4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gadget!
Published on 16 July 2008 by J. Jordan

3.0 out of 5 stars Throw your maps away?
Published on 29 July 2008 by Redrib

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent gadget!, 16 July 2008
J. Jordan (UK) - See all my reviews
Great little unit. I purchased and used only last week after comparing Tom Tom One XL and the Nuvi 255W for several weeks. Nuvi had much more extensive maps and that was really the thing that swung it for me. I was in France and Belgium last week and the Nuvi took me directly to the front door of my navigation points. I also travel to Poland quite a bit and as I can't speak Polish it will help me find the right streets.

Before I purchased I read a lot of people saying that it takes ages to find satellites, which concerned me. When turned on, it does take a couple of minutes as part of the normal start up process, but this not a problem as I just turn it on whilst I walk to my car and it is ready when I reach the car. The unit doesnt get a signal indoors however (can't think why one would be neededed anyway), as it needs pretty clear site of the sky.

Pro's
-Easy to use
-Extensive maps, including Eastern Europe
-Quick recalculation when you miss a turn
-Much cheaper compared to Tom Tom with equivalent maps
-Can add your own Point of Interests (POI's). Loads of sites where these can be downloaded for free
-You can point and drag the map and then navigate to a different point
-Extra features, calculator, convertor etc are very good.

Cons
-No case
-In pedestrian mode the unit can be confusing as it isn't sure which direction you are going for a while. This can be a little frustrating
-Some Tom Tom features such as simulation mode are more elegant
-No case included

All in all great little unit and I would definitely recommend over the Tom Tom XL!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets you there, 30 Mar 2009
This review is from: Garmin Nuvi 255W 4.3" Sat Nav with Full Europe Maps (Electronics)
If you are looking for a no frills sat nav that is reliable and will get you to where you are going then this is the one to get. Having said that, this is my first sat nav, but I did a lot of research before opting for this one. I didn't need any extras, just wanted to get to places. It is the same as the which best buy 205 but with the addition of European maps (you could just get the cheaper regional 205 and add European maps if you needed them, but maps are more expensive to purchase as add-ons, than if you buy a model with them already on).

Having driven through London with this, it makes a potentially stressful journey quite easy. It has very clear on-screen mapping which gives you extra support for navigating around huge junctions. The voice is pleasant, and gives turn-by-turn directions. You can choose fastest route, direct route etc and it has a detour option to take you around any bad traffic or road works. It comes with screen mount, car charger (which also acts as the Arial for the traffic alerts), but as yet I'm not impressed with the traffic feature as it didn't pick up on a bad motorway hold up. However this feature is only as good as the information provided to it, so I guess this is not down to Garmin. It comes with a month of free speed camera alerts.

If you are looking for loads of extras, like mp3 player, speech to text etc then this doesn't have them so go for another model. I thought I wanted speech to text, but the road it directs you to turn into is written on the top of the map on this unit, so it does the job just fine.

The display has a daytime and night time view and will change automatically depending on the light, or you can set it to stay on your prefered view. It has a 3D and 2D map view, a pedestrian mode and a few other things like a currency convertor, places of interest, nearest places to eat, nearest petrol stations and shops.

All-in-all I love this, and I now look forward to driving without trying to balance maps and directions.

Cons
The traffic detection doesn't work as well as it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver., 17 Oct 2008
M. Bray "Mia" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Much Much Much better than a Tom Tom! The maps are clearer, the directions are much less confusing. The worst i've had is that it temporarily got confused what road i was on, but it corrected itself within seconds. Has tons of points of interest too, and lets me know where speed cameras are. If the camera doesn't encourage you to slow down, the beeping if your going too fast for it soo will! But unlike the TomTom it only beeps when your near a camera, not EVERY time you go over the limit which could get annoying! and if you go the wrong way she manages to direct you back without telling you to do a U turn or getting annoyed at you - brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant, 6 Nov 2008
Set up time for the Garmin Nuvi 255W is exceptional get it out switch it on and your done, it finds satelites quickly and redirects in seconds if you get it wrong. The battery charges rapidly using the in car charger supplied. The maps are clear and very easy to navigate around using the touch screen. It takes very little time to install all your favourites and has a fantastic range in the Points of interest. If you miss the last instruction just touch the top bar and there it is repeated and written on a split screen. I have read reviews saying that the maps are not current I bought mine, registered at garmin.com and was directed to a free update to install 2009 maps. I particularly like the feature that allows you to search and navigate your route in indoor mode.This is a brilliant piece of kit and, in my opinion, outshines Mio, Tom Tom and Navman for the price and features included. Only down side it doesn't come with an Ac charger, no big deal, when you have this you will want to be in your car using it. it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of kit, 26 Sep 2008
M. J. Baker "SatMan" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Having happily owned a TOMTOM for the last 2 years i jumped ship and updated it with the Garmin 255W. What a difference!!!! The Garmin is light, user friendly and very accurate. Mapping and instructions are excellent as is the satelite coverage.
Great value too, just a shame there's no carry case especially as its supposed to be mobile!!
Buy this and you'll have no regrets!

