5.0 out of 5 stars Booker T
A long awaited offering from the soul master of the Hammond organ. Saw Booker T play a couple of tracks on Later...with Jools Holland and ordered this immediately after the show. Not disappointed and I do not think anyone who likes his original material from years ago would be either.
Published on 10 Mar. 2010 by J. Kiely

3.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young & grungey guitars accompany B3 master.
Published on 29 May 2009 by blodwynswayze

5.0 out of 5 stars Booker T, 10 Mar. 2010
J. Kiely (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Neil Young & grungey guitars accompany B3 master., 29 May 2009
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
The first thing you hear on this album is a typically clipped little keyboard riff before an almighty great powerchord slams in behind it. So far, so 'Green Onions' this ain't. I supposed I should have realised given Book T's accompaniment on this album is Neil Young and the Drive By Truckers a rather good southern rock band fond of rock mythology and tripple guitar assaults in a Lynard Skynard style. My feeling was that the distortion would be kept down and a more soul feel would be adopted but in fact the DBTs accompany many tracks with their usual hard rock approach. It's not bad just not expected. Then there's the sheer simplicity of each tune, usually consisting of just one or two sections which Booker furnishes with his very, though maybe deceptively simple keyboard lines. The cover of Outkast's Hey Ya I love and my girlfriend loathes and gave her the impression the whole album consisted of, to her mind, cheesy keyboard versions of pop songs. So the jury's out for me for now but if you want some straight ahead fairly rocky instrumentals with some funky Hammond from one of the masters go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 28 Jun. 2009
P MARTIN (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
Like all baby boomers, I know and love Green Onions. I also saw Booker T back Neil Young (my favourite musician of all time) back in the 90s in Finsbury Park in London, when he was a perfect suppport.

However that was then and this is now, so I only really bought this CD because it features Young on guitar and got decent reviews.

Within seconds of pushing the CD into my car's player (it was a sunny day and the top was down, so the omens were favourable) I was hooked.

Put briefly this is the coolest recording made this year. I suspect only Booker T can make a Hammond organ sound cool, sexy, funky and just the happeningest sound ever.

And the contribution from Neil Young lives up to the standard of Booker T and the rest of the musicians, which is really saying something.

I've told all my friends to buy this CD. I suggest you do too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy Booker T Review, 16 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
A fantastic album by Booker T Jones , Guitars are raw and the Hammond sends chills up your spine - a wonderful album full of traditional rock musicianship.

4.0 out of 5 stars No onions but great for the barbecue, 7 May 2011
Gizmophobic - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
Despite the presence of Neil Young and the Drive by Truckers this is very much a Booker T. album. All the tracks are instrumental and organ led. The leader thanks Neil for his enthusiastic and brilliant playing but really if I hadn't read the sleeve notes I wouldn't have guessed he was on it. More to the point he also thanks the Drive by truckers for "letting him drive". This is very much the case and while the grungy playing of all is very tasty I was gasping for a vocal to break it up with.
I saw Booker T. do most of this live a couple of years ago with a great scratch band at the Cambridge folk festival, the album is not as powerful but has a great summer vibe to it. The only tune familiar to me was Cooley's Space City from the DBTs "Blessing and a curse" cd. This is the closer here and very mellow it is if a little out of place.
All in all the DBTs are less prominent than on the excellent Betty Lavette album, Scene of the crime, which they co produce,but this is still very worthwhile in its own right. Just don't expect Neil or the DBts to the fore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Booker T & Neil Young, 13 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
Great to have a new recording from Booker T, and some great gutar work from Neil. A great combination which brings back many good memories. If your are or were a Green Onions fan then this is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Wonderful, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
I heard a copy of this via Spotify and immediately ordered it from Amazon. It is joyous, immediate and meaty, no doubt Neil Youngs' cranked-up grungy guitar and Drive-By-Truckers adding to this. It's so much better than Road from Memphis, the follow up (still good but sounds stilted and anodyne by comparison). As strong as anything he has ever recorded in my humble opinion. I defy anyone to listen to this without a smile or with two motionless feet

3.0 out of 5 stars Hot potato, 22 Jun. 2009
Mark Sammut (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Potato Hole (Audio CD)
If you like the old Booker T then you will enjoy this. The tunes ar not as catchy as the hits from the sixties, but they grow on you. If only Steve Cropper was there!

Potato Hole
Potato Hole by Booker T. & The MG's (Audio CD - 2009)