5.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit Despite a Fall
Despite some of the previous reviews, I decided to take the plunge and purchase a Satmap GPS.
Two reasons made me take this decision.
1) I was keen on using GPS with a built in OS map as it somewhat removes the need for route planning in advance
2) I am not keen on touch screen especially outdoors and with gloves.
So following the purchase and some...
Published on 13 Nov 2009 by Mr. M. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but getting slightly dated
I've upgraded from quite a few handheld GPS devices over the years so a bit of experience with them. My previous one was a Garmin 60csx though more and more I'd started to use OS maps and GPS on a Nokia E90 phone. The Garmin is very robust, weatherproof and quick to track satellites but the screen size and lack of proper OS map was off putting. The Nokia phone has the...
Published on 23 Mar 2010 by Paul W

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BIT OF KIT EVER PURCHASED, 23 April 2010
WD ORVIS "fell walker" (lake district) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
Don't listen to any of the bad reviews on this item as all teething problems have been solved by the excellent people behind this product. This is the best bit of kit any mountain walker/hiker/rambler/climber would ever want, it has never failed me in over 2 years, week in week out in the mountains in all weather conditions and in all sorts of tough/rough terrain with or without paths, On occasions has even prooved friends of mine who have been walking for over 50 years wrong and also a royal marine on several occasions who believes he knows everything there is to know about maps and compasses. Time and time again it never fails and if it says a path is 10 metres in that direction in mist it is there, every single detail is perfected and i cannot find one flaw in the device especially now the updates to software have been done. Do not accept any cheaper immitations as this piece of kit is the only one out there for any serious walker. If you have a problem with the price of the maps the cheaper versions 1:50000 are still as good as you can get and there is plenty enough detail even for the more serious walker in fact all marines only go off 1:50000 due to been able to see the bigger picture better, but if you can afford the 1:25000 maps you will not have wasted your money. What could be better than having a OS map with your position and direction placed directly on the map? REVOLUTIONARY AND THE BEST BUY OF MY LIFE AND YOURS IF YOU ARE KEEN ON THE WILD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
This is a marvellous piece of kit. I saw it reviewed on The Gadget Show. Reviews online say it is intuitive to use and it certainly is. I now know for certain that I am on a footpath even if the farmer has placed fencing with barbed wire across entrances. I can shorten or lengthen my walk by looking for other footpaths while out walking. The Lithium battery that comes with the Plus version seems to last for ever and is well worth having. I purchased the whole GB map card with mine so I can now walk anywhere in the UK. It was the 1:50000 version and is certainly sufficiently accurate enough for my walking exploits. Seems quite a lot of money but well worth it in my opinion. You also get access to the online route planner which does exactly that. Just pick somewhere you would like to walk, a starting point, find some footpaths and start plotting your walk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Work it out for yourself., 15 April 2010
M. Blacker ""Dinosaur"" (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
If your a technical type you wont have any problems I am sure. However I did, my main gripe is that unless you download the instructions from the net the ones that come with the device I found inadequate. I am still having trouble downloading routes for example. The device came with the water mark described by others but this was simple to sort (once you overcome the fear of breaking the damn thing)!!as was the removal of the original battery carrier, you cant achieve this gently. The device itself is very good, it locks on to satelites within 5 mins, the maps are great and it is very accurate. The buttons are not as clunky/clicky as I would like, they dont have a positive feel about them but once you are used to them they are perfectly functional. Overall I am happy with the product, its strength and longevity yet to be tested.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not reliable enough, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
Ok, I've had this unit some weeks now and given it a good going over. Firstl, the conrtols become very easy to use and it does not take long to get very acustomed to the functions and various screens.

My gripes really are to do with the reliability and the constant crashing of the apparatus. Maps are a vital part of outdoor activities like walking, cycle touring, Fell running or whatever your bag. I bought the unit for operating without paper whilst on the bike cycling through remote parts of Britain and Europe.

The mapping is great - no doubts. The elevation data is questionable however and this does matter to the cyclist beieve it or not.

The reliability of the unit has been poor with of only two out of ten trips being completed with the unit not crashing and not being able to get it restarted for some hours. The mearest jolt of a pothole causes the unit to do this.

The unit is incredably slow to pick up satelites. There is too much data for the cyclist and the unit would be better with bigger numbers relating to av speed, speed, distance and dispense with rest - much like a cycle computer. For the walker - what do you really need to know other than where you are?

