4.0 out of 5 stars Another tale of offline versus online...
Published on 19 Aug. 2009 by Adam McGee

3.0 out of 5 stars well made but idiotic
Published on 18 Sept. 2009 by Cal

4.0 out of 5 stars Another tale of offline versus online..., 19 Aug. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
Having had FNR4 since release, I've found it to be brilliantly enjoyable and completely frustrating, more the former, however the frustrations do strike hard. Offline, FNR4 is a treat to play, be it against a friend or the CPU. The new physics engine really is something, you can sense when you've made full contact or a partial hit, the way you can make a punch come out of nowhere depending on how you've ducked or weaved, it really is an immersive experience. The whole presentation is fantastic (though the commentary does get a little repetitive) and it really does look the part. While some of the lesser known boxers move in a rather generic fashion, the top boxers, your Ali's and your Calzaghe's, move in their distinctive styles, making the experience authentic and enjoyable.

Legacy Mode is the area where a lot of people will spend their time and for the most part it's very good, the difficulty gradually steps up and it's takes hard work and dedication to get to being the Greatest of All Time. Creating your own character with Game Face and the ability to import other created boxers adds a bit of spice to proceedings also, fighting a computer-version of one of your friends for a championship belt is rather fun! It does drag a little towards the end of your career, especially when you've fulfilled all the requirements to be the Greatest of All Time expect the number of fights, so you slog through the final fights just to get to the end. Also, having completed this once and gained a gold trophy, there's little scope for replayability.

A lovely touch is the instant replay system, where you can replay the last minute or so of your fight, trim it down, create multiple camera angles, slow/quicken the speed and even upload it to the EA servers, perfect for capturing that 1st round knockdown you scored against your mate.

A few niggles concerning the total punch control (which, personally, I prefer to button pressing as it created a feel that you're actually executing the punch yourself), sometimes response times can be a little delayed (especially online!), notably I find uppercuts are every so often delayed, and in boxing a split second is very important. Overall though, I feel the total punch control works very well and generally the punch I am trying to execute is the one I end up playing.

However, where FNR4 ultimately falls down for me is online - and partially through no fault of it's own. Firstly, it generally doesn't lag and games are relatively smooth, though there are sometimes issues with punch timing - a handful of times I've seen a haymaker coming towards me, tried to block or move and the slight delay in responsiveness has meant I've been hit anyway. As I said though, mainly online bouts are smooth and lag-free. My main issues with online are with other players. Step into the ring in an online match and any strategy goes out of the window - it's a case of whoever can throw the fastest punches wins. I've played online since release day and only once was I treated to a match where my opponent seemed to want to block, sidestep, weave and counter punch, resulting in an enjoyable bout. Every other game has resulted in a series of wild attacks for about 7 rounds, until whoever gets that vital last knockdown goes on to claim a victory. One cause of this is the fact that, no matter how many punches you throw, your stamina won't get as low as your opponent if you spam them with body shots from the off - if a fighter is faster and starts targeting the body quickly, your stamina drains and then they can pick you off with head shots. Having been beaten and used this tactic myself, it can make the game a little laborious and predictable. With the upcoming introduction of button controls I fear this will only get worse, where people figure out the perfect height to weight ratio for a boxer and spam their way to a victory. And who can blame them? Unfortunately if there is an option of getting the win in one fashion over another, a large majority of people will take this route. However, I feel playing online takes most of the enjoyment out of the game - boxing should be strategic and if played as such FNR4 can be immensely rewarding, unfortunatly in the quest for a few gold trophies in World Championship mode, the vast majority of games turn into something more akin to a playground brawl.

FNR4 is a great game, there's no two ways about it, and online can be enjoyable, but for me it's a similar story to many games - you just can't beat playing a mate on 2 player in your own home. Perhaps it's because if the two of you are there, neither of you wants to be 'that guy' who just spams, whereas online it's more anonymous and the win is more important than the enjoyment. Who knows, maybe I'm just rubbish (but as I've completed legacy on GOAT mode, I don't feel this is the case)! All in all, a worthy investment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fught Night Round 4 - one of the best PS3 games of the year, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game soon as it came it out and i got it delivered in 3-4 days, so it was quick delivery from amazon.

