on 11 February 2010
I purchased this phone and additional handset as a replacement for the BT set-up that I currently use. I particularly liked the facility of a phone that will work during power cuts without the bother of having to look in the cupboard and fine an old phone to plug in. This system also has a 'name and number' display facility that works with caller display so that you can see who is calling. My old system only showed the number. I have since added a further five handsets to the system to achieve house-wide coverage. This is important as I am disabled and cannot run to the phone every time it rings. The more I explore the facilities on this system, the more I like it!!!! I can truly recommend this system with an EXCELLENT rating.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 September 2010
I'd been searching for some time for a quality wired phone for my office. This package offers both wired (works if there is a power cut!) and a separate cordless phone. Both work well and I particularly like the large amber back lit LCD screens. The answer phone works well and is very flexible. My only complaint would be that you have to enter all your contact names and numbers twice - once on the base (corded phone) and again on the cordless phone - surely they could be synchronised!
on 24 October 2012
This phone system is clearly aimed at the home office market, offering a fairly businesslike base station with answering machine for the office bit, plus a cordless handset for use around the rest of the home (you can add more handsets if you like).

Both parts work well. Their LCD displays are easy to view, with big characters and bright backlights, and the keyboards (illuminated on the cordless set) are clearly labelled with a soft action. Setting up all the options requires care, but you get a good printed manual plus a quick-start sheet, which tell you everything you need to know.

The handsets use a `soft key' system which means that the three buttons under the LCD can sometimes change function depending on the screen symbols above them. It's mostly consistent (e.g. the middle button opens a menu), although some functions on the cordless handset (particularly the answering machine) are buried one or two menus deep and not immediately obvious, and you have to remember what a couple of icons mean. This might not be the best choice for someone who really doesn't get on with gadgets, but then no phone with this many features is likely to be.

The answering machine does what it says on the tin - it's easy to record your own greeting (although the built-in one is fine), skip back and forward between messages etc, and it can all be done from the base or cordless phones (although, strangely, you can only record your own greeting from the cordless unit). If you have caller ID on your line it can also dial the message-leaver back for you. You can screen calls, and also access the answering system remotely using a PIN (this can be switched off for security). You can't record two-way conversations, but that's not surprising at this price.

Integration between the base and cordless handsets is excellent. You can copy all your phone book entries between handsets in one operation (so only have to maintain them on one), and if you clear a `missed call' indicator on one, it disappears from the other. You can also make intercom calls, transfer calls, have conference calls etc. The cordless handset is comfortable to hold and its battery life seems very good (an easy 3 days off the charger), despite only using two AAA batteries. The base station will work as a basic phone in a power cut, a big advantage over cordless-only systems.

There were a couple of disappointments. The maximum number of rings before the answering machine cuts in is seven, the same as BT 1571 (I'd have preferred more). Sound quality through the handsets is a bit thin, although I'm getting used to it (speakerphone performance is very good, with plenty of volume available). You have to use Panasonic's cable to connect the base station to the phone socket (my old, longer cable didn't work, as warned in the manual). The units are stylish, but the plastic on the base station looks and feels just a bit cheap, not full-strength office quality, although for the price it's fine. My cordless handset fell onto a wooden floor and survived completely unscathed, so it seems solid enough.

Overall I'm really pleased with this set - it works very well and offers a very good range of features for an amazingly cheap price.
on 15 January 2010
You cannot record or listen to the answering message on the Base Unit. It requires your recorded message to be spoken into the Cordless Handset which is then transmitted to the Base Unit. Likewise you can only check it by listening through the Cordless Handset.
If you never change your message - no problem. But if, for example, you need to set an on-call emergency contact number at the end of each day/week and the Cordless Handset is in an adjacent office or not charged (or gone walk-about) it could be inconvenient!
Initial date & time must also be set on the Cordless Handset and transmitted to the Base Unit.
By today's standards the display screen is not brilliant but a real plus point is not losing the memory/answer-message when the electricity fails and you can use the phone without power.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 January 2010
i got this phone after trying bt, siemens, motorola and philips cordless handsets.
i work in a noisy enviroment so the most important factor for me is the earpiece clarity and volume.
all of the other brands i found to be rubish (ok for home use where it is quiet!) but i have found this phone to have excellent sound quality, with all the usual features working pretty well also.
if sound quality is important to you i would definately recommend.
i just need to see how long it lasts!
on 17 October 2010
Like the look of this phone and the fact that the base set is corded. Only one I found that had a corded AND cordless handsets.
Easy to set up. Big 100 entry phone book on all units and the ability to copy between units. Put your contacts in the handset then select copy to the base or any other handsets, very useful and a lot less time consuming. Yet to find a land-line phone that can transfer contacts like a mobile, but this day will come (maybe). The base unit does not have a battery back-up, but uses the phone line power to maintain it's memory.

