5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money and very comfortable
I haven't owned a pair of walking boots for years, so when I needed a pair I spent ages looking for a good product at a fair price. I saw these Berghaus boots on Black's and Millett's sites, but Amazon was selling at the best price (including when using voucher codes for both the other sites).
There have not been many reviews for these boots, so it was a bit of a...
Published on 20 Jan 2011 by TomE

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot but duff batch - not waterproof/resistant
Published on 19 Sep 2010 by Listener

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money and very comfortable, 20 Jan 2011
There have not been many reviews for these boots, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I am very happy I bought these. I bought my normal shoe size and wear thicker socks, and they are still comfortable, so I wouldn't go up a size unless you plan to wear two pairs of socks, or are on the upper side of a shoe size.
I have used these boots in all types of wet weather (they were superb in the recent snow) and have been very impressed. They do seem lighter than a few cheaper versions I tried. They do not fold anywhere when walking, so feel very natural. I have even run in these (chasing my naughty dog!) and I didn't feel restricted though I wouldn't recommend doing that often!
My walks are daily and range from 1.5 miles to 6 miles and I have yet to have blister, seen any wear or tear, or been disappointed by these in any way.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good boot, 3 Feb 2012
Martin Haley (South Wales) - See all my reviews
Bought these recently as my Merrell Chameleon Mid Waterproof gave up the ghost. They were a week short of 1 year so returned them for a refund as the sole began to come apart.

These Berghaus boots are not as comfortable as the Merrells in terms of cushioning but very good all the same. Wore them for an hour first day, then 2 hours plus for the next 2 days and no issues/blisters at all. They are less 'fancy' than the Merrells but maybe that was a problem. I think these will last better. Have worn them in showers and puddles but not a good down pour yet but as they are Goretex, think they will be good.

Sizing wise, go for actual size. The Merrel boots you need to go for a size bigger at least so I was wary when other reviews said go for actual size so I went for a half size bigger. They are fine but could have got away with actual size but will probably put a cushion insert in them.

For the price, a very nice boot and time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walking boots, 17 Jun 2010
This is my second pair of Berghaus walking boots, the first light pair though. Took a chance on my actual size with this pair and they were comfortable immediately, especially when worn with Bridgedale Endurance Trail socks, which are excellent too. Particularly like the lacing, and the general fit around the foot, the light weight so not too warm, and the soles, which are firm but not hard, with good shock absorbancy. Beautifully made too. I'm sticking with what I know, and you can always return them if not satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Liked Them So Much I Bought ... Another Pair, 21 Jan 2014
despicable (Arlesey, Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Berghaus Men's Explorer Trail Light Hiking Boot (Apparel)
I bought my first pair over 3-years' ago and had to replace them as their waterproofing was compromised, plus their soles were quite worn down. I found them easy to put on and take off and very comfortable. I've scrabbled over all sorts of terrain without any problems, but remembering that these are light-weight walking boots. The support given to my feet and ankles was good.
I replaced these boots with another (well known) manufacturer's boots; these are now sitting in my garage hardly used as they were too stiff and suffered a broken lace after wearing them only about 6 times. These have now been replaced by another pair of Berghaus Explorer Trails: right from the start very comfortable just like my original pair; it's like trekking with your slippers on.
I do recommend these boots, however, do remember their limitations when out and about and don't attempt the north face of the Eiger.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable from the box, 7 Dec 2009
Mr. Daw (plymouth) - See all my reviews
Great pair of walking boots,very light in fact i thought that the box was empty when i recieved them,I've worn them several times on Dartmoor over the past couple of months very comfortable and water tight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great pair of boots, 18 Feb 2012
I bought these boots after reading that they're great value for money - they are !

After a six day trek in the Dolomites, and numerous treks around the coastline in Malta, I've found them comfortable, strong and hard wearing.

The size is slightly on the big side,and the internal sole isn't quite as shaped as it could be, but these boots are still comfortable.

The only drawback is the fact that they only stayed waterproof for a week, notwithstanding all the hype about them being Gortex. I'll have to waterproof them externally and see whether this guarantees that my feet will stay dry.

This review is accurate in all respects about the Berghaus boots:

[...]

Berghaus Men's Explorer Trail Light Hiking Boot

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable boots I've ever owned, 2 Jan 2011
Very comfortable, good grip, excellent water resistance (I did apply Nikwax waterproofing stuff before I first used them). In fact these are by far the most comfortable walking boots I've ever owned.

4.0 out of 5 stars comfy boots, 14 Oct 2011
V.good purchase, these boots are very comfortable, they are waterproof! and ata avery good price. The only thing is that after a very long day wearing them there are slight damp patches on you socks ,which is unlike the heavier versions where I have never found this to be an issue.All in all an excellent product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable, 14 Oct 2010
I have been doing more and more walking recently so decided to get a pair of proper walking boots. Buying the Berghaus boots was a bit of a gamble as it's not a bit of kit that has purchased before. I could not beleive how light, rigid and comfortable they were. I would recommend the Berghaus Explorers to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot but duff batch - not waterproof/resistant, 19 Sep 2010
These are fantastically comfortable and light boots - a dream for walkers (casual or serious) who don't want to have to acquire blisters during the process of wearing them in or to feel as if they are carrying around weights on their feet as they walk - but they've clearly been left in a warehouse for too long or are suffering from a batch problem (this is the replacement pair I'm commenting on and they suffer from the same problem) as they are not waterproof. Properly proofed boots should 'bead' (water should initially run off them and approximate in appearance to droplets on a freshly waxed car), but it soaks right into these and leaves socks damp after no more than a 40 minute walk through wet fields. I've spoken to the manufacturers and my exceptionally helpful local Millets and the all agree there is something seriously wrong with these. Amazon as per usual have been exceptionally helpful. They replaced the first pair immediately on request and have initiated the process of a refund on these, and are investigating the batch to see if there is a more general problem. I shall be buying another pair, but from my local millets