Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 December 2009
I purchased this album off the back of hearing Cry Me Out and Turn It Up performed live in a concert a few weeks back, and it is a brilliant debut album. I am in love with Turn it up and Cry me out, both songs have such mesmerizing features about them. As well as having the hit singles mama do and boys and girls on it, this album is packed with songs that could well be future hits. If you like what you've heard of Pixie's so far, you'll like the rest of the album too.
'Turn It Up' is a very good modern pop album. Pixie has a good, powerful voice and (for once) the songs, while poppy, are not overly complicated by the inclusion of 'guest rappers' or too many production gimmicks. Sure, there are occasions when Lott overdoes the vocal gymnastics but songs like the excellent, 'Cry Me Out' bode well for her as an artist in the future once a bit more maturity sets in - that is of course if the way things are in the music industry these days Pixie gets to continue her recording career long term...

As with a lot (if you'll excuse the pun!) of modern pop albums 'Turn It Up' is pretty low on musical variety - most of the songs being upbeat, bouncy and of similar length. This said, hits like 'Mama Do', 'Boys And Girls' and album cuts like 'Jack" and 'Gravity' ARE good enough to remain in the memory after the record is done and this quality raises 'Turn It Up' above the plethora of similarly styled pop albums.

I give four stars here because as pleasant a listen this album is and as much of a modern pop classic 'Cry Me Out' is at this stage in her career PIxie is still very much a 'superstar in the making'. Whether she will ultimately have the staying power to remain amongst the elite I don't know but she has a great voice, great looks and the potential to if the notoriously fickle record buying public continue to support her...
on 17 July 2011
Amazing album from start to finish. Slick production, smoky, seductive vocals and clever, socially aware lyrics, Turn it Up is a joyous debut from a very talented young lady. I first became aware of Pixie via a magazine article about the 'next big things' which included Adele, Duffy et al. Although Pixie has not had as much exposure as say Adele, I would argue that she is the more talented. Not only is Pixie a great song writer but she also has a great voice and her own unique sound. Every track is a winner, in particular the timeless tear-jerker Cry Me Out. When I first heard Mama Do on the radio I thought it sounded like an Amy Winehouse track, but Pixie is no clone. She has her own style and is one of the most exciting artists to emerge from the UK in the past few years. Turn It Up is an album you can listen to from start to finish without skipping tracks. Very cool, very classy. At this bargain price, it would be a crime not to give it a try!
on 20 March 2014
Let's face it - Boys And Girls and Mama Do are 2 of the most awesome pop tracks ever to come out of England. Big kudos to Pixie for those 2. This album is, in fact, fresh and original, and the only stinker on it is 'Jack' - what made the brilliant Pixie think a nursery rhyme set to pop music would be a winner??

Anyway, 'Jack' aside, this is a fantastic album, proving why Pixie is one of the brightest new stars in British pop. Apart from 'Jack', every track on here is catchy and funky and original. Cry Me Out is a ballad with bite, proving that Pixie can tug at the heart-strings as well as the dancing shoes. If you want an album that really rocks, that's more mature than Miley 'oh look, I've stuck my tongue out again' Cyrus, that will in the near future undoubtedly be called a classic, then this is the album for you. I love it!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2014
Pixie Lott's talent as an aspiring singer/songwriter is much in evidence on this 2009 debut release. The soul-tinged 'Mama Do' and the uptempo 'Boys And Girls' were, unsurprisingly, distinctive enough to reach No. 1 in the singles chart; other highlights include the gorgeous ballads 'Cry Me Out' and 'Nothing Compares' as well as a couple of classy mid-tempo numbers in the shape of 'The Way The World Works' and 'Gravity' - the last named being probably my favourite song on this album.

Although the music critics have often found Pixie somewhat lightweight, both in terms of material and vocal delivery, I really enjoyed this album and played it several times over a couple of days ~ usually a good sign that I rate it quite highly. If you enjoy pop music, with lashings of soul and R&B in the mix, then I can heartily recommend this to you.
on 12 March 2010
This is a really great debut album. Pixie has a fantastic voice & range and the arrangements are great too. The lyrics are good though not to the same standard as Lilly Allen's. With any CD you expect to find some tracks which are weaker or don't appeal, but this album is really strong throughout, much better than The Fame from Lady Gaga which really only has just a few good tracks. I don't like the introduction to Gravity, but beyond the first few bars it turns into a fabulous track. I have listened to this album again and again ... and again. Come to think of it "Here we go Again!" I can't believe how much enjoyment I have had from this for just 6 quid.
on 6 October 2009
I bought this for the daughter of a friend, after we'd listened to Lady GaGa, sitting in the sun with the roof down on the mini. We both liked GaGa and as she had never heard Pixie Lott before I decided to send her a copy for her birthday as I knew she would love it. My daughter then bought me a copy for my birthday and it's on constantly. This is a really fantastic first album and it can only get better for Miss Lott...she is amazing.
on 29 October 2010
No seriously, I don't know if this is a problem other people have had, or if I got a faulty disc. I had to whack it up to almost max on my amp to hear anything! Anyway, once I did, the results were nothing less than sublime.
Who says that Pixie is style over substance? "Tracks" (as they call them) like 'Cry Me Out' speak to the soul, while 'The way the world works' is a proto-Marxist telling reminder of the current post-recession coalition government's knee-jerk reaction to the failure of consumerist policy.
And if she gets her norks out on the next album cover she could go "Katy Perry".
on 29 January 2010
I bought this album after hearing Boys And Girls and clips of the other songs on YouTube and it was an excellent buy. Pixie's voice is very mature and powerful and I think she will go far in the music career. Tracks that really stand out to me are Band Aid, Nothing Compares, Gravity, Here We Go Again and Boys And Girls, however ALL the songs are very good. She mixes different styles, for example Boys And Girls is a pop, dancy number but Gravity reminds me a lot of Beyonce's slow songs. All the songs are different from each other, with a couple of ballads thrown in. Great job Pixie!
on 23 February 2010
Came really quick, very impressed.

Loved it really great album, loved every track, did not disappoint.

Will be purchasing more - great stuff.

S.Ashley.