5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!
I have read a lot of books regarding web design and this is definitely one of my favorites! Not only does this give you a refresh on how the web started and how web standards have changed the way we work and use the web, but it gives you good tips on project management. What really impressed me was the detailed explanation of the CSS box model and document flow...
Published on 7 Dec. 2008 by Mr. N. R. Pearce

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating
Having read a few other Web development books, I must say I'm very disappointed.
Considering that It's foundation based, it lacks a more "close to heart approach".
Published on 16 Oct. 2011 by Oscar Wilde

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 7 Dec. 2008
Mr. N. R. Pearce (UK) - See all my reviews

Then it goes on to show how to test, publish and maintain a site, which is the one thing that i didn't really know much about.

This is definitely one for the beginner or intermediate web designer and i would even say that this is close to being the web design bible!!!!

Go and buy this and then buy "Bulletproof web design", just to cover all angles!

5.0 out of 5 stars How I learnt to stop worrying and started to love code, 22 Mar. 2009
Here's a text that's going tell you all you ever wanted to know (well for starters anyway), about mark-up code but never dared ask in case it made you look too un-nerdy... :)

I must state that I haven't read the whole thing from front to back, but I'm not so sure that's what people who want help and advice about basic website building really need. What you require is to be able to grasp the salient facts quickly and easily. Get a grip on what's what and to be encouraged to get started straight away. "Foundation Website Creation" does just that. It's very clear and you can dip in and out it. It's got a great introduction - the basic premise is that you're already one of them:) a coder, and you're going through the process of designing something from scratch, the text is pitched at just the right level of competence to make you feel you understand and yet you want more. To be honest I've tried reading books about building sites, writing mark-up code and so forth before they either got too complicated too quickly, and/or assumed I knew loads of stuff I didn't or I felt as if I'd never get anywhere as pages rolled on and... So what we have are ten chapter headings divided into small bite sized chunks...And I'm just working my way through. The text is straight forward and often amusing and always keeps in mind that we're in this to make a business model that works... Oh and there's a brilliant index linking everything together.

My sincere appreciation to all three of the authors of this book for making me, an artist/painter, believe I might just be able to learn to stop worrying and love code. Thanks guys.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 16 Oct. 2011
The book is badly structured and hard to follow. It includes a few unnecessary chapters about project design and planning which could have been easily added at the end of the book. I expect a beginner not to take much interest in such things until he actually learns the basics of XHTML and CSS.
Another matter that frustrates a lot, is not being able to follow the badly given examples.
The authors introduce the novice reader with various tags at the beginning of XHTML with little visual impact and then proceeds on to building a website. While it may be easy to follow and execute commands, it's hard to learn.
I believe it presents the reader with many obstacles when you execute a certain tag and cannot see the results of it on a browser.
I could go on, but I won't.
Writing a book and especially a foundation book is not easy. It requires an understanding of the struggles that We, beginners, face and show us a more approachable way to it.
One who never struggled may never teach another.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate it!, 28 Oct. 2010
Have done basic web design a few years ago, so thought this would get me uptodate again. This book is very hard going and annoying, does not explain things at all well, examples like, lets change the colour and see picture for results are pointless when the pictures are in black & white! Seems to be written by a web designer who uses this stuff in his work but is not able to teach to others. Stick to your day job!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just coding, 26 Oct. 2010
I have been using web technology for years. A friend asked me to help him start to build websites (he is highly IT literate but knew almost nothing about the implementation of web technology). I found him this book.

I was so impressed, I bought myself a second-hand copy. And, it proves that you can teach an old dog new tricks (planning and analysis techniques)!

My partner (who also knew little about website construction) started to read it. In a couple hours, she had built her first web pages.

This book takes you through the basics of websites: not just building pages; but also how the Internet works and how to put your pages onto it. The book also gives some good advice about how to run a web design business. There is a particularly good section on planning and design using 'agile' techniques.

On the technology side, everything needed to build a modern, interactive website is covered. The mark-up and script sections are reasonable short, easy to comprehend, and remarkable comprehensive.

The only caveats are that: the book is a little too USA-centric (e.g. legal and cultural); I feel that some of the recommended service providers and profiled professionals may come from a fairly close-knit community; and that the book is slightly long in the tooth (even that maybe no bad thing when you are a beginner).

Having said that, had I had a book like this 15-years ago, my first forays into the world-wide web would have been a lot easier; virtually all the basics are in one place. A huge amount of high-quality information in 334 pages. The authors must be congratulated.

I am sure that is not the only book on the subject that you will ever need; but it should probably be the first one (it does not cover in depth: databases, server-side coding, etc. however, they are discussed). The tricky bit is finding it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 9 Jan. 2013
This book was amazing, aided my study for Web Development. Really helpful! Definitely recommend to people who want more information on CSS, XHTML and Javascript.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, tells you everything you need!!, 7 Jun. 2010
Great book, tells you everything about website design and the history of the internet that you could ever need to know! Very easy to read.