DVD or recorder hard drive. Records direct from Sky+ (program being viewed only)and I still have the ability to record to Sky box. I have it connected via AV1.

The manual is well written, though due to dislexia (I have difficulty in absorbing the written word) so hard for me to follow when it keeps referring to different section in manual (I cannot remember what I read a couple of minutes ago) But with perseverance I get there.

Whilst playing music the screen saver is very handy as it stops "burning" of TV Screen. Though it is better to click "Slide Show" (RED button on list screen) to start it right away as opposed to waiting the 5 minute waiting period.

The reocrder is a wee bit picky when it comes to playing cetatin types of home made video CD's & DVD's. Disks that play perfectly well in other DVD players (And PC's) will not play on this (for example on a couple of home made "2 disk" set of Video CD's. The recorder will play either disk 1 or disk 2 but not both. Each "pair" of disk were made at the same time using the same computer program. For this reason I will only be giving the recorder 4 stars
Ernie

3.0 out of 5 stars It will be great when its fixed!!!, 21 Jan. 2010
Sam O. Said "Sam999" (London) - See all my reviews

But what's not been said here is the functionality of the unit, the sluggishness of the menus the poor implementation of many of the functions & the poorly thought out way copying to the DVD. I'm staggered that a company such as Panasonic have made such a machine, I could have sworn I received a pre-production or a beta model but no this is the real McCoy, warts and all and my it does have a few warts,

So what's the problem, well when recording you can only record directly to the hard disk in 'DR' mode whatever that may be, you cannot record in SP or LP etc, why.. Once you've recorded the program and want to copy it over to the DVD you cant, the program has to be manually converted from 'DR' to one of the standard modes (SP. LP etc), no problem I hear you think, well to convert a 2 hour film to Standard Play takes err um two hours, and in those two hours you cannot do anything else with the unit, you can't watch a satellite program or another on disc all you can do is watch the movie your converting, handily Panasonic has added a feature that will do this for you automatically once the unit's switched off or in sleep mode. Once converted the file can be copied to DVD, insert a blank disc select copy choose high speed and if all is well the Pani will start copying over onto a blank disc, while its doing this you can watch another program on either the hard drive or one of the two satellite receivers, copying is done quite quickly - around 25 minutes or so for a two hour movie.

If you want to copy a couple of movies or multiple programs with a greater combined file size of 4.6G onto a single DVD the fun really begins. Firstly unlike earlier Panis this machine wont automatically determine how much compression is required to fit to disc, you have to guess for yourself, the choices are XP,SP, LP,EP & FR, XP being the highest quality while FR being the lowest, Once you've managed to work out which recording compression to use usually by trial & error, and given the OK the Pani will now start probably the most infuriating process in it's repertoire, copying a large file(s) using compression or a couple of movies lasting two hours each copied from Standard Play format to Long Play will take about four hours, but while its doing this process the machine cannot be used for anything else, you cannot watch a TV program or another movie on disc, all you can do is watch what is being copied, this is sooo annoying, I now do the copying just before I go to bed, my old Panis never worked like this, all the copying stuff could be done in the background while one could watch TV or a prerecorded movie.

Another rubbish feature is the painfully slow menus, I could waiste a lifetime going from one menu to another, it is so infuriatingly slow. If you want a HD-DVD recorder I wouldn't bother wait for the next generation to come out or check out the competition, as a HD PVR its very good but 250G is a bit limiting for high def content only allowing about 37 hours of high def content. Would I buy another. maybee but only when its been fixed.

Added coment 16-Feb_2010 ---- I've just bought the Humax Foxsat HDR for use in another room and have to say it's in a different league to the Panasonic, just so much better in almost every department, shame it does not have a DVD recorder built in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product - an ideal replacement for SKY, 29 April 2010
M. Evans (Newport, Wales) - See all my reviews
This product was a replacement for a SKY+ HD box which we had had for a year. We were not paying for the premium sports and film channels with SKY but were still clocking up a monthly bill of over £30 for the rest. Most of the time, we watch the mainstream channels but liked the option of HD, pausing live TV and recording 2 channels at once. After some research, this product seemed the best option. Also, there is only so may times you can watch repeats of 'Escape to the country', Fawlty Towers and the Vicar of Dibly!
Set up of this product was easy - forget the installation recommended advice. The product allows tuning of satellite channels other than Freesat. In truth, there is not much else of worth out there - apart from the option of other ITV regions and SKY news.
Your set up is much more streamlined with DVD, hard drive and satellite tuner all in one box. Picture quality is excellent. The only significant drawback - and this is referred to in many other reports - is the slow speed of the box in warm up and changing between screens. Having had the box in operation for over a month, the big question is 'Are we missing SKY?' Answer - not at all, and have the benefit of watching more WORTHWHILE HD with ITV HD being on Freesat but not on SKY. A very good purchase.