4.0 out of 5 stars Its like having a personal navigator without the hassle, 3 Aug 2008
Mr. G. Lacey (Argyll Scotland) - See all my reviews
I purchased the nuvi 255W after many agonising hours/days/weeks of comparing the various satnavs on offer, Tom Tom,Navman,and Garmin.
I decided on the Garmin because of its extensive coverage of Europe. I tried it out for the first time yesterday and was extremely pleased with its efficiency. It worked straight from the box,and was easily programmed even by a novice like me.
My only problem was in getting the plug in browser downloaded from Garmin but that was my lack of experience with computers. All in all I would recommend this product as value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent purchase, 6 Jun 2009
Stephen Bullock "sandman" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Purchased this item a couple of weeks ago based on the various reviews - I have only used it on a couple of local journeys to try it out and I think it is an excellent piece of kit for the money.

Pros -

Very easy to set up straight from the box
Menu really easy to understand
Fast at recalculating
Wide screen version recommended for visual display and easy to locate below the dash for short journeys
Points of interest menu excellent and you will use much more than you think.

Cons
Does not come with case so definitley purchase as it will be fairly easy to damage both the unit and the screen
Does not come with USB connection lead however I used the cable for my MP3 player and it worked fine.

In summary - an excellent choice of satnav for the money - would definitly recommend to my friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mapping could be better, 29 Aug 2008
L Williams "les-williams" (Exeter) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This unit was originally advertised as having Text to Speech, i.e. it speaks the street names; it doesn't, only the American, New Zealand and Australian versions do, not the european one!
The unit feels nice and solid, has a good touch screen, is nice and loud and the battery lasts for hours. I found it very slippery to hold and as I was scared of dropping it I bought the case, which has a tendency of accidentally switching the unit on as it is put away!
It acquired satellites quickly and the destination was easy to put in by address or post-code. It also has a useful list of local "attractions", ATMS, restaurants, hotels and the like but these are well out of date and will need updating; unfortunately Garmin don't provide a USB cable, or mains charger!
It also has a photo viewer but this wouldn't work with my camera's SD HC card.
The mapping could be better, occassionally telling me to take the first exit off a roundabout whilst correctly showing that it was the second! Also in Spain it diverted me off the main road down some dirt tracks and although it was more picturesque and I did get to my destination it took longer and required extra driving skills down one-track roads (although I guess it was shorter!)

3.0 out of 5 stars Throw your maps away?, 29 July 2008
Redrib (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
My Nuvi 255W is my first experience of SatNav. Overall,I have found it to be very easy to operate and, when I followed it's directions, I have never failed to reach my intended destination - but what fun I had at times! Living in Cornwall, where we have hundreds of miles of very narrow lanes, my Nuvi makes full use of them. I use my Nuvi at the 'fastest' journey setting but it will still lead me down the narrowest lanes with me hoping that I am not going to meet a vehicle approaching from the oposite direction! Sometimes, when I have set up my destination, but ignore it as I drive, but go the way I have learned from experience, my journey has proved to be easier and quicker. But, hey, doesn't that woman nag!

The Nuvi maps are not up to date and, on one journey, the screen indicated my car travelling cross-country. 'She' was really confused. The screen speed is not accurate and can be between 2 and 7 mph slower than my vehicle's speedo (which is accurate). This would therefore suggest that the calculated ETAs cannot be very accurate. The POIs are useful but where are the National Trust Properties? Best take a map. The list of petrol filling stations is useful, but for that matter, where are the police stations? My Nuvi shows police stations to be the same petrol filling stations, as above.

Well, after some negatives, let's look at some positives. The Nuvi 255W is remarkably fast at locating the satelites. Just a few seconds, really.
On the move, the excellent screen gives clear mapping and indicates the position of my vehicle very accurately. Using the 3D mapping, that I prefer, it enables me to clearly see, with just a quick glance, up-coming bends and road junctions - good safety feature, and to unravel some of the not quite clear, even puzzeling voice directions given at times.

The Nuvi has its idiosyncracies but, after some experience, one can get used to them. I am getting to enjoy it and I now feel confident to venture into England!

5.0 out of 5 stars My best purchase for years, 27 Mar 2010
The Garmin Nuvi is the first satnav I have owned. I am the most pathetic techno-phobe, panic at the sight of every gadget. My only previous experience using a Tomtom in Germany was not reassuring, left me driving the wrong way up a dual carriageway. The Garmin Nuvi has been a revelation. Setup was blissfully easy, very forgiving. It then functioned immaculately for 2 weeks in France, autoroutes, cities and remote areas. Maps are excellent, audio instructions timely and easy on the ear. Route recalculations are swift and obliging - no insistent commands to "do a U turn" in the middle of a motorway. The only early hiccups were when I failed to trust it, and the odd occasion when I took an exit (eg from a roundabout) too early. I haven't begun to explore the Nuvi 255W's full potential yet, but for basic navigation functions I have found it brilliant. Also for speed cameras etc. Don't know how I lived without it!

ARRAY(0xad556e58)