Simple to navigate around the menus and a clear display on both units. 5 speed dials and hands free calling are a bonus on the base. You can use hands free with the handset, but not while it's in the charger.

On the down side, haven't found a ring-tone I really like, or how to switch off the base set key-tones.
on 25 November 2012
I liked the design of this phone and since I have been very happy with other Panasonic products (not phones) I decided to order it. Unfortunately, it did not live up to expectations.

This phone seems to have problems with some UK exchanges, and what happened with mine is that it failed to display caller ID (which worked on my old phone) which was quite annoying.

I should also mention that the sound quality from the second handset was unbearably poor.

I quickly returned the product for a refund and I am now looking to buy another phone, although after this disappointment I don't know what phone to go for.
on 4 January 2011
Got this at a special price from Amazon, a nice desk phone that's a bit more compact than appears in the pictures and the dect phone is fair quality. I got this as I like the corded phone option for the occasional power cuts I get in the village plus I never quite found Dect phones sound so good as corded but in actual fact this dect cordless phone packaged with this works well and is a fair improvement in audio quality than any other dect phone I've used.

The only gripes are as others have said, the slightly odd way to setup voicemail using the cordless handset despite the base unit having buttons for accessing 'some' voicemail features (why not all of them is a mystery!) but it's not deal breaker for me .... also the curly cord to the handset is a little stiff and short but again no big problem.... oh and slightly limited and dated ring tones, shame there's not a decent old fashioned ringer included.

Would recommend this as quality on phone line is certainly improvement over my old BT dect phone (no hissing which I used to get due to ADSL breakthrough despite many filters tried)
on 9 May 2010
I purchased these from Tesco as cheaper, but thought I would post review to help others. Fairly easy to set up - you just add the phone book entries to one phone and you can copy to any other of the same phones (not sure about using different DECT phones as the ones I have are all this make and compatible). Date and time really easy to set - really helpful that you can listen to answer machine messages from any handset - so I don't have to go to my answer machine which is in the lounge when I get in I can just check the handset in the kitchen which lists any missed calls and also can check answer machine messages from this handset. It is more similar to a mobile phone. The answer machine default voice is quite irratating, but seeing as I don't really ring myself, then I can not be bothered to change it (if you can?). I like this product and found it easy to use and would buy again.
on 5 June 2011
Have owned these for a couple of months now and: Very definately recommend them, they are excellent!.......... At last DECT cordless phones with speech clarity that matches a hard wired phone, and you can individualy control the volume. All the DECT cordless phones I've owned in the past have always lacked speech clarity, but these realy do equal a conventional hardwired phone.
Bought the base-station and handset (KX-TG6461)Panasonic KX-TG6461ET DECT Corded and Cordless Phone Set With Answer Machine - Black, plus two additional handsets (KX-TGA641)Panasonic KX-TGA641ET Additional DECT Handset for KX-TG641 Range. Easy to use and reasonably clear instruction booklet.
Watch out for the tiny base-station/cordless handset icons in the instruction booklet as certain functions (like part of the cordless handset registration process), have to be carried out from the individual units.
That said, what's realy usefull is that when registration of handsets is complete, any further changes you make (entering/changing your phone book of stored numbers etc etc), can all be entered once on the base-station and then transmited with one key press to all your registered handsets.
The only tiny niggle: the base-station handset "cord" is a little too short. If the base-station is wall mounted it's fine, but when flat mounted i.e. on a cofee table etc, and you're standing up next to it using the handset (I'm 5ft 8ins tall), then the cord is too short and tends to pull on the base-station.