2.0 out of 5 stars please read..It will be great when its fixed!!!, 9 Mar. 2010
sams review is spot on,if i had kept the packaging i might be returning it!!!its very,very slow,the menues are slow ,the copy to disc from hd is slow(my old cheap liteon is much quicker)its not that easy to use.the quality of recording is good ,the manual is good(and its needs to be,as its quite a complex bit of kit).even the open cd draw is slow.beware if youre thinking about buying this one,modern technology should be much better than this!!!!booo to panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 6 July 2010
I bought this recently to replace a cheap free to air set top box, vcr and dvd player. I'd already bought a Sony HD ready TV, but had been disappointed by the picture quality I was receiving.
I have to say the Panasonic DMR-XS350EBK has transformed this. First of all standard definition programmes are much improved and high definition is stunning, so really pleased on this account.
To achieve full functionality I connected two cables to my satellite dish to make the most of it's twin tuners, and connected an ethernet cable to make use of the Viera Cast internet connectivity.
Set up was really easy. Just connected it to my TV with an HDMI cable, turned everything on and went through the auto set up. Couldn't have been simpler.
There is a full Freesat on screen programme menu and favourites can be set up. Recording to the hard drive is easy as once the programme is selected you can either view, record once or record a series.
Photos and music can be transferred using a usb memory stick. The photo software is a bit cumbersome but the display is stunning (far better than on my computer)
The Viera Cast is a bit disappointing as the internet content is very limited, Youtube being the only site I found interesting, but again videos are displayed well. BBC iplayer will be available on Freesat soon, so that should be interesting.
The DVD recorder does exactly what it should. I've played dvds and been very satisfied. I have not tried recording to dvd yet but assume I will when I find something I wish to keep.
All in all, this is a fine piece of kit. It's great to get back to just having one box under the tv as opposed to three, and I'd recommend it to anyone who does not have access to Freeview and wants subscription free Digital and HD TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Device, 11 Jan. 2010
Amazon Customer "IanD" (Peterborough, Cambs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This Panasonic device replaced a Sky+ HD box and a much older Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder. It has proved to be a very good choice.

Having downgraded from Sky to Freesat, we find the Programme Guide as easy to use as the Sky one, although obviously Channel choice is severely restricted. The biggest weakness at present with Freesat is the lack of High Definition channels. Currently, Channel 4 for example, which has been available on Sky for a long time is not available.

In use the machine is better than Sky HD. Picture quality is excellent, the system is easy to use, facilities for moving around within a programme are much more flexible. The box is very quiet in use.

The box is not faultless. The biggest drawback is that it is slow to start up. It takes a long time to start when first switched from standby to on. It is also slow in other respects. The programme guide is slow when moving, for example, from morning to evening programmes.

Overall, I am very pleased with the device and think it performs well. I have also unexpectedly found its ability to handle pictures and music useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted with excellent piece of kit, 26 Mar. 2010
Jack (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these as we were suffering from black-box overload under the TV and I wanted something that could do everything, so with one fell swoop it replaced the VCR used for videoing TV, the DVD player and the satellite box. I was slightly put off by the other reviews talking about how slow the menu / operating system was, but in my view you'd have to be seriously impatient for that to be a major problem - yes screens and menus don't change instantly, but the short delay was nothing like as bad as I feared from some of the comments below. Image quality is good, on playback DVD, HDD and I'm sure the satellite image is crisper too. Only disappointment is audio which is certainly not good enough to replace my standalone CD-player, but more than adequate for TV and film. Was a plug and play from our previous (FreeSky) installation and in operation is so simple that my better half (who is a self-professed technotard) is already using it confidently. Looks like copying to DVD will be slightly fiddly, but for the price I am absolutely delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Missing Feature...., 19 Jan. 2010
E. Kemp (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, it is not possible to record the TV signal from the tuner directly to a DVD. Recordings can only be made to the HDD, then they can be copied to discs. See Page 18 of the instruction manual, which can be downloaded from the Panasonic website.

For many people this will not be important. But in our house, we frequently remove the disc and watch the recorded programme in another room. Of course, we could just copy the programme from HDD to DVD and then remove the disc. With high speed recording and using DVD-RAM discs, this takes about three minutes per hour of recorded programme. Not a big deal really, but I imagine it could become annoying if you have to do it regularly.

Other Panasonic machines (with Freeview tuners) enable you to select either DVD or HDD as a destination for recording the TV signal. I can only suggest that the lack of ability to record directly to DVD on the DMR-XS350 is some sort of agreement with Freesat to protect the HD (High Definition) channels from being copied directly to disc. Or perhaps an HD programme would create too big a file size to fit on a DVD.

I will mention something else that will seem obvious to some people, and a revelation to others! This machine has two Freesat tuners and in order to be able to use them both (not everybody will want to), you will need two feeds from your satellite dish. This will mean running another cable from the dish or replacing your existing one with a twin cable. And if your dish only has a single LNB, you will need to change it to a multiple one.

I've no reason to believe that this isn't a great product, but it just lacks one feature that I personally value quite highly. My review isn't so much to rate the machine, as to draw your attention to something that isn't immediately obvious and that I can't recall reading in any of the professional reviews I've seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freesat Wonder, 30 Sept. 2010
This unit was purchased as a direct replacement for a SKY HD Box; too many repeats too few actual HD programmes; if you select 'made for HD' on their menus you will see what I mean; SKY only transmit in 1080i which is a nonsense for everyone with a 1080p television.

This Panasonic twin tuner PVR is every bit as good as SKY's HD Box but additionally this Panasonic PVR has a DVD Burner included.

After powering down SKY HD box it was disconnected; all connections were made to the Panasonic before powering up the unit; set up for FreeSat was automatic, quick and efficient; set up of all other channels was simple but it took a considerable time, but it was worth it.

Television automatically indicated 1080p

Recording operation of the unit is similar to SKY Box via EPG, i.e. single programme / series link

Burning to DVD is straight forward although programmes recorded in HD cannot be copied/burned in fast mode; these files have to be transcoded then fast copied almost real time recording.

Quality from PVR and DVD are excellent