5.0 out of 5 stars Superb 3 season boots
Published on 15 Sep 2009 by Jack Aubrey

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But!
Published on 29 Oct 2009 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, But!, 29 Oct 2009
These boots were expensive, but extremely comfortable, probably the most comfortable boots ever. They were fully waterproof, and easy to keep clean. However, after about 60 days and 20 walks over soft ground, including no hill work nor significant road work, the stitching/fabric started to fray on BOTH sides of BOTH boots. AMAZON moved with lightening, almost breathtaking, speed to replace them. I really hope that the replacements will not have the same fault.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb 3 season boots, 15 Sep 2009
The explorer trek retails widely at about £90 so I saved about £20 when I purchased from Amazon. I have used an earlier version of the boot for five years and although designed for three seasons wear I sometimes used it during the winter when the terrain was not too rough and stoney. The boot is made of gore-tex and suede. It's a pain to keep clean but brilliantly efficient. In Fenruary this year I slipped into a a fast flowing stream which reached to my knees. My gaiters prevented any water getting in through the boots cuffs but the boot itself did not admit any water at all. Amazing. Others will have commented that the boot is wonderfully comfortable from the 'off'. It is but...I found the footbed of both the old and new version to give me insufficient support for a whole day on demanding ground and relaced it with the expensive but brilliant Superfeet ones. The one big drawback of the old boot was that the sole was not very 'sticky': downhill slopes on rocky paths needed a lot of care. The new boot has a differently cleated sole and so far seems to cling to sloping rocks very effectively. The boot is a good compromise between support and weight. The cuff is moderately high but very well padded and so the ankle feels very well supported but with sufficient flex to be comfortable. The boot feels light and in a few minutes you simply forget that you have them on. I have used (the old version) in very hot conditions but my feet could breath. I haven't been able to check how the new version operates in temperatures of 30+ degrees but since the construction of the uppers are the same they should do well. The fitting is a little on the wide side - which suits me just fine, I find most boots and shoes a bit too narrow for the length I need. If your foot is slim then a pair of lining socks will solve the problem. In short these are superb 3 seasons boots.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 11 Mar 2011
These boots have been great, I initially bought a pair of them (Womens version) for my partner, for some hiking in the Tatras mountains and they were superbly comfortable and stable for her, no hot-spots, pain, or shin-bang. I decided to opt for my pair and have been similarly impressed, comfortable out of the box, water-proof yet fairly breathable and light. In fact, I actually prefer them to my old Meindl boots, although they were well made, I did experience pain along the edge of my foot after prolonged walks; no such trouble with these boots though. Highly recommended. I'm sure they'll be comfortable for another summer tour of the Tatras.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slippery soles, 29 Jan 2011
I bought these for walking the dog and general usage, as they seemed to offer the best spec for the money.
Good points;- very comfortable, waterproof (up to a point), good sizeing (buy what you normally wear), the adjustable lace system works really well.
Bad points;- very hard to keep clean, makes my feet sweat to much, and take a long time to dry out inside. The worst part is the sole, it wears rather to quickly, and is VERY SLIPPERY over/in anything wet, and in my opinion dangerous (i have had a few moments), unless you just walk on grass or the pavement they will be ok
I have gone back to proper military boots- (Lowa) full leather, vibram sole, non-goretex (or similar) lining, more support, enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fit from the off, 18 Dec 2010
muddy9mtb "J" (South Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As marketed, comfy from the box and hopefully will last longer than the northface they replace..the lace hooks are a bit tight and make for slow doing up..not good in cold conditions. These will get some battering from walking the dog in morning dew.. My partners has had hers for some years now though
- updated 16/6/11 - had some use out of them now and still very comfortable just like wearing a trainer, morning dew just brushes off and does not soak in like my previous pair. Very happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Berghaus Explorer, 2 Dec 2009
I. Coyle (scotland) - See all my reviews
Have worn Berghaus boots for the last 10 years and the quality is still first class. I virtually wear them, for my job, all year round They are comfortable as soon as you put them on. Keep your feet warm and dry in the worst of conditions

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 11 Oct 2011
I love walking and hiking but have always been something of a tenderfoot which has meant that after a long walk or during a walking holiday, I have had to conduct running repairs to my feet. Blister plasters, tape, cotton wool etc.

Not with these boots. Comfortable out of the box, a sole and footbed I have found to be excellent with great traction, decent ankle support and fully waterproof. I have now completed two long distance walks in these boots without a single blister.

That's why I love them.

Not sure they would be suitable for walking with a very heavy pack or lots of winter walking but I don't do either and I can't fault them - particularly given the price on Amazon. In fact, I've bought another pair for the future as I usually find that when I get something I like, when I go back for it, it's gone out of production!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain Berghaus Boots, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Explorer Trek Hiking Boot (Shoes)
I needed a light pair of walking boots for summer, but ones which at the same time would offer enough support to cope with rugged fell walking. These certainly fit that bill and at £[] are great value. They are very comfortable and seem very well made, my only point to note is that they are a very generous fit, I take a 10s in shoes and a 10.5 in boots, thankfully I noticed that what is a euro 45 size was listed as a UK 10s on the Amazon site when in fact the correct equivalent is of a 10.5, something to be wary of if you re looking for a boot size of 10s. But apart from that excellent boots for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Upper, Deadly Lower, 21 July 2012
The upper half of the boot i can not fault, i took these boots on my gold DofE up in the lake district so 4 days 3 nights, and these boots stayed waterproof in bogs (until the water went over the gaiters and into the boots :P ), were fantastic going up and down grassy or scree slopes, shallow and steep, and were very comfortable to wear and had the quickest inside drying time out of the other team members boots which included the likes of Soloman and Karrimor.

However the 3rd day struck which was an ascent and descent of Helvellyn. The first hours were fine i was up the front of the team, the boots were gripping and i was jolly eating my jelly cubes.It was in the final 200 m ascent that i struggled, suddenly i found myself with a 50kg pack on my back, scrambling on hands and knees, as we climb up wet large flat rocks, almost like giant steps.

I had NO confidence in them at all, i felt idiotic as i finished the climb a good 10 min after everyone else got to the top and after experiencing numerous heart stopping moments as i lost balance due to my feet sliding all over the place.Going back down the other side was no better.

To sum this up, the boot is good at trail walking and road walking, NOTHING ELSE, they are not suitable for all terrains.
I hope you dont make the same mistake i did, they are a good pair of boots just in the right eneviroment.

Good Luck :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Good boot at last, 22 July 2014
Have been through a few boots these last 12 months or so. Had a pair of Berghaus Lites which were really comfortable right out of the box. Unfortunately I didn't treat them as well as I should and they split and leaked (took over 6 months though and I was wearing them every day in ALL conditions). Got a cheaper pair of Peter Storms. They were awful - uncomfortable, took a week to break them in, and leaked within a couple of weeks even though I cleaned them properly and used the recommended fluids on them. I was always aware of having them on. Then, got this pair. What a difference! Comfortable right out of the box. Well made, don't even know I have them on they're so light. Highly recommended. Have had them over a month now, not been much wet weather but going through long wet grass they kept my feet dry. We'll see how they fare when the weather finally turns but, I have confidence. I'm going to treat them better this time too!