on 26 February 2015
I hadn't needed a serial port for years but a recent interest in electronics and microcontroller programming makes it very useful again.

I have a USB to serial converter that worked well in Windows 7 but the chip inside is unsupported in Windows 8. Faffing around with those things (certainly the cheap ones) is a common problem. I suspect that what is supposed to be a Prolific chip in mine is in fact fake. Prolific's web site has a prominent warning about nasty Chinese knock-offs labelled to look like real Prolific chips, but not fully compatible with the genuine ones. Hence driver support can vanish when Prolific updates its software and of course the hardware fakers don't write their own drivers to go with their bogus not-quite-right chips.

So I decided to hook up this genuine old-fashioned com port socket to the header provided for that purpose on my motherboard. Construction quality of the item is good. Because it brings a traditionally implemented com port to the outside of the PC, it works fine in any OS that supports com ports. This certainly applies to current Windows and Linux, and is likely to do so for a long time yet.

So if you have a motherboard header and a free blanking plate slot, buy this instead of a USB to serial cable, along with a proper null-modem cable. Or if you buy USB to serial cable, don't be swayed by some of the ultra-low prices. The cheapness may come at a price. Spend more on a reputable brand that's likely to give a smoother ride in the long term.
on 9 June 2012
A very simple job to install in my (homebuilt desktop case - not under warranty) PC and it's provided a working serial port for me to plug my old modem(s) into. The cable is sufficiently long at 40 cm so I can put this right down the far motherboard slot backplate area and the cable still reaches. A simple but important product and at a price that was a real bargain. Be aware that a minority of motherboards may require a crossover wired version of one of these (this one is straight wired) so check with your motherboard supplier or the product manual.
on 7 March 2011
Assuming your motherboard supports this, its cheaper to install this than use a USB-RS232 adaptor cable. I find usb-com ports keep readdressing themselves to other ports. Good quality and quickly despatched from supplier.
on 1 January 2012
This hard to find item is needed if like me, you have a UPS (or any device needing a serial control port) that needs a control connection using the serial port. Some newer ones use USB, but mine does not. Many new motherboards have all the internal header pins needed, but no connections to the I/O section, as this area tends to be reserved now for the important modern feature connections like ESATA, HDMI, LAN, USB2, USB3 etc to fit in with the standard size for normal cases. This uses the motherboard header-pins, but NOT a motherboard card slot, only a rear slot-plate position. This item was a really good price, and came quickly.
on 5 September 2011
I bought this speculatively to add a working COM port to my ASUS A8N-E Mobo so I could connect a vintage PSION PDA. A lot of people had said to expect issues because of the way ASUS wire up the header connector, but this worked first time at 19200 baud. Great service form the 3rd party supplier (Kilatek) who I have used for other itmes in the past and would recommend to anyone, and this is the cheapest (and longest) of its kind anywhwre.
on 23 June 2014
Needed a serial port for an old thermal printer and this connected to my brand new Asus motherboard's COM header to provide a regular old serial port. Zero problems, much recommended.
on 27 December 2012
Old geeks like me like serial ports. There was one hidden on my motherboard, and this item brought it out to the back of the PC. Works perfectly - what more can I say?
on 31 October 2013
I needed it to plu an old Wacom Intuos serial tablet into a new PC motherboard, it worked, enough said.
on 11 March 2015
Good quality, easy to fit, providing your mobo has the necessary header.
on 16 October 2014