5.0 out of 5 stars For Mac Users - yes it does work
For any Mac users in doubt: this comes with lots of Windows-compatible icons on the box and NO hint at Mac compatibility but the truth is that it absolutely is more than compatible with your Mac. Just plug it in, launch Disk Utility and re-format as Mac OS extended. It takes all of 5 seconds. It's fast, and it looks beautiful too. Just do it.
Published on 23 Mar 2010 by Alethea Contepomi

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 500GB USB HD
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by RB

5.0 out of 5 stars For Mac Users - yes it does work, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: Seagate 500GB Expansion Portable USB 2.0 Hard Drive (Personal Computers)

1.0 out of 5 stars Seagate 500GB USB HD, 7 Dec 2010
Not at all pleased with this item or aftersales service from Seagate. The drive froze and could not be reactivated after only minimal usage. I contacted Amazon they said it would be better to get in touch with Seagate, this involved registering on their website and downloading a diagnostic tool, this I did and it confirmed what I already knew, the drive was faulty. This is the frustrating part, I found it was impossible to return the item to Seagate even though I had a return number, their website just kept taking me around in circles. In the end I contacted Amazon again and they sent a replacement the next day, returned the faulty drive to Amazon in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very neat, very fast, 4 May 2010
This hard drive arrived very quickly and I purchased the recommended black case logic hard case to go with it. The drive fits the case but is very slightly too long, although this does not make much of a difference as the case still closes, protecting the hard drive without causing it any damage.
I bought the 500gb drive which has plenty of room on it for the entire contents of my laptop hard drive and therefore acts as a very good back up. I bought the drive because I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7 (the drive is Windows 7 compatible) so needed to copy all my documents to another drive as they would get wiped by the upgrade. I originally copied everything onto two memory sticks but it took over an hour and a half to copy across all my files. When I received this drive, I copied all my neccessary files across (about 20gb) and it took less than seven minutes which by comparison was very fast. The drive is very small and neat - a complete contrast to an old external hard drive I have at home which was bought only a few years ago and is five times the size, but only 80gb!
I hope this has been useful! I highly recommend this hard drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars external hard drive, 10 Jan 2010
C. Evans "Base Camp" (uk) - See all my reviews
Having trawlled through so many different types od EHDs I settled on this one: Seagate 500gb portable. When I plugged it in it worked straight away. Very simple to use, quick and effecient. No problems whatsoever.
Delivery was quick and efficient.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shoulda' Listened, 28 July 2011
Having read reviews telling me that this HDD breaks down after a few months, i chose to ignore them, telling myself i would just be very careful...

Considering the technology is fairly simple within the HDD it has managed to breakdown on me after only a few months. I would not recommend thsi HDD to anyone. Steer clear!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars best priced portable hard drive, 2 Feb 2010
Not merely an external hard drive, this is designed to be carried about. Does what it says. No complaints. Doesn't need any external power, just the usb cable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked great....until it died, 29 Nov 2010
Having received this product as a christmas present last year I was pleasantly surprised at the build quality, general user- friendly traits and how quiet it was.

Unfortunately 11 months on the hard drive accidentally disconnected from my computer and when i tried to plug it back in the computer no longer recognised it. The lights are lit on the hard drive itself and it makes the same sound whirring sound but theres no life to be had from it.

After looking on the internet it quickly became apparent that there are many user examples of seagate hard drives just giving up and dieing. So now I believe there is no way of retrieving my university essays, music, documents and movies off of it.

Maybe should've gone for a more reliable hard drive rather than the most aesthetic and economical.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it!, 23 Sep 2010
Well, I bought this product and thought it was super, it worked very well for approximately two months. Then one day I plugged it in to my computer and it began to make a low beeping noise and the computer didn't recognise it.Once I googled the problem I saw that countless other people had had a similar problem. I can't express how disappointed I am! Especially when I found out that the company offers to recover files for around 600, other companies offer data recovery for about 300.
If you value your files, don't buy this!

1.0 out of 5 stars Perfect at first, problems start after a few months, 8 July 2011
Most of the 5 star reviews are from people who have just received their hard drives. I would also give it 5 stars 6 months ago.

After a while, the drives start clicking and one day it will stop working altogether. And I'm not alone - just looking for solutions on Google surprised me as to how many people are having the same problem.

All's good for Seagate though, they get a nifty sum when you have to pay for their data recovery services. The perfect plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish, quiet, easy to use drive., 5 Feb 2010
Really impressed so far, no problems at all. The fact it runs of the USB makes it very easy to carry around and transfer files around the house, and the 500GB storage is ample for most users. I am currently using this with TimeMachine on the Mac and have no problems what so ever. Very pleased.