Fight Night Round 4 has very good game, with awesome graphics, excellent gameplay that has got good artificial intelligence, it's bursting with wicked fighters such as Mike Tyson, Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Joe Calzaghe, Roy Jones Jnr, Ricky Hatton, Manny Pacquaio, Miguel Cotto and many more, altogether 42 in fact.

It has totally eclipsed its predecessor Fight Night Round 3.
Also what I enjoyed was the new legace mode which is basically the old career mode, which has improved significantly also a new feature that has been put is when you can put yourself in the game by adding your photo.

However what the downfall of this game is that it has missed out on some big fighters that were in the previous game such as Oscar de la Hoya and Bernard Hopkins which is a shame, but you can still get them in boxer share online whre players have created boxers that resemble these boxers that they have uploaded online so other players can add.

Overall a very convincing game to buy, I would seriously recommend if you are a sports or boxing fan. I would rate this game 9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fight Morning, Noon and Night!, 15 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
This is simply the best boxing game I have ever played! Ok to be honest it is a genre that is badly under supplied and with the exception of Ready 2 Rumble .. which was a less serious take on the noble art of fisticuffs.. boxing games have tend to be quite poor affairs.

Fight Night Round 4 takes off quite brilliantly where Round 3 left off with innovations such as the TBC - Total Boxing Control and extremely impressive dare I say jaw dropping graphics! The music, not to everyones taste from reading some reviews I loved .. nothing like some adrenaline boosting hip hop just before a rumble!
From the first jab thrown to your last jab cross combination any true boxing fan will find it hard to not be impressed. The learning curve is quite good as you can generally pick and choose your opponents and this is vital if you are going to succeed at the legacy mode.

If I have any gripes about this game they are fairly minor and probably not worth considering, but to make it a balanced review here they are -

1. Taking cautious steps on the road to greatness means that of all the professionals on the heavyweight section .. all but Lennox Lewis and Mike Tyson had retired by the time I felt I was ready to fight them! No fighting Muhammad Ali so that took away some of the worlds best feeling.

2. When you get knocked down the new system for reviving yourself is clunky and doesn't fit in with the general classy feel of the game. I much prefer round 3's approach to this part of boxing.

3. Training!! Got bored of these after a brief while and thankfully and auto train function has been added.

These minor quibbles aside this is a solid contender for the best sports simulation game on the PS3 not only the best fighting game. The tactics involved and the eb and flow of real life boxing is captured beautifully you can almost feel the punches! lol
This game is truly a serious contender for Greatest Of All Time!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice change for some, 5 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
Having played the fight night series waiting for round four to come out felt like forever, I was not disappointed with what they have done with the game either. The fighting system had changed from the previous fight night and some embrace this welcome (like me) but not for others.

To me the new system makes combos a lot easier to pull off and the block system for me seemed a bit more realistic. The physics in the game is just astonishing and to see the flex of every movement is very impressive. You can also download players from people who have taken the time to make in the create your own boxer with a range from Rocky to famous singers like Michael Jackson or Kanye west. The only thing wrong with the game is that it is far too short. After fighting around thirty fights in the game I had more or less conquered my weight class and after moving up I defeated the top contender and beat all three champs by about the 40th fight. You then fight contenders whom you have either destroyed previously or new contenders that you will destroy.

But for two players with friends round, providing you have a usb camera, you can make yourself as a boxer and fight each other in the ring which can be pretty fun and you can even enter them online and battle your way through to becoming the world champ.

