Size: 16GB|Colour Name: Black|Change
Price:£22.98+ Free shipping

on 23 April 2010
This is a good quality USB flash drive, which offers the added advantage of a re-tractable connector. The downside is that the default of the USB file system is "FAT 32" rather than "NTFS". What this means is that you cannot save individual files greater than 4GB as this is the maximum file size for FAT 32 files. The main reason for purchasing this USB flash drive was to copy large files! Most computers these days have defaulted file systems in NTFS, providing greater increased security. The plus side is that it's very easy to re-format to NTFS, allowing you to save individual files of any size. The second downside is that the USB flash drive comes pwith pre-loaded free software, which is not necessary. Just simply delete it! Having said all that, this is a great flash drive. Ps. if you need to find out more about FAT 32 or NTFS just Google it. Regards Keith.Sandisk 16GB Cruzer USB Flash Drive - Retail Pack
66 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 January 2010
Anyone want a virtually unused and most definitely unwanted Sandisk Cruzer? It has neat ergonomics and a great price, but it is so slow that it is unusable. I get a data transfer rate of around 5MB/s - which means it will take over 50 minutes to fill the whole drive. I have now bought two Bytestor 16GB hi-speed sticks from Amazon at a similar price and they transfer at 20MB/s.
55 comments| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
I have no idea why some people are saying this device is really slow... It just isn't. After plugging this into my USB port I transferred a 320 MB music mix to the drive and it took just under 30 seconds. Easily writing at over 10.5 MB per second. So it appears it will do around 3 GB in 5 mins. If a 100 MB file take 10 seconds its going at 10 MB per second, if some free software on the net says otherwise... It's wrong! So don't read too much into the negative slow reviews as it clearly performs just as it should. People should consider other things that may be causing slow transfers as the device seems perfectly fine to me an my PC. However after testing myself it seems to be the case that the device transfers quicker when using the default FAT32 format and is slower for NTFS. The 320 MB file took 30 seconds with FAT32 and nearly 50 seconds with NTFS. NTFS is only really required if you will be storing any individual file over 4GB in size, in which case a Pen drive isn't really suitable anyway an you should buy an external HDD instead. So don't be put off its a good flash drive and performs exactly as it should. Don't hesitate to buy it.
I have the older version of this as well, but I can't see what the difference is, which is absolutely fine by me, as I have no complaints whatsoever. I find it useful for transferring large photo folders to our PS3 for viewing on TV.

The orange light is the same as before, which means fairly typical and not at all distracting to me.

Pretty massive capacity, relatively cheap, password protection, no lid to lose - what more do you want in a flash drive?
on 9 March 2010
Some nice features. I personally don't use the U3 that this comes with as my usb pen is used mainly for schoolwork rather than media. This is still a very useful feature.

Another good feature is the sliding connector. This stops damage to the pins which is especially handy as this spends a LOT fo time in my pocket.

Overall a very good product with some excellent features. Recommend to anyone.
on 12 July 2011
This is in my opinion a good reliable bit of kit and although many say the transfer rate is a little slow I think you'll find if your using a high speed port the transfer rate is as good as any other 32gb device of this nature.

My only gripe ( hence the four stars, and not five ) is concerning the very useful U3 programme installed on nearly all Sandisk memory sticks... until now that is. Admittedly there is a few useless programs that were included in the U3 setup which could quite easily be removed ( Uninsulated ). Having said this, the U3 password protection program is a great bonus, as over 95% of memory sticks have no security protection at all, thus allowing anyone with a computer easy access to you contents by simply plugging it in.

Sandisk in their wisdom ( Not! ) no longer install the U3 programme, but have no fear... it can be download quickly and very simply by typing 'u3 software' in the Google search bar. Just hit the top link and bingo... you have the download tab staring right at you. Click on it and follow the basic instructions, and before you know it you will have a fully protected and secure memory stick.

JUST ONE QUICK TIP:
Do remember your password once it has been setup. Should you forget and enter the wrong password more than three times, your memory stick will be completely formatted ( Wiped Clean ) and you will loose everything stored...
on 16 March 2010
3 gigs of music in 16 minutes. I have a usb HD that will copy the exact same folder in 2 minutes flat. I really cannot recommend this drive because of the terrible speed issues. Very disappointing.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2010
This gets one star due to the following reason. It's very very slow. I copied 9GB in 50 minutes! For a device as big as this at 16GB the write speeds need to be way way faster.

I can see why other reviewers said it would break as it just feels like the plastic casing would eventually un-glue and fall apart.

Apart from that though, if you're just after mass portable storage then this would suit your needs. If you need fast read/write access then you'll need to pay a little more for something faster.

I've returned this.
on 8 November 2009
This is a great product. Small, lightweight and easy to use. There is no need to worry about losing the top as it doesn't have one. It simply retracts! It stores lots of information and can be attached to a lanyard or keyring. What more could you want?
Would definitely recommend this product.
on 22 March 2010
If you overlook it's cheap looking design and construction this flash drive has only two faults, it's performance and it's bizzaro irritating LED behaviour.

Sandisks spec for this drive is a write speed of 9MB/s - using a freely available testing utility I got a maximum of 4MB/s and this uses a "sequential writes" protocol that yields best case results - ie if you transfer lots of smallish files expect much poorer write speeds. This matters because even at 4MB/s it would take over an hour to fill the drive, real-world transfers would be even slower.

After my first data transfer I noticed the extremely bright LED pulsating as if the device was "panting" after it's exertion, I wondered if it it would stop. It didn't.

I did an internet search and found that Sandisk use three different controllers for their flash drives only one of which shows this "panting" behaviour. This may be significant since after uploading my performance data to the website which provides the testing software I realised that my drive was in the bottom tier for performance as drives with the same PID (USB product ID) were showing write speeds of up to 13MB/s! - In fact my data was amongst the slowest, some showed 6/8/10/12MB/s writes).

From other reviews no-one seems impressed with the "panting" LED - it's extremely distracting and may well be associated with a poor performing controller.

I sent mine back for a refund.