5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walking boots
Published on 17 Jun 2010 by Dave A

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot but duff batch - not waterproof/resistant
Published on 19 Sep 2010 by Listener

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent walking boots, 17 Jun 2010
This is my second pair of Berghaus walking boots, the first light pair though. Took a chance on my actual size with this pair and they were comfortable immediately, especially when worn with Bridgedale Endurance Trail socks, which are excellent too. Particularly like the lacing, and the general fit around the foot, the light weight so not too warm, and the soles, which are firm but not hard, with good shock absorbancy. Beautifully made too. I'm sticking with what I know, and you can always return them if not satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money and very comfortable, 20 Jan 2011
I haven't owned a pair of walking boots for years, so when I needed a pair I spent ages looking for a good product at a fair price. I saw these Berghaus boots on Black's and Millett's sites, but Amazon was selling at the best price (including when using voucher codes for both the other sites).
There have not been many reviews for these boots, so it was a bit of a gamble, but I am very happy I bought these. I bought my normal shoe size and wear thicker socks, and they are still comfortable, so I wouldn't go up a size unless you plan to wear two pairs of socks, or are on the upper side of a shoe size.
I have used these boots in all types of wet weather (they were superb in the recent snow) and have been very impressed. They do seem lighter than a few cheaper versions I tried. They do not fold anywhere when walking, so feel very natural. I have even run in these (chasing my naughty dog!) and I didn't feel restricted though I wouldn't recommend doing that often!
My walks are daily and range from 1.5 miles to 6 miles and I have yet to have blister, seen any wear or tear, or been disappointed by these in any way.
Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good boot, 3 Feb 2012
Martin Haley (South Wales) - See all my reviews
Bought these recently as my Merrell Chameleon Mid Waterproof gave up the ghost. They were a week short of 1 year so returned them for a refund as the sole began to come apart.

These Berghaus boots are not as comfortable as the Merrells in terms of cushioning but very good all the same. Wore them for an hour first day, then 2 hours plus for the next 2 days and no issues/blisters at all. They are less 'fancy' than the Merrells but maybe that was a problem. I think these will last better. Have worn them in showers and puddles but not a good down pour yet but as they are Goretex, think they will be good.

Sizing wise, go for actual size. The Merrel boots you need to go for a size bigger at least so I was wary when other reviews said go for actual size so I went for a half size bigger. They are fine but could have got away with actual size but will probably put a cushion insert in them.

For the price, a very nice boot and time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable from the box, 7 Dec 2009
Mr. Daw (plymouth) - See all my reviews
Great pair of walking boots,very light in fact i thought that the box was empty when i recieved them,I've worn them several times on Dartmoor over the past couple of months very comfortable and water tight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boots - comfy and waterproof, 22 April 2011
Great pair of boots - comfy straight out of the box - perfect size 9. Waterproof, good grips. I wore them for the first time on a 13 mile hill walk over wet hilly terrain and they were brilliant. No blisters, dry feet and no pain the following day. Super.

5.0 out of 5 stars boots, 4 Oct 2010
Well "these boots are made for walking" light weight,good bit of kit, although slippery on wet stone or slate.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great boot but duff batch - not waterproof/resistant, 19 Sep 2010
These are fantastically comfortable and light boots - a dream for walkers (casual or serious) who don't want to have to acquire blisters during the process of wearing them in or to feel as if they are carrying around weights on their feet as they walk - but they've clearly been left in a warehouse for too long or are suffering from a batch problem (this is the replacement pair I'm commenting on and they suffer from the same problem) as they are not waterproof. Properly proofed boots should 'bead' (water should initially run off them and approximate in appearance to droplets on a freshly waxed car), but it soaks right into these and leaves socks damp after no more than a 40 minute walk through wet fields. I've spoken to the manufacturers and my exceptionally helpful local Millets and the all agree there is something seriously wrong with these. Amazon as per usual have been exceptionally helpful. They replaced the first pair immediately on request and have initiated the process of a refund on these, and are investigating the batch to see if there is a more general problem. I shall be buying another pair, but from my local millets

5.0 out of 5 stars ronseal, 11 Feb 2011
fatsovonchubby (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Got a pair of berghaus boots in 2003 and although now a bit tatty, I still use them in the garden as they are completely waterproof 7 well-used years later. These new ones are just as comfortable and easy to break in but are a wee bit lighter too. I'm a size 9 and the 9s fit me perfectly. Easy enough to tighten round normal socks if required but enough room in the laces to accommodate thick socks for the odd trek into the argyll hills. Or just link park, Glasgow! Look smart, feel good, goretex as well. Very happy feet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable boots I've ever owned, 2 Jan 2011
Very comfortable, good grip, excellent water resistance (I did apply Nikwax waterproofing stuff before I first used them). In fact these are by far the most comfortable walking boots I've ever owned.

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable, 14 Oct 2010
I have been doing more and more walking recently so decided to get a pair of proper walking boots. Buying the Berghaus boots was a bit of a gamble as it's not a bit of kit that has purchased before. I could not beleive how light, rigid and comfortable they were. I would recommend the Berghaus Explorers to anyone.

ARRAY(0xa47d54b0)