5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing
What a sad,sad story from an equally strong woman.To keep that inside to herself for all those many long years.What it must have cost her.
It is not often that material about other ethnic groups who also suffered heavily in those times.
I have perused much material on this subject over the years but I have never read anything such as this before.
You do...
Published on 2 July 2010 by naomi skinner

3.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Holocaust
I have read many books related to the Holocaust which I have found interesting. Unfortunately I have found aspects of this read not relevant and at times the editor has given a poor translation.I am sad to report I did try to read all of it however lost interest half way through.
Published on 20 April 2011 by Becky's reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Revealing, 2 July 2010
naomi skinner "valkyrie" (australia) - See all my reviews
You do yourself a great injustice if you do not read this touching,heartfelt account of survival.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 15 April 2011
bookworm "Sue K" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Secret Holocaust Diaries: The Untold Story of Nonna Bannister (Kindle Edition)
Nonna Bannister kept her diaries to herself for a great many years, only disclosing the journals to her husband towards the end of her life. During her time in US she told no-one of the terrible events that they revealed. Despite these experiences, I loved that she remained such a kind, generous person and gave everything to her family - as she had been taught by her loved ones back in Ukraine before and during the early war years. I, too stumbled across this little gem as a kindle freebook and was totally overcome by her simply-written but very descriptive and poignant journals. Books like this should never been forgotten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holocaust Diaries, 14 April 2011
I have read many books about the Holocaust and experiences of people from those times, but never have I read such a detailed and personal approach of this event. This was the first book that I have read on my Kindle and I found that I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know the next tragic and fantastically brave happening to this extremely wonderful girl of so few years. It must have been absolutely heart wrenching to have lost so many members of your family and in particular your own mother in this barbaric period of history. I felt extremely emotional for this young girl and hope that she is now at peace with her wonderful family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reality check, 12 Oct 2009
I was disappointed to read that the one and only person who reviewd this book before myself gave it a 1 star and was disappointed. I feel very different about the book. To me this was an eye opener. I have a great interested in the Holocaust and the books that are written have all been written from a different view point, but with the expereince being one of torment and pain. This book shows it from a different angle! Nonna does not say she is a Jew, in fact if you read it well and her own history you are given the insight of a child who was lost and confused about who she may have really been and what her forefathers may have got up too! Remember her grandfather was a cossack! Russian History. This book gives one the view from those who were not Jews but suffered in the Holocaust and the war. That is worth writing about. Maybe Nonna was ashamed of somethings, maybe she wasn't a great writer or translator, but who are we to judge the writing because we think it must be in a certain way! No we are to rememeber so that wars can be avoided! Do you think we have really remembered? So many wars and its 2009!

5.0 out of 5 stars How lucky we are, 23 Sep 2011
What can I say - I shed many a tear reading this book and I felt the need to share the horrors I had read with fiends as it was very thought provoking. There is some confusion over timings and names at times but considering Nonna was a child when she wrote most of the original notes you have to expect slight variations/memories.
However much you want to believe that another human being could not witness never mind commit such evil acts in your heart you know its true.
There is some lighter areas but expect a gripping but very sad read. I am glad Nonna eventually got peace and happiness after surviving such horrors and it is a clear reminder how lucky we are.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Secret Holocaust, 20 April 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read, 18 Jan 2012
Because this book is in fact translated from six different languages and over a lenghty period of time it can be a little disjointed as some of it is retrospective and some of it in real time. However this is not the type of book that one would decide to pick up for its literary excellence. It is the type of subject matter one has to brace oneself to read and on that premise I would recommend it. It is sad and it is in some parts harrowing but it is also exceptionally brave and really very touching. It's short so easy to read in one sitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars None, 24 Nov 2011
I've got to say I was all ready for packing in this book after the first few chapters as I thought it would be too upsetting and I'd be having nightmares but I'm glad I picked it back up and gave it another try. There were some distressing parts but I found it very interesting and still can't believe that things like this were happening only 70 years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 22 Jun 2009
jdbri (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is meant to be Nonna's diary when she was a girl. Little of it is independently verifiable and the editors concede the diary itself contains many contradictions as well as entries that disagree with the known facts. Add to that that much of it is clearly isn't written contemporaneously (Nonna seems to have translated and interpreted her own work without any attempt to show what was original - see the excerpt available on Amazon for clarification of this). The source material is lost. Nonna made her husband promise not to show her writings to anyone until after her death (I don't think she expected it to be published) so she's not around to clarify any entries. She wasn't a professional writer so the book doesn't read well as a `story' and what she writes is of little historical value.

You may find this book `uplifting'; Nonna had a strong Christian faith. Indeed, the three reviews (all glowing) inside the book are all from religious sources. The editors, too, are Christian. But if your interest is primarily social history then you may find this book as disappointing as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving book, 12 Jan 2012
A very interesting and moving book, I do not want to say too much about the contents because it is better for you to read and try to understand for yourself how or why this happened