5.0 out of 5 stars O Karen
The Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs debut album was an exciting, raw slab of New York punk rock. They struggled to replicate that on their second album, Show Your Bones. It looked like a classic case of an exciting debut followed by a steady decline. To their credit the YYYs have gone back to the drawing board and come up with an album that is a genuine progression, yet still...
Published on 22 May 2009 by Fermar

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Not a big Yeah Yeah Yeahs follower but bought this after seeing them on Jools Holland. This album reminds me a lot of Moloko, with the strong female vocals and poppy but kooky feel. Enjoyed the first 5 tracks but then it seems to tail of a bit.
Published on 6 Sept. 2009 by JB

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Blitz: It's a Hit (and well worth the wait!), 31 Mar. 2009
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
Like most people buying this cd, I have played "Fever to Tell" and "Show Your Bones" - both of which are brilliant - to death and was eagerly anticipating the new release from YYYs.

So, was it worth the wait worth?

Yes, and undoubtedly so!

"It's Blitz" is a complete change from YYYs previous outings. The album is a much more mellow and consistent affair. Gone are the raucous vocals. Instead, the listener is treated to a range of songs exploiting Karen O's more 'mature' and 'gentle' turn of voice: from discoesque numbers like Zero, Dull Life and Heads Will Roll to slower ballads like Soft Shock, Hysteric, Little Shadow and Skeletons.

For me, Soft Shock and Hysteric have to be the stand out tracks on the album. They both radiate pure and genuine heart-felt emotion. And that is the general feel of the album. I imagine some fans will not be too pleased with the total departure from YYYs "Date With the Night" Guitar-heavy style, but I give this album a big thumbs up! It will be interesting to see where YYYs go from here...

However, if I was to have a criticism, it would be that the three tracks in the middle of the album (Shame and Fortune, Runaway and Dragon Queen) are a little forgettable - though by no means bad.

If you get the chance to purchase a download copy of the album (which is what I did, but not from Amazon, hence the early review!) it is well worth it. There is the option of getting some bonus tracks - acoustic versions of Soft Shock, Skeletons, Hysteric, Little Shadow and also a track called Faces.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Blitz, 23 Jan. 2013
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
Rarely do you pick up an album and then find that more than 2/3 tracks become your favourites. There are a good half dozen absolute belters on this one! From the danceable 'Heads will roll' to the totally laid-back and frosty 'Skeletons'. You can play this album all the way through and there will be some offering that will appeal to somebody. Even if you don't think it's your style or taste, give it a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Good., 7 April 2009
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
This is a good album but it's not as good as the previous two albums and its a long way short of Show Your Bones in my opinion. The sound is very different, much less guitar and hard rock and much more of a disco, funk, synth sound with occasional far-eastern twangs.

Zero, although very much synth-rock, is not dissimilar to previous YYYs with its loud and vibrant tones and its probably the second best song on the album after Softshock. Softshock is another synth-rock tune but its one of those songs that builds slowly in an understated way and by the time it unleashes fully it becomes a truly brilliant, rousing song. Other songs I like are Runaway and Hysteric, two melodic meaningful-sounding songs. Dull life is not a song I liked initially but I've grown to like it, especially lyrically, its starts off quiet and then takes off in typical YYYs style. Skeletons and Little Shadow are ok, they are slow chilled out songs, not really my cup of tea. Shame and Misfortune is a rather raucous affair and lacks good riffs. Heads Will Roll, I cannot like nor listen to, its a dance song with monotonous synth-dancecrap sounds that I've always associated with rave/dance music, which I hate. I think Heads Will Roll is about the most un-YYYs song on the album, to me its not a YYYs' sound at all, maybe they hope it'll be a big dance hit and make them loads a money.

