5.0 out of 5 stars Catch Like A Virus
Published on 8 Mar. 2010 by Bongo

3.0 out of 5 stars Retro but good
It's not a *brilliant* album, it does taper off towards the end, but it *is* their first so give them space, and "Bulletproof" is just so great it's almost worth buying just for that track!

If I have a criticism though it's so blatantly influenced by early 80's synthpop I almost feel Vince Clarke should have a royalty credit - this music just wouldn't exist if...
Published on 7 Nov. 2009 by SynthBoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Catch Like A Virus, 8 Mar. 2010
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
This album should carry a Health Warning. Truly the musical equivalent of Measles, infectious, an itch you cannot scratch. I hated this album when i first heard it. I am, after all, a dedicated Heavy Metal fan... this electronic rubbish was not to be to my taste. 48 hours later i was sat in a friends car when i heard La Roux again. I have probably never had a greater musical epiphany. Elly Jackson has one of the best voices of this decade and La Roux have produced one of the most intelligent 'pop' records of this genre. Instant classics like 'In For the Kill' and 'Bulletproof' are immediate in their impact and infectiousness but the true depth of La Roux is hidden in gems such as 'Colourless Colour'. Dismiss at your peril... you really would miss out on the freshest and most intelligent pop albums of all time. Catch the bug now! Now... how do i disguise this amidst my Maiden albums..

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s better than the 1980s., 21 Jun. 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Elly Jackson has the Eighties obsession, red hair and androgynous looks, