4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Involver 2!
I downloaded this from I-tunes today, and I am now on my third listen through, which I personally dont find happens alot these days (I usually skip through cds on the first listen!) Sasha definitely has a way with his production (and mixing skills sometimes) or drawing you in, and taking you on a journey:

This is most definitely a return to the style of the...
Published on 3 Sep 2008 by C. A. Mckee

I hope that people will find this a balanced and fair appraisal of Invol2ver, I am not here to dismiss the album, nor to promote it, merely to say exactly how good I think it is.

Published on 7 Jun 2009 by N Snow

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Involver 2!, 3 Sep 2008
C. A. Mckee (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews

This is most definitely a return to the style of the previous Involver cd, that is electronic music that paints a picture. It comes in waves, and the disappears surging and gradually building to beautiful climaxes, then slowly ebbing away. Not quite as pounding and minimal as some of his more recent releases (mongoose, who killed sparky?) just well crafted progressive house. Some of the tracks are a little slow to my liking (I find sasha a little too drawn out in his live sets), but the album has a constant foot tapping and head nodding vibe to it. This is definitely getting stuck on repeat in the car, it is an album that makes the miles drift by like an ocean tide!

Enough of that pretentious reviewing, basically if you liked Involver, his recent movie soundtrack, seal clubbing, etc. The you will love this. If you really liked digweeds transitions vol 4 (and 1 &2 to a certain extent) this may be a bit too subdued for you liking...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece !, 10 Sep 2008
Ian Duffy (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I never write reviews but.. this mix is nothing short of incredible. Involver was good but i felt some of the tracks on it were forced into each other. Also, i felt on Fundacion the mix took a diversion shortly after the track 'Behind The Wheel' and stayed there too long - as a result you tend to lose interest in the mix but Invol2ver really makes up for it. The 'Thank You Mix 2008' on Sasha's website is also great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete return to form and beyond..., 8 Oct 2008
Both Sasha and Digweed have restored my faith in progressive house simultaneously.

Invol2ver and Transitions 4 are two of the best mixes I've heard since the GU Ibiza and Hong Kong mixes respectively way back in 1999.

Sasha, having bored me fairly rigid on two incoherent mixes namely Fundacion and Involver, has produced a beautiful and complex sound scape which blew me away on the first listen. The thing is this mix builds beautifully and hangs so well. The same could be said for Transitions 4 (Digweed)

I feel the Sasha has taken dance music in the direction he wants but has neared perfecting his craft. The tracks are more vocal and seem more subdued and wistful than in previous mixes (see Communicate) but has managed to build interesting and atmospheric layers over them while the melody simply brightens and brightens which achieves the euphoria it is designed to do.

Brilliant stuff. It's just ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't put my finger on it...., 30 Sep 2008
I'm not going to get caught in the gushing gooey Sasha trap. I've listened to the album a few times now and can't quite sum it up. There are moments of genius (aren't there always with Sasha?), but I can't help feeling that this lacks some of the imagination of Involver. It needs some breaks, more lushness, more melancholy, more something.

That said, I've checked myself before it's too late.... my expectations of Sasha are probably higher than that of any other DJ. Here-in lies the problem. If anyone else had released this, I would be extremely impressed. I know Sasha is even better than this though. The mix however, still gets 4 stars because it's very pleasant on the ear and in fairness the man has evolved his sound again, like he always does.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Involving, 15 Sep 2008
I've got to be honest; I approached this album with a heavy-heart. As a follower of the "man-like's" work since the early nineties I've been left more then a little cold by his output of late. Jaunts into more critic friendly pastures have served up indifferent works and in the case of the recent emFire collection, tuneless fodder drained of all melodic life.

So, you ask, does "Invol2ver" live up to the hype? Well yes. Mostly.

Whilst the original suffered from some lacklustre sequencing it's successor scores.

Rather like days of yore, Sasha slips through the gears firstly with the smooth "You Are The Worst Thing In The World" before going in deep with the superb "Eclipse". The RayLaMontange dissection kick-starts a spell bounding passage that just drags you in until the pressure becomes unbearable, peaking when Sasha unleashes an almighty dark-prog-trance broadside in the guise of "That You Might". Driving house shenanigans the like of which that have been worryingly absent from Mr. Coe's sets for far too long.

However, Ladytron's "Destroy Everything You Touch" is just wrong. Much like Felix The Housecat on the original it has no place at the table as far as I'm concerned. It's just as well that the mix is redeemed when the peak-time "Couleurs" is sequenced with the broken beats of "The Erasure". A beautiful coming together that demonstrates the real power of studio tinkering.