Overall, this game for some hardcore fight night fans they can be sorely disappointed with this game but with patience you can master the new controls you can have fun fighting your way to the top. Online play can be fun but lag may be an issue unless you fight locally. Out of ten i would give it 8/10

3.0 out of 5 stars well made but idiotic, 18 Sept. 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
The head moevement and feel and foot work and EVERYThING about these fights are so goo but styles are ruined by inhumanely strong chins. Don't get me wrong, you can KO a talented foe but fighting boring can sometimes be the only way. As an underdog it can be impossible to KO some people. As BIG George I got 11 MONSTER hits on Lewis throghout a fight and many other real crushers and he isn't KO'd!

Big George: The hardest hitter in history

Lewis: Renowned for his glass chin

the punishment people can soak up spoils things for me and you find yourself landing 169 haymakers to the head and 102 and two to the body (with stamina to spare) whilst your oponent hit you with 106 hitsin total none haymakers and somehow wins despite a lack of toughness stats to my MEGA hand speed/power. RRAAARR what's the point!!??? it leaves you thinking. but I suppose it is actually really good but very much spoilt

1.0 out of 5 stars What a joke!, 4 Dec. 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
This one has NOTHING to do with real life boxing. I mean.... I countered Lenox Lewis over 70 times with Mike Tyson. I knocked him down 3 times!!! And he still beat me! I KNOW that I'm not the best ps3 player out there but too much is just too much.

It seems that your oponent gets stronger with every clear shot you land. Dont even think that you will knock him out if you have him dizzy. He will turn into a raging bull that is capable to throw the strongest punches.

Why can a trainer fix you up more if you knock someone down??? That is just ridiculus!

CMON...for the love of GOD! What is wrong with you people out there giving all the great reviews to games like this one.

This one sucks like hell. It is also very boring. And yes...even I missed some of the names of the boxing world.

This game is not worth more than 5 bucks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game !!, 1 July 2010
A92 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have all the previous editions of fight night and i can honestly say FNR4 is drastically better than the lot.

The improvements made have me startling, from the incredible graphics to the intense game play. There is a host of boxers past and present to choose from which makes the game even better and as you are allowed to play online now, you are able to pit your wits against the best players from all around the world.

The only negative i can think of is that the training mode in "career mode" is actually quite difficult. At first i thought it was only me!, but then i asked a few of my mates who also had the game and they seemed to agree with me. Training mode allows your boxers to develop, so the better they train the better they become overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought with doubt in my mind, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
So I bought this after saying to the seller "does this version actually work?" he then said "how do you mean?".

Basically I used to have fight night 3 and I hated it simply because it was so misguided your punches didn't seem to have any kind of target you constantly missed and just had to basically stand there while you got your face crushed because there wasn't any point fighting back because if you did you just missed anyway.

Now fight night 4 seems to have rectified that problem your shots land and the fights are a challenge just as they would be in a ring if you actually were fighting live.

There is alot of well known boxers who all have different styles i would without a doubt recommend this game.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best sports fighting game there is!, 17 Nov. 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
I have played all the Fight Nights and I'm not saying this is the best one but as good as the others. Of cause the game is getting more and more realistic and the whole gaming experience is excellent.
Some criticism I have to give to the training-system and fight scheduling. Both are totally unnecessary. The training is quite hard and frustrating and I just don't get the fight scheduling. I could coup easily without both of them.
The gaming itself is excellent as always. The total punch control -system works very well and is easy to learn. Some adjustment have been made since the last game but nothing major.
The game is not perfect but this is the best sports fighting game there is!

5.0 out of 5 stars challenging and rewarding, 29 July 2009
This review is from: Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) (Video Game)
I usually don't buy boxing games but after playing the demo it really made me want to play the full game, so I promptly ordered it from amazon and have been playing it since. A great control system and fantastic graphics really make you feel like you're boxing, it's a lot of fun. It does get quite hard but that is another thing I like about FNR4 - it's a challenge. I've read a lot of reviews slating the new control system and I have to say that although I never played the other Fight Night games, I think the new punching system is very good - it almost makes you feel like you're actually throwing the punches. Overall I highly recommend this game, it's a lot of fun.

Fight Night Round 4 (PS3)
Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)