5.0 out of 5 stars WOW
Eva Cassidy's story is one that has touched many people and so has her music. This album (like most of her others) was released after her death. It is an amazing collection of tracks that shows just how diverse a singer she was....
Published on 19 Mar. 2006 by RD

3.0 out of 5 stars Eva by Half
This is pretty sublime, Eva has soul and lots of it and it shines like the sun but only on the slower tracks such as Songbird, Autumn Leaves, Over the Rainbow and Field of Gold but for my money these tracks are as good as it gets
Published 10 months ago by Richard Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 19 Mar. 2006
RD - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Some songs are jazzy, others are soft and soothing so you just never know whats coming next. What you do know is that each one is sung by an amazing voice. So amazing that it isnt hidden away behind back up singers or loud drums, in fact with Eva Cassidy the tune fades to the background and her voice and the emotion behind every lyric is what captures you. Thats rare these days. Most of the time you dont even know what the song blaring from your radio is about...
Listen to Eva Cassidy and you'll find a new appreciation for good music and a great voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure gold; a voice that stopped me in my tracks., 3 April 2002
Of all the places to have a trancscendental experience, Terminal 2 at London's Heathrow airport would not come to mind. But that's where I first heard Eva Cassidy's 'Fields of Gold' for the first time playing in a music store, and bought it at once. That track, and 'Over the Rainbow' have the power to bring tears to the eyes of a cynical, middle-aged Englishman and believe me that takes some doing. Her note-perfect purity,, sensitivity and interpretation, added to the tragedy of her own story, make an overwhelmingly powerful musical experience. If there are angels, I imagine that they would sound like Eva Cassidy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL MUSICAL EXPERIENCE, 16 Feb. 2001
By A Customer
I discovered Eva like many others via the TOTP2 'OVER THE RAINDOW'recording. I felt I really needed to do myself a favour and find out more about this beautiful voice. I bought Songbird for Valentines day and shared the experience with the woman I love. She listened,cried-in particular to the songbird track-and stated afterwards that it was the most moving voice she had ever heard. Eva Cassidy is by far the best female singing artist we have ever heard.It seems such a damn shame she left this world so soon. But she has left us all the immortality that is her voice and in the way it can touch peoples lives. Buy this album and don't cheat yourselves from experiencing something so beautiful,in what often seems to be such an ugly world. Autumn Leaves, Fields of Gold,Songbird and I know you by Heart are the highlights of this excellent Album,and the other remaining tracks complement it perfectly. My orders for the remaining albums of Eva Cassidy are on their way. Thanks Eva for making the world a better place!.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most emotional experiences of my life, 5 April 2001
By A Customer
I came across "Songbird" & Eva Cassidy 10 days ago. Since that time the CD must have been played 25 times and I have read the notes over and over. I was not fortunate to have seen TOTP2 nor listened to Terry Wogan but a very good friend of mine did and she introduced me to the CD. How can one begin to eulogise the incredible talents of this lovely lady, so sadly taken from this world. Her voice is like nothing else that I have ever heard. I always liked "Fields of Gold" whenever Sting sang it Eva's rendition is superb and "Sondbird" is truely wonderfull. Saving the best 'till last, "Over the Rainbow" sung in that style and in that manner, must be the most moving emotional experience of my life.Tears flowed and still and forever will. Who knows what Eva could have achieved if she had been allowed to live. I have today listened to "Time After Time" I urge everyone to share this experience with me also. She is truly up there with the Angels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Stunning, 2 April 2002
I first heard of Eva Cassidy when a friend brought "Songbird" into work for us to play over the sound system. I work in a busy little book shop and we like to play non invasive, easy listening music in order to create a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. As soon as we played Eva, We were all captivated and had at least 20 people in the first day ask what the wonderful muic was and where they could get it. We also started to stock the Autio biography of Eva written with the co operation of her parents also entitled "Songbird". Reading the book brings even more life to th music as you really feel you knew her and it makes her sad ending even more tragic. Her music is her legacy and a I truly feel she has given something wonderful to the world. I now own 4 of Eva's CD's but I feel this particular CD gives the best all round picture of her awesome talent. I can only imagine how many more people she would have touched had she lived beyond her 33 years. Buy this CD, you will love it, It feels like an old friend after only 2 or 3 plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every star has Eva's lining..., 12 Aug. 2005
WOW!! The album 'Songbird' will change the way you hear any voice again, because what this angel brings is magic. For anybody who has it, go put it on now and listen to no:9 , 'Oh, had I a golden thread'.... that part where she builds up and every cell in your body is in anthisapation and then she delivers...so clear, so in-it!! Thats what real music is about. Amazing. For those who have not yet encountered this *gift*, delay no longer...(enjoy!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Eva, we hardly knew you, 6 Jan. 2003
Mr. Joe (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I haven't been so enthralled with a female vocalist since I was first introduced to the songs of Loreena McKennitt several years ago. I'm confounded by the fact that Eva Cassidy's musical legacy is so limited because of her death of cancer at age 33 in 1996. But, at least I have the CD SONGBIRD to enjoy, as well as Eva's handful of others which I'll likely purchase.
