1,544 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box!
I bought this shredder having previously bought a laminator from the same maker, now its hard to get very excited about a shredder, it arrived, i unpacked it, plugged it in and it worked...
I have shredded loads of junk mail and the resulting waste should be good for kindling for my fire this winter.
The shredder itself has performed very well and does what i...
Published on 22 Oct. 2009 by Louise C

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheating and short operating time
Published on 25 Aug. 2011 by Mr Jan Benfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the box!, 22 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Aurora AS610C 6 Sheet Cross-Cut Shredder with Waste Bin (Office Product)
The shredder itself has performed very well and does what i expected - it shreds paper, I did have an old shredder a few years back which cut the paper into long strips - this one cuts it into pieces which seems to take up less room so i have to empty it less - which is good.
The shredder also is able to shred credit cards...I haven't tried this yet and will update here when i do.

Other than that it looks quite nice and doesn't take up much room, if you want a shredder for your home, I would say this is ideal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try and kill it !, 8 Aug. 2011
Try and kill it, I have put this shredder to the ultimate of tests, with the sole intention of breaking it as it was chosen by my wife and my opinion was not required. In the past if I chose something without asking her advice it usually gets broke and I get the blame. So I decided to clear out my office, three bin bags of mainly A4 paper were shredded in 50 minutes, no overheating even with continuous use only stopping for a few seconds to keep emptying the bin. After a 10 min break I then spent two and a half hours shredding newspaper, as I said my intention was to break it. I only stopped as there was nothing left to shred. We have now had this shredder for a month and it gets used every day, we are more than just casual users and it takes every thing we can throw at it. I have used many different shredders over the years and this is definately the best I have had, it looks good, it is very sturdy and amazingly quiet, there is no problem with the size of the waste bin all you need to do if you are doing loads at one time is to have a couple of bin bags next to you. I would recommend this shredder to anyone and if I do eventually get my wish to see it die I will buy another one.

Update. April 2012

Just had to order another one as I finally killed it. It can't shred canvas photos the threads in the canvas wrap around the blades, it certainly didn't go down without a fight there were three A4 sheets wrapped around the blade before it cut out. I had been using it continuously for an hour before I put the photos in it, this was the first time the overheating cutout actually cutout. I have told many people about this shredder and the ones that have bought one have all said the same as me, they are great.

I noticed that some people like a little window in the bin to see when its full, I can only suggest that this is a massive design oversight but can easily be fixed by cutting a hole in the side and selotaping cling film over the hole. (Making sure a responsible adult uses anything sharp in this process).

5.0 out of 5 stars Shredder, 13 July 2010
An excellent cross cut shredder for the home or small office. It does what it says with no fuss. Simple to use and empty. Ideal for preventing identity theft; the cross cut ensures that no paper can be pieced together. We were very pleased with the price and speed of delivery. Well done Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheating and short operating time, 25 Aug. 2011
The first time I tried to shred more than a few documents (2 at a time) the shredder overheated and jammed. After consulting the manual I waited the requisite hour for the motor to cool down. During this cooling-off period I closely studied the handbook to be sure that I avoided another shut-down. I was astonished to discover unlike my ribbon shredder (that would work all day without rest) the cross-cut shredder can only work for 2 minutes at a time followed by a 20 minute cooling off period.

Following on from this experience I looked for a comparison site for cross-cut shredders and discovered all that I found can only work for a maximum of 3.5 minutes followed by 20 minutes cooling-off.

I only bought this beast to improve on the security of my document disposal. I firmly believe that in the light of my experience, it to be essential that some mention of this severe limitation on use must be displayed in the Technical details on the Amazon site for each of the cross-cut shredders they are selling.

It may be that others are more technically aware than myself but I would certainly have not been so eager to buy if this problem had at least been mentioned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet and efficient, 4 April 2011
Ivan Strahan (Co. Down, N. Ireland) - See all my reviews
This shredder was bought to replace a cheap-&-cheerful one from the local discount shop and immediately the difference was apparent. Firstly, it cuts into short strips, rather than the long spills which could conceivably be pieced together by someone with extraordinary patience. Secondly, it is far quieter. And thirdly, it actually looks stylish and purposeful.
The design is well thought out, the lid sits in tightly, something which can't be said for other shredders on the market, and the build quality is excellent. Altogether a good buy and one which merits the highest rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aurora Shredder, 12 Dec. 2009
Mr. G. D. Little (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
A good solid product that does what it says on the tin. Very satisfied with performance so far (2 months use) and I am confident for the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aurora AS610C 6 sheet cross-cut shredder with waste bin, 13 Mar. 2010
Friends fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the 2nd shredder I have purchased. My first was a small table top one, which was very good and worked hard & well, but it finally gave up the ghost.

