on 29 April 2009
I felt compelled to write a review for this book after the unduly poor review because the code examples were in C# not VB. This is a good book and should be recognised as such.

This book covers VSTO 2007 quite comprehensively and has the same pros and cons as the previous editions. This book is very big, this seems to come about because each example is worked through with a lot of hand holding. Every thing you need to click on is described with screenshots for every dialog. This makes it easy to work through when you are completely new, but adds a lot of bulk and doesn't 'cut to the chase' for more experienced users.

The authors are Microsoft employees close to the VSTO team. This has the advantage that they do a very good job of describing the features of VSTO. It is very authoritative. It has the disadvantage that they don't describe what it can't do. You find yourself reading between the lines trying to identify what they don't say. For example when they explain 'Managed Automation Add-ins' they describe how to deploy using a standard installer, but they don't mention ClickOnce. Does this mean that 'Managed Automation Add-ins' can't be deployed by ClickOnce? I think it does.

In terms of the examples being in C# not VB. To my mind it doesn't matter. They are virtually the same language with mild syntactic differences. You can still see what is going on, you just can't do a dumb copy and paste of the examples.
on 9 October 2009
I am finding this an excellent (5*) book in helping me move from Excel VBA to C#/VSTO, but for me at least it is completely let down by the lack of a CD to cut/paste the numerous code samples. You have 45 days of free access of the book online via Safari (which has a hopeless search engine, is unfriendly and full of self-important adverts + info can only be cut and pasted one page at a time) after which you're on your own unless you want to pay monthly to see the book you already own.
on 13 January 2011
The title is a little unfair ... but only a little.
This book spends an awful lot of time saying "you can do this, and you can do this, and you can do this" but very little time actually showing the user how they might go about doing that. It also has no major project to follow. I would really have appreciated a project or two that could be built up as I read through each chapter, and would explain ideas as it developed.
My background is VBA. I've got a basic understanding of C# (worked through most of the Headfirst book, which is great) but this book seems to assume a very _strong_ understanding of C#, which is not what it says in the introduction.
It seems to be a bit like a reference book - fine if you have already done some VBA and are very familiar with C# and just want to join the two together, but if you want a book that will guide you through a couple of examples and build things up slowly for you, this isn't really what you're looking for.
Unfortunately, right now, I don't know what to suggest.
on 29 April 2010
this book is perfect for those of you who know a bit about C# or VB.NET and want to get most out of Office. It has a plenty of good examples of how to program for Office and the explanations are very thorough.

The only disadvantage of this book is that it is very shallow when it comes to each of the applications, but for that you can always use Google...
on 19 April 2009
I was looking forward to this book being released for quite a while so I could get on with improving my VSTO programming. It arrived and I sat down to read it - but guess what - I couldn't! ALL the examples are in C#!! Why on earth wasn't this mentioned in the title, or even in the accompanying blurb? I write in Visual Basic and having come from a VBA background found this book so impossible to use, I sent it back to Amazon. Very disappointed - come on guys, the programming world isn't all about C#. At least mention it in the title. And how about a VB version for the rest of us?