It's been a while, but "Invol2ver" is Sasha's best offering since the genre defining "GU: Ibiza". Buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 11 Nov 2008
E. Ross (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
I find it difficult to explain how good this album is. Global Underground refer to Invol2ver as a masterpiece (in the 'Global Underground 2009' sleeve notes. It is. I don't feel the need to qualify this statement. Sasha is peerless. Usually, I make the mistake of listening to albums too often and they quickly lose their appeal. However, this beautifully crafted album just gets better every time. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invol2ver Exposed, 14 Sep 2008
I've been waiting for this release with anticipation, wondering what Sasha could possibly follow Involver with, which direction the music would flow and if the atmospherics would still be prevalent throughout. There was never any doubt in my mind that however Sasha decided to orchestrate it, there would be a journey here worth revisiting.

The opener on CD1 rumbles in with Badger clocking in at just under two minutes providing the intro to Telefon Tel Aviv's 'You Are The Worst Thing In The World' (Invol2ver Remix), a gorgeous slice of laid back electronica insterspersed with breathy vocals which sets the pace of the album perfectly before seamlessly flowing into Rone's 'Flesh - another chilled soundscape that drifts smoothly forward with a soft chugging bassline. The percussion begins to build nicely on next track 'Eclipse' where Sasha and Ray LaMontage tweak twisted minimal vocals against a more familiar progressive build up with borderline tribal elements. Next up is Sasha and Adam Parker's 'Lowlife', a steady killer with full on hypnotic, gripping drive which you both expect and want to last for about 9 minutes. Not this version; after almost 4 minutes, he craftily drops Adam Parker's vocal sample mix of Charlie May's 'Midnight' in, bringing the tempo right back down before sneaking back up and slamming in Apparat 'Arcadia' (Who Killed Sparky? indeed).
Home Video continue the pace with 'That You Might' - deep, moody with some great bleeps flitting off around the treated vocals that creep in and out throughout.
Next up, Ladytron's 'Destroy Everything You Touch' gets a massive reworking by Sasha which flies off into mindbending territory with heavily treated vocal samples being squeezed to excess over a crunching bassline. It's one of those you will either love or despise. M83's 'Couleurs' brings the mix back in with some lush string laden keyboards and heavy drum roll samples which lead perfectly into Sashas own remix of Thom Yorke's 'The Eraser' which works beautifully here.
Sasha then gives us one of his own quirky little numbers in the shape of '3 Little Piggys' which rolls steadily away on a bassline occasionally washed over by a repetitive keyboard hitch before flowing into the closing number - Engineers' 'Sometimes I Realise'. This is probably the closest the album gets to having a vocal track on it, which in itself is a catchy number yet not something I personally would probably buy as an individual track on it's own merit (sorry Engineers).

CD2 (if you're lucky enough to get a limited edition copy with this included) is very different to CD1. At the moment, on second listen, I'm prefering this. It's shorter (only six tracks) and is a more downtempo affair. It contains three tracks from CD1 (albeit it different versions) and three other tracks. If you can find the double pack CD edition, PLEASE purchase this, otherwise you will miss out on something very special indeed.
Thom York's 'The Eraser' (Sasha Coma Mix) starts it off with a nice kick drum over a sparse background with a nice reworking on the vocals. The keyboads are minimal but used to good effect which flow perfectly into Girls In Hawaii's dubby 'Flavor' (Sashas Invol2ver Mix). Which brings us to my absolute favourite track on the entire double CD release. Lostep's 'Burma' (Sasha's Invol2ver Dub Mix). This is 9 minutes and 26 seconds of sheer bliss. There's no rushing to get anywhere with this piece. To say this is chilled heaven would be an understatement. Mainly instrumental with heavily reverbed voice and keyboards awash with echo, it sweeps along in a dreamlike state with an occasional upfront keyboard blowing deep hissing stabs that punctuate the motion. It really doesn't get much better than this.
Home Video's 'Gas Tank' (Sashas Invol2ver Mix) is next, which leans heavily towards the Radiohead/Thom Yorke domain and works well with yearning vocals against mechanical percussion, ending with distorted voices before taking us into an extended version of Charlie May's 'Midnight'. More layered, swirling keyboards which biuld up into an atmospheric crescendo before leading into the final track - Sasha Vs RayLaMontage's 'Eclipse' (CM Dub Mix).The heavy use of bass complements a steady beat and dubbed up noise which at just under 10 minutes long, gives the CD a perfect ending.

