Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 June 2009
I thought we might have seen the last of Chris Isaak after his frequent tv work,it`s been seven long years since Always Got Tonight was released and I was wondering if he could still cut it at 52?

The answer is yes..he can still hit the high notes and his voice is as clear as a bell,infact I think he sounds better than ever!

Chris is helped out by his usual band and I see a certain Bruce Watson of Big Country fame is credited on the CD... always a pleasure,he also has a couple of duets,Trisha Yearwood is enlisted to sing `Breaking Apart` not a new song as it appeared on Speak Of The Devil originally and what was already one of my favourite tracks of Chris`s but it`s even better on here,Trisha`s voice is suited very well to Isaak.

The other song sung as a duet is with Michelle Branch another good song but as her voice is softer doesn`t work as well.
Most of the other songs are quality stuff as well,you know what your going to get with a Chris Isaak record,great vocals,tight band and Chris`s song themes of the broken hearted or happy optimisim for the future.
A cracking record possibly his best yet!
Mr. Lucky? Age 52, looks 25, appears in films, brings out a CD when he feels like it, does TV specials and series, rich, moves in sleb circles, Brylcreem approved partner. What makes him think he's lucky? Anyway...
If you're a fan, you won't be disappointed - it's more of the same, to be honest, but it's a pretty good same and, after 7 years, he can't be accused of flooding the market every year with CDs that all sound the identical. As far as I know, one thing is new - the appearance of duetting lay-deez on 2 tracks, and on a backing vocal. I'm still reeling from the shock, and don't really think it fits too well with the music, although it gives it a more sugary country edge if that's what you like. The Elvis / Orbison style vocals are still here, with a tad more 'yodelling' than usual, for any Alpine fans out there. So is the early Shadows type echoey guitar, the usual backing band (not an insult in this context) and some top production that needs your hi-fi cranked up to, er, about 7. Good music for driving or chilling. Listen on Amazon or in more detail on Spotify - I'm surprised the full album appeared on there on release, so you can decide before you buy.
2 comments - track 4 is a catchy (TOO catchy) plink-a-plonk nursery rhyme with some brass instruments (another innovation?) and is a bit iffy, but only last 2 minutes. Track 13 seems to start with the TV programme 'Casualty' riff ! Hope that helps. That's me away... I'll come back and tweak the review when I've listened in more detail. Ten sessions in the car should do it. Cranked up to 32. (It's a different system.)
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2010
I've listened to this stunning album a couple of times on my hi-fi and about 4 times in my car. It features 13 new songs plus a new version of an earlier track, "Breaking Apart", from his album 'Speak of the Devil'. This is a well thought out duet with Trisha Yearwood. I found all the tracks on here were excellent and realised I had missed hearing his voice over the last 7 and a half years.

It starts off with "Cheater's Town" which then gives way to "We Let Her Down". I really like this track as Chris Isaak is telling a story about a girl who hopes that she can find a peaceful life with a nice man after running away from her parents. "We've Got Tomorrow" is a lovely bouncy track that skips along nicely. "Breaking Apart" is the first duet he does with Trisha Yearwood. It works really well and I thought it worked better than the original version which is on his album 'Speak of the Devil'.

"Summer Holiday" and "Best I Ever Had" and "Take My Heart" are my other favourites but as is my want I will choose the entire album as Chris Isaak, in my opinion, finds himself back on form after a long break. I find it was well worth the wait and it's in a similar vain to 'Always Got Tonight' and 'San Francisco Days'. That's the way I feel about it. Well worth listening to and a terrific return to form.
on 30 April 2010
I have to admit that I am a huge Chris Isaak fan. I have ALL of his albums to date and was eagerly awaiting this new one - his first in 7 years. From the first 20 seconds of the first song - I was hooked. Isaak's voice - as usual - is superb and the tunes and lyrics as heart-breakingly convincing as always. Of the 14 songs on offer the strongest ones for me are: Summer Holiday, I Lose My Heart, Cheater's Town and Best I Ever Had. A re-recorded duet of Breaking Apart is a fine effort too and the introduction of female backing singers to some of his songs is a first for Isaak and a welcome addition.

Some songs miss the mark a little bit - Mr. Lonely Man and Very Pretty Girl come to mind - but you cannot offer 100% likeable hits all the time. Nothing overly new here from Isaak - but that is okay. I like him because of what he does and what he has always done - if he changed then maybe i wouldn't like him as much.

Well worth a buy - and this music - for me anyway - is streets ahead of anything else that's out there. Sublime effort - 5 stars.
on 10 September 2009
I think we were the lucky ones when Chris decided to release another CD of his truly unique sound after what nearly a decade!
Standouts are a lovely new version of Breaking Apart with Trisha Yearwood which is good to compare with the old version on Speak of the Devil and my personal favourite - the haunting We Let Her Down.
The usual mix then of uptempo cheery songs and yearning balladry delivered by that amazing voice and backed by good musicians and an excellent production.
Dont leave it so long next time Chris!
on 29 October 2013
Picked up Mr. Lucky about month ago. It gets better with more play. This album reminds me of the old Chris. Songs like, "We let her down", "You don't cry like I do", and "Baby Baby" are on my mind, in the best way possible. He has to be the most under appreciated singer/songwriter in the music world. He wrote "Western Stars" years ago. I thought it was a country-western classic. One or two tracks are a little rough for my taste, but overall, Mr. Lucky is a return to form for Mr. Isaak. Highest recommendation!
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2012
Most people will know of Chris Isaak for his older music, but his new music is just as good and innovative. Some really great tracks like 'Why let her down', 'Baby Baby' and so on. We also see the introduction of duets with other artists, such as Tricia Yearwood and Michelle Branch. If you like Chris Isaak's older and better known music, then you will like this album.
on 18 November 2009
If you love Chris Isaak you will love this. It can't be compared to his other albums because it's quite different, but worth waiting the 7 years for.
on 14 February 2010
Not very different but more which is OK by me. I have them all, play them all and love them all. When's the next?
on 21 February 2010
mr Isaaks on fine form on this sadly un-publicised cd.Totally recommend it to old fans and new alike.