Overall a good album but lacking enough really good songs to be as good as previous albums. I sincerely hope that genuine YYYs fans recognise Heads Will Roll for the mediocre dance tune that it is, there are many much better songs on this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Punk meets electro beat, 15 Aug. 2013
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
I like the yeah yeah yeahs and whilst this is still un mistakenly them (with Karren O's orgasmic voice) they have changed a lot from the pure punk of their first album. Not too many single quality songs but a thoroughly enjoyable album I'll keep returning to.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 6 Sept. 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
What an album, more accessible than 'fever to tell' and 'show your bones' but still packs an attitude punch mixed with a taste of vintage hook that New Yorkers are renowned for . 7/8 songs just keep growing more on you with each listen

5.0 out of 5 stars defo yeah yeah yeah, 12 April 2013
Mr. R. Preston (Hastings, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
Love a strong female lead singer. Got their previous 'show your bones' and that's quality also. Sure their new one is also, which i'll be buying off the back of 'it's blitz!'

3.0 out of 5 stars Loudness wars!, 8 Dec. 2009
Mr. A. D. Brophy (Winchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
Just a short review on a particular issue with this album. Loudness.

Overall this album seemed good but not great. there's great tracks here (Heads will roll, zero) and only a few weaker numbers, but overall it seemed of a level of song writing of their previous work, just oddly difficult to like. I waited for it to grow on me more and I really struggled to get why it didn't seem to work for me. i'd also note that their "new sound" didn't bother me at all - I like both rock and dance music so the new synth driven sound should be right up my street.

About that time I read an article on music being produced that was overly loud - i.e. where all sounds are amped up for instant wow factor, but at the loss of dynamic range (i.e. there's no quiet at all - just a flattened block of uniform volume levels), and this triggered a light bulb moment on how I feel on listening to Its Blitz. I'm not 100% sure if the way this album sounds is a result of suffering record-company/production decisions to turn it up, but if not I'd say that the band have themselves made an album that suffers the same effects.

Either way, there's very little change in tone throughout, and it does seem like there's no range of volume, just one ongoing, undifferentiated blast. Maybe that's why they call it It's Blitz. For me, it makes it a hard listen - quite tiring on the ears, and more importantly lacking in the emotional depth that made their best previous work (e.g. "Turn Into") so special.

Perhaps this sounds great as a ringtone. Will need to revisit this album on the smallest speakers I own to work out what they were up to...!

4.0 out of 5 stars YYY's go disco with impeccable timing, 17 Jun. 2009
J. Jenkins (Dudley Port, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
I approached this album with a healthy dose of scepticism. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a band who either have a Russell Grant-like ability to predict and adapt to the zeigeist, or, if you're more cynical, a willingness to jump on any bandwagon going.

Their debut album hit big at the peak of the New York art punk movement, they followed it with a fashionably genre-mashing sophomore effort, now for album three they've gone disco. That's right, just as the music press are creaming themselves over the likes of Little Boots, La Roux and Friendly Fires, in ride The Yeahs Yeahs Yeahs on a wave of mirrorballs, 'rock is dead' proclamations and previously unfashionable 80's synth pop influences.

However, now that I've actually listened to the thing, I find myself mostly concurring with the almost unanimous chorus of approval. Openers Zero and Heads Will Roll are copper bottomed pop tunes. Elsewhere, the band remind us of familiar strengths; songs like Dull Life and Shame and Fortune are showcases of their propulsive rhythms, infectious vocals and bludgeoning riffs, just played by Nick Zinner on synths rather than guitars. The highlight for me is Runaway, a complexly arranged and stunningly executed gradual build that's a world away from any sort of genre exercise.

My one problem is one I've always had with the bands work. The ballads here; Skeletons and Little Shadow, are pretty but have no emotional resonance for me. Karen O's lovesick blues simply leave me unmoved. Unlike someone like P.J. Harvey, who can produce a moment of wounded vulnerability as assuredly as a confident, sexy strut, O's gentle side always seems a little put on to me, like when she 'cries' in that Maps video. I have my doubts a YYY's record will ever touch my heart, no matter how many times Karen breaks up with that dude from Liars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album!, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: It's Blitz! (Audio CD)
I have seen these guys a few times and this is a great album with some really great tracks on it!

It's Blitz!
It's Blitz! by Yeah Yeah Yeahs (Audio CD - 2009)