I really cannot reccommend this product and would advise you to buy paper based maps and stick with them untill the technology improves.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced, 20 Aug 2009
P. Thompson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
I have named this Naf Sat as I was far from impressed. The OS maps were great but I found the screen difficult to see in bright light. It took forever to gain a satellite lock. Average time was about 15 minutes to gain a lock even in open country. The compass sometimes pointed North to a Point of Interest instead of South. There is no post code search facility on the active 10, only on the plus model, and you can't upgrade either.

It's very expensive and SatMap want money for every option including car charger etc.

Email support was friendly but unhelpful.

I've returned the device for a refund.

2 stars for the quality of the maps but let down by the device.

3.0 out of 5 stars Others are catching up fast, 12 Aug 2010
I. Harper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
Satmap was pretty much the first to market with usable OS maps on a GPS device nearly three years ago. At the time, this was revolutionary, but now it is becoming standard and this unit is rapidly being overhauled by the competition. It has a few notable weak spots:

Price - the unit price plus full UK OS mapping brings the total cost over 500. Compare this with the brand new Garmin Gpsmap 62s + OS mapping for 399.

GPS sensitivity - the device is notoriously slow to acquire satellites from a "cold" start. It is outperformed by most GPS enabled phones in this respect. Is that acceptable at this price point?

Battery indicator - virtually useless and potentially dangerous, will go from indicating full charge to empty with no warning. This problm has not been resolved by any software updates

The Active 10 Plus package seems designed to reheat an ageing device rather than offering anything radically new.

To remain competitive, Satmap need to look at their pricing and introduce a new model. In the meantime, the expense of the current unit is looking increasingly hard to justify.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 10 Aug 2010
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
I have been thinking about buying a GPS unit for mountain walking for some time, but none of those I'd seen or heard of seemed that attractive. When I first heard of the Satmap I thought it was too good to be true. Recent reviews were very complimentary and I found a few individuals who had purchased one - all experiences were positive. So, I decided to take the plunge. A month later and several trips and the unit really does what it says on the packet. It is very difficult to fault it, apart from one very minor point - the 'beeps' are very quiet and hardly audible. I hace contaced Satmap about this and they have no suggestions. I suspect that the frequency is too high and so not audible to older hearing. For me, this is not a practical problem as I do not miss this facility.
Map live orientation is really very good, as is the ability to use the unit in anything from night time (using the red filter) to bright sunlight. It is very sensitive to the GPS signals, gets a lock very quickly, is very accurate (within a few feet, literally) and the battery-pack really does give more than enough charge for a whole day's use.
The maps seem expensive at first sight, but when you work out the number of maps you get on a card then it is a lot cheaper than buying the paper ones.
All in all, this is an excellent purchase for anyone who spends time in the hills - with 1:25,000 maps available for almost any area in UK or Europe that you are likely to visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful piece of kit, 9 Oct 2011
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
I spent a while deciding which walking GPS to buy and settled on this one due to the non-UK maps. I received this GPS just before undertaking a 30-miler, so didn't have a lot of time to play with it before setting off. It's just as well the interface is pretty intuitive, therefore. The GPS locks on very quickly (provided you read the instructions and don't move whilst it's trying to get its first-ever lock) - even indoors(!) - and the UK map is detailed enough for you to know when you've strayed from the path you thought you were following.

Good points: the screen, the interface, the battery life (provided you charge it up when you first get it), the sheer simplicity of use. The web site for sharing routes (you record your trip, turn it into a route, upload it for others - likewise download a trip you're thinking of doing).

Could do better: some way of measuring the distance along a route between two way points would be helpful in planning (or, if it exists, a better way to find it!). The electronic compass is a nice touch, but not as responsive as a "real" one.

Advice to purchasers: charge it up. Don't move before it gets its first GPS lock. Download the manual to something you can read it on (it's a PDF and there's a lot of "I wish I'd known that" in there). Don't follow Amazon's suggestion of buying a carry case as it comes with one.

I'm glad I bought mine. Some other reviews have mentioned problems but I didn't encounter any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
For a walking/cycling leisure GPS, this is excellent. I don't know of another GPS that includes the full UK 1:50000 Ordinance Survey. The large screen means that you can see both detail and context. The receiver appears sensitive; during a week in the Lake District, I didn't find any dead spots where too many satellites were blocked by the landscaper.

I found the controls easy to use and learn. It is is also very possible to enter routes from a guide book - easier than using the included web based "Route Planner".

3.0 out of 5 stars Satmap review, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Satmap Active 10 Plus GPS (Sports)
I used a Satmap GPS for the first time today ski mountaineering east of Glenshee. Accuracy and view of the map on the screen is no problem. As a GPS it is fine but the big problem I find is the buttons even without gloves. They are so unresponsive. If the manufacturer could sort out the buttons then this would be a great gadget - along with my standard paper map and silva compass of course!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›