4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, if you can get one that works
Well, it looks like eventually this will be a good product, when I get one that works. I got one that had been double-checked by powertraveller after getting two apparently non-functioning units.

Published on 6 Nov 2007 by I. Rawlings

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish solar charger for UK conditions
They have to tell you that in UK conditions it takes days befor you get a full charge on the charging unit using solar panel.
Although the product looks high quality and the charger unit is actually good (with lots of connector options provided), the solar charging is really useless, at least for me. I can't rely on this unit for unsupported camping trips...
Published on 25 July 2009 by E. Kuscu

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, if you can get one that works, 6 Nov 2007
I. Rawlings - See all my reviews

I'd recommend one, they're very good, now that the quality control issues appear to be over. The solar recharging appears to be actually practical, in the west of England on a cloudy Autumn day, it appears to have recharged about 25% despite being behind glass (which makes a surprising difference) in a west-facing window rather than south-facing (so only gets direct sun for a few hours).

The leads that come with it are very good indeed and all use the same jack plug for input, so I've since gone back and ordered lots of extras because you can use the power monkey to recharge one device, on a sunny day you can plug the panel into another device (I charged my mobile directly from the solar panel), use the USB lead to recharge a third if you have a USB port handy, and even recharge a fourth using the mains charger. The extra leads are reasonably priced and there's a very extensive range.

I'll just quickly side-track off to talk about the leads a little more;

Once you have a few of the USB retractable leads you start realising that you can replace all your multitude of phone/PDA/ipod chargers with one USB hub, and just carry USB leads around with you because you can use ports at work, at friends houses, buy a hub in another country if travelling etc. My ipod PSU with a four-port hub can now charge my ipod, phone and PDA. I have one of the leads hanging off the back of a Nintendo Wii in standby mode which is now the downstairs recharger for an ipod, a Nokia N770, another spare mobile phone, a Nintendo Gameboy Advance, a Nintendo DS and even a 4 AA battery charger. That's six mains rechargers I no longer need to use, 8 if you include my PDA and main mobile.

I think the leads are worthy of being a product in their own right, they're easily the best I've come across so far and have the most extensive range of tips. You get a good selection with the powermonkey with many more tips available from powertraveller, it's worth thinking about the potential of the leads on their own, don't just think about using them with the powermonkey. If you travel a lot, using these leads with a car cigarette lighter to USB converter (readily available), a mains USB converter (ditto), a USB hub, or a computer, you can recharge just about anywhere you're likely to want to. One of the powermonkey USB leads and a selection of tips is all you'd need, although a few extra of the USB leads will allow simultaneous recharging of several devices from a hub. You can buy the leads separately from powertraveller, on their web page go to the powermonkey classic and select "monkey nuts" and order "extra" tips and at least one USB retractable lead.

Right, back to the powermonkey;

One gripe (other than quality control) is that the powermonkey won't charge a device while the powermonkey itself is being charged, as soon as it detects a charge coming into the charging port it shuts off the output current. This means you can't plug it into your phone/ipod/whatever and then connect it to the charger to charge them both overnight. This is a real shame and something they could easily do; charge the power monkey then once charged, pass all power through to the attached device. It doesn't do that however.

It comes with a useful velcro bag and a zippered semi-rigid box that are worth having, and the whole package seems well put together. Only the inability to recharge while attached to a charger, and of course my issues with getting a working unit, stop it from being a five-star buy. The excellent leads almost make up for the issues I've had.

I also have a freeloader. It's rubbish, total rubbish (see my review for it), so if you are thinking of spending the extra money (3x the price) then this unit is worth the extra provided you get one that works. The freeloader's leads aren't anywhere near as flexible as the powermonkey's leads so don't help to make up for the unit's weaknesses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Martin, 20 Feb 2010
This review is from: Powertraveller Powermonkey Explorer Solar Portable Charger - Grey (Sports)
A great piece of kit.
If you travel a lot and have a selection of gadgets then this is well worth getting. I took this away for 10 days skiing and was able to charge my Nokia phone, ipod and iphone effortlessly. I gave it one full charge before leaving and then recharged with the solar panel during the day to top up my gadgets as required. There is a good selection of adapters and the only thing I haven't figured out how to charge so far is my Sony camera. The travel case is great, everything packs away neatly and takes up little room in your baggage. Now I leave it sit on the window during the day and charge from the sun while I'm out working. Even in Ireland you 25% - 30% charge on a decent day.
The only real negative I have is that you don't seem to be able to re-charge the device and charge a gadget at the same time, but I can live with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheeky little monkey!!!, 6 Oct 2009
R. Hoy - See all my reviews
A fantastic product. Just returned from 3 weeks trekking in India. It powered my Ipod up via the solar panel Fantastic!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with one caveat, 18 Feb 2008
First of all, I'd recommend the PowerMonkey Explorer without hesitation. It's the best charger of its type that I've come across. Not only that, but PowerTraveller's customer support is excellent. I'd recommend reinforcing the little tips with some epoxy before using the powermonkey though; the snap-together construction on some of them is a bit flimsy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish solar charger for UK conditions, 25 July 2009
E. Kuscu - See all my reviews

I paid £65 for this as i did not shop around and bought from the manufacturer's web site.

Overall I'm not happy with this purchase and urge anyone to think again about solar capabilities in UK climate (even in summer).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea if it works, 18 Mar 2009
O. Frayman (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I brought one of these for the same reasons as everyone else, compact, eco friendly, portable, etc. But I was unfortunate to receive a power monkey that didn't work. I contacted technical support, who were great and they sent me a replacement. Power monkey 2 seems to be working fine, fingers crossed I won't have any problems.
If you are thinking of buying one, I would recommend, even if you receive a faulty one the support team are great and will send you a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Gadget I Own!!!, 31 Aug 2007
This little gadget does everything you want. I bought it to go on holiday, but i've actually started using it more frequently than i thought. It charges virtually everything, and is great for emergencies. Best of all, it doesn't need batteries to charge, as it goes on solar power. GREAT PRODUCT!

I purchased on the Monday, and got it on the Tuesday. Electronics247 did a brilliant job on the delivery of this item, highly recommended seller! I will be buying from them again with confidence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Power monkey with accessories, 13 Feb 2011
Very good and quick service. The adaptor for the iphone is a bit dodgy though and the usb connector doesn't fit the average pc socket

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great bit of kit!, 15 Jun 2010
Ian Brearley - See all my reviews
I got my Powermonkey Explorer the Christmas before last and have taken it twice now on gulet holidays in Turkey. Gulet (boats) have mains power available for only a few hours a day and I am able to keep my iPod and iPhone charged up with ease. I tend to leave the device plugged into the mains whenever I can so if power does come on I don't miss it. Solar power works much better in Turkey than in England - I expect there is a simple reason for this!!! The Power Monkey also makes a useful addition to my TomTom 720 for city walking since it adds so much more battery life.

My only regret about owning this device is that I now find myself obsessing about owning a Power Gorilla for my laptop - and then a Solar Gorilla. The little voice keeps telling me to buy them....

4.0 out of 5 stars Power Traveller Explorer, 10 Sep 2009
Excellent piece of equipment, has a useful number of adapters to fit most devices. Very useful for travelling & camping hen access to power is restricted. Good value for money. Only slight niggle the illumination on the battery keeps illuminating if you fold the solar panel up.