So, I decided I needed a slightly larger one. This one was perfect.
The main thing I notice is the QUIET engine noise when shredding, also it does not need emptying as often as my other.

I would recommend this to anyone.

I am very pleased with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 22 Aug. 2010
Good shredder... struggles a bit if you feed it 6 sheets at a time.
But with 3 - 4 A4 sheets of normal thickness it works OK.
I used it extensively on the day I bought it and it didn't jam.

4.0 out of 5 stars My first Shredder., 20 Oct. 2010
G. Royle (Manchester, U.K.) - See all my reviews
Trying out this has been a new experience for me. First impression is that the operating limitations in the instructions are very conservative, i.e. 25 passes per day (2 min ON/20 Min OFF). I suppose that might have assumed a regular six sheet engorgement. My personal experience has been approximately 2 or 3 sheets at a time at a leisurely pace and the little monster has kept its cool all day long. Result : over two days three bin-bags full of shredded old bills and statements. Certainly at the price I paid this is an impressive little machine. Retired now, I am a design engineer and find the machine stylish and efficient. However, like a wind-up watch it is something with which one has to build a relationship, e.g. being especially careful not to overfill the bin. Upon ordering I had decided not to buy the suggested lubricating oil. A good decision as the instructions state : "It is not necessary to oil an Aurora shredder - - - " The single sheet Operating Manual is very clear and I suggest reading it carefully before powering up. Being my first shredder I have been spared having to consider odious comparisons with other types. This Aurora AS610C will do for me. Now then, where did I put that £20 note?

5.0 out of 5 stars Greedy little beast - happy to feed little and often, 24 Oct. 2012
I am delighted with this shredder. I note instructions say 6 sheets, and a run time of 2 minutes before needing a rest of 60 minutes.

However, close reading indicates the 6 sheets are of very thin paper indeed - 75 gsm. As most bank statements tend to be 100 gsm or more, its obvious 6 sheets of 100 gsm is going to give your compact shredder toothache very quickly.

I decided to feed no more than 3 sheets at a time, and was surprised to realise that I had been pretty well continually feeding for around 20 minutes, and gone through a LOT of paperwork. Not 2 minutes, 20 minutes - at which point the quiet, satisfied chewing changed pitch slightly, going higher and a tad noisier. That was my signal to stop spoonfeeding this little shredder with paper. The motor felt ever so slightly warm and i decided it was time to burp the little dear, empty the basket again and put it down for its afternoon nap.

Not attempting to give it too big a mouthful of paper all in one go appears to make it happily hungry and avoids indigestion, upchucking or temper tantrums.

its a nicely sized, compact shredder, the cross cut smaller pieces also means that the 'shred' packs down more easily so you get more in the basket than you do with the more old fashioned long strip shredders. This means, basket emptying doesn't need to happen so often.

I must admit i felt a little uneasy at weaning this shredder onto small paperclips and small staples, which by all accounts it will happily munch, but I did decide it WAS ready to move onto solid food, and staples were happily crunched. I'm leary of paperclips though, and as I use these myself have decided not to feed them to the beast. And being well over a year away before the oldest credit card needs replacing, decided against sacrificing the card in a spirit of scientific enquiry. The instruction manual says it will shred one credit card at a time but this will stay theory, rather than practice, for the next year.

Safety features include not starting if the lid (where the motor is housed) is not properly fitted onto the base. Well recessed canines and molars should mean that a curious child (or foolish adult) is unlikely to be able to test if the shredder likes fingers.

Avoiding nasty messes on the floor when changing the nappy/emptying the bin is easily achieved by using a plastic bag as bin liner, hey presto remove bag and shred in one smooth operation.

Along with this, I also bought a special diet for shredders which get flabby through overeating and may need a quick once a month detox Aurora SP1000 Shredder Lubrication and Sharpening Sheets (Pack of 12)