SONGBIRD is positively delightful. Even when Cassidy's choice of songs veers into the realm of jazz, which I don't particularly care for, her talent is so remarkable that I set aside my bias for a few minutes. The track that originally caused me to buy this CD is "Over the Rainbow", a well-established traditional piece like "Autumn Leaves" and "People Get Ready" that are also present, all three of which are given new life by Eva's non-traditional interpretations. The title song and "Fields of Gold" are two others which I can, and will, listen to repeatedly. Heard with the knowledge of the singer's premature death, the lyrics of Cassidy's recordings make tears a possibility. You wonder. Did she suspect?
Eva could apparently sing anything: folk, blues, jazz, gospel, country, pop, and Celtic. And whatever genre it was, she could, and does, put her heart and feelings into it. I think I shall miss her music so very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving musical experience, 9 Mar. 2001
Having just purchased two Eva Cassidy albums "Songbird" and "Time after Time" I just had to write to express my total overwhelming experience of listening to Eva sing and play the Guitar. I first heard 'Somewhere over the rainbow' on the radio recently and Eva's singing stopped me in my tracks as I walked past the radio.
I am a musician (keyboards and churchorganist) of some years now and just occasionally I hear some music, singing or playing, which totally astounds and amazes me, and this is just one such occasion.
The version of 'Somewhere over the rainbow' and 'Fields of Gold' will be songs that will stay for the rest of my life. I am moved to tears each time I listen to this disc and having played the first song over the CHurch system to the choir and seen the similar reaction, we can appreciate why it is said that this woman had some deep emotional and spiritual involvement in her songs.
Oh such a pity that she had to die from cancer at 33yrs old and that it is only after her death that there should be such a sudden and massive response to hearing her music played on the radio and TV. Only last week she was featured even on the noon news with video recordings of Somewhere over the Rainbow.
Clive Cross.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only album I own that gives me goosebumps!, 2 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This has to be one of the most, if not the most, beautiful albums I have ever heard. From the first song, you are completley taken in by her incredible voice. The obvious favourites like Fields of Gold and Songbird are still timeless and definite tearjerkers but there are others like Wade In The Water and Wayfaring Stranger that are a bit more upbeat and have a blues feel to them.
If I could give this album 100 stars I would, I can't recommend it enough, PLEASE buy this album, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Songbird simply moved me in a way no CD has ever done before, 27 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
I'd heard 'Rainbow' on wake up to Wogan programme and by chance has seen the video on the BBC's ToP2, but it wasn't until I picked a copy in the local supermarket and listened to it earlier this week that it hit me that I've never listened to such pure musical perfection in my life. The versatility of her voice on both Fields of Gold and Over the Rainbow is superb, but for me ,it the ability of Eva's raised voice, in those tracks, to fire directly through to my emotions that really make this one of the most important CD's I have ever listened to.

Songbird