4.0 out of 5 stars Why the complaints??
Published on 12 Dec 2012 by Rockster

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, so very very slow
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Why the complaints??, 12 Dec 2012
I have no idea why some people are saying this device is really slow... It just isn't. After plugging this into my USB port I transferred a 320 MB music mix to the drive and it took just under 30 seconds. Easily writing at over 10.5 MB per second. So it appears it will do around 3 GB in 5 mins. If a 100 MB file take 10 seconds its going at 10 MB per second, if some free software on the net says otherwise... It's wrong! So don't read too much into the negative slow reviews as it clearly performs just as it should. People should consider other things that may be causing slow transfers as the device seems perfectly fine to me an my PC. However after testing myself it seems to be the case that the device transfers quicker when using the default FAT32 format and is slower for NTFS. The 320 MB file took 30 seconds with FAT32 and nearly 50 seconds with NTFS. NTFS is only really required if you will be storing any individual file over 4GB in size, in which case a Pen drive isn't really suitable anyway an you should buy an external HDD instead. So don't be put off its a good flash drive and performs exactly as it should. Don't hesitate to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sandisk 16GB Cruzer USB 23 April 2010, 23 April 2010
Mr. Keith D. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SanDisk SDCZ36-016G-B35 16 GB Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
This is a good quality USB flash drive, which offers the added advantage of a re-tractable connector. The downside is that the default of the USB file system is "FAT 32" rather than "NTFS". What this means is that you cannot save individual files greater than 4GB as this is the maximum file size for FAT 32 files. The main reason for purchasing this USB flash drive was to copy large files! Most computers these days have defaulted file systems in NTFS, providing greater increased security. The plus side is that it's very easy to re-format to NTFS, allowing you to save individual files of any size. The second downside is that the USB flash drive comes pwith pre-loaded free software, which is not necessary. Just simply delete it! Having said all that, this is a great flash drive. Ps. if you need to find out more about FAT 32 or NTFS just Google it. Regards Keith.Sandisk 16GB Cruzer USB Flash Drive - Retail Pack

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, so very very slow, 26 Jan 2010
Amazon Customer (South West Enland) - See all my reviews
Anyone want a virtually unused and most definitely unwanted Sandisk Cruzer? It has neat ergonomics and a great price, but it is so slow that it is unusable. I get a data transfer rate of around 5MB/s - which means it will take over 50 minutes to fill the whole drive. I have now bought two Bytestor 16GB hi-speed sticks from Amazon at a similar price and they transfer at 20MB/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints, 9 Mar 2010
Some nice features. I personally don't use the U3 that this comes with as my usb pen is used mainly for schoolwork rather than media. This is still a very useful feature.

Another good feature is the sliding connector. This stops damage to the pins which is especially handy as this spends a LOT fo time in my pocket.

Overall a very good product with some excellent features. Recommend to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 3 Dec 2009
E. Smith (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I have the older version of this as well, but I can't see what the difference is, which is absolutely fine by me, as I have no complaints whatsoever. I find it useful for transferring large photo folders to our PS3 for viewing on TV.

The orange light is the same as before, which means fairly typical and not at all distracting to me.

Pretty massive capacity, relatively cheap, password protection, no lid to lose - what more do you want in a flash drive?

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not so reliable...., 4 Jan 2011
S Bullen (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this before leaving on a seven month trip around Asia, specifically so I could back up photos. Two months in, the thing decided to crash and was unusable. Kept it until I came home, sent it off to a Sandisk recommended recovery company who tell me that there is nothing they can do. 4GB of photos I hadn't been able to back up gone forever.

Won't be using this with any confidence again.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little on the slow side., 29 July 2010
Chris "chrisgb" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been using this after a series of Sandisk Cruzer Micros (2, 4 & 16GB), and this 32gb Cruzer non-Micro is noticeably slower than these other drives. It seems as well built etc. as the others, however, but there are a few little hitches and pauses in general use which balance out the convenience of having 32GB in your pocket which aren't present on the Cruzer Micros. It's nothing disastrous, but annoying, and I'm unsure whether the flash memory on these other drives is just a lower spec.

Either way, it seems to do exactly as advertised. Just a little more slowly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great drive, no keyring attachment, 25 May 2010
Jay Marathe (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Nice robust USB stick with retractable capless design. Regrettably no longer comes with ring to attach to keyring. The tiny metal pole in the design is too small to attach directly to a keyring, and would require a very thin lanyard, which is not supplied in the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY VERY SLOW, 16 Mar 2010
3 gigs of music in 16 minutes. I have a usb HD that will copy the exact same folder in 2 minutes flat. I really cannot recommend this drive because of the terrible speed issues. Very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sllloooooowwwwwwwwww, 26 April 2010
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This gets one star due to the following reason. It's very very slow. I copied 9GB in 50 minutes! For a device as big as this at 16GB the write speeds need to be way way faster.

I can see why other reviewers said it would break as it just feels like the plastic casing would eventually un-glue and fall apart.

Apart from that though, if you're just after mass portable storage then this would suit your needs. If you need fast read/write access then you'll need to pay a little more for something faster.

I've returned this.