All in all, for me, Invol2ver works very well as a Sasha release and to be fair, I've only listened to it twice as of yet.
For those of you that like Involver, I don't think you will be disappointed in this release. For many fans of Sasha's earlier workings that veer to the more 'progressive' side, give this a listen and don't dismiss it without hearing it first.
In a recent interview Sasha himself spoke about the Invol2ver album and about him being tagged as a 'progressive' DJ. This is what he had to say:

"...It's not been about sticking to a certain genre...I mean, it's become a genre and I think a lot of people involved in that progressive genre get upset when I start to throw in breakbeats and guitars and this and that....I've never really been a 'purist', I'm not a purist. Having said all that, it's actually quite a pure record, an electronic record with 808's, 909's and it's a very pure electronic sounding record, so I think it might appease some of those people that were upset about all the guitars on the last record [laughs].."

Overall, this CD took me to places that were sometimes familiar, and other places not too familiar but more importantly, yes, places I shall revisit again and again. It's a winner!.

3.0 out of 5 stars No way near as good as Involver, though not through lack of trying., 7 Jun 2009
N Snow "Nick Snow" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews

If I were to write a review commending Sasha on his abilities, mixing techniques and sheer class of production then you would probably be reading a 5 star review right now. Sasha continues to push his art to its limits with this sequel to the classic mix "Involver". His achievement is a fantastic mix with seemless mixing, artistic atmospheres, a smooth flowing transition between tracks and a unique selection of abstract tunes from such artists as Thom Yorke and The Engineers. My theory is that if you were to read one of the 5 star reviews of this album, they would praise these elements heavily, and rightfully so.

However, there is a little problem with Invol2ver, and indeed (in my opinion) with Sasha's recent progression from house and trance music into this minimalistic style. In short, Invol2ver is no way near as good as its predecessor due to the fact that Sasha has picked a selection of slow-moving, repetitive, flat, dull tracks boasting little more than intertwining atmoshperes and some clever little sound effects. Involver featured some magnificent melodies from tracks like Burma and Dorset Perception, some banging club tunes like Watching Cars Go By and On My Own and found the time to fit in some amazing mixing through tracks like In A State, Belong and Talk Amongst Yourselves. Conversely, the flat, repetitive sound of Invol2ver can be heard simply by listening to the track 3 Little Piggys, a long boring song with no amazing finale, no tangible melody, no brilliant drops or basslines and basically no interesting moments.

Having said that, the mix ends incredibly strong with Sometimes I Realise which is one of the best tracks I have ever heard Sasha spit out and there are a couple of moments where I wwas very intrigued. Unfortunately, my intrigue would often be raised highly and then savagley cut down by yet another repetitive minimalistic song.

So to summarise:
MIXING - 5/5
TRACK SELECTION - 1/5

Total mark 3/5

If you want a well mixed cd that also has the luxury of using great dance tracks then for the time being stick with Involver. If you think that Sasha's work sounded so much better when he created tracks like "Xpander" and "Cloud Cuckoo" rather than "Park It In The Shade" then you probably won't like Invol2ver as much. Please Sasha, stop plodding on with this aweful minimalist movement and just go back to making brilliant music like AirDrawnDagger. Yours sincerly, a big fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Involver 2, 11 Sep 2008
C. A. Mckee (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(review from other item named the same)
I downloaded this from I-tunes a few hours ago, and I am now on my third listen through, which I personally dont find happens alot these days (I usually skip through cds on the first listen!) Sasha definitely has a way with his production (and mixing skills sometimes) or drawing you in, and taking you on a journey:

5.0 out of 5 stars Involv2ver OUTSTANDING! a masterpiece, 27 Aug 2008
Mr. M. J. Moore (England) - See all my reviews
i notice that the reviews for Invol2ver have got mixed up with the original involver thus far...

anyhow, i am reviewing the Invol2ver the follow up to Involver which i heard a promo copy of...and am waiting get the real thing

It is magical! Ive listened to hundreds of mixes, and Invol2ver is the best, most perfect i ever heard...dreamy, melodic, powerful, its like a warm cosy blanket from start to finish, and it never leaves you hanging...

it has highs and lows, but not as with some mixes where you get sucked in for a few minutes here and there then spat out again waiting for the next wave...it is subtle, seamless, gentle...and you are gripped from start to finish

I guess it would be labeled progressive house...whatever is the best category for it..its perfect!

3 listens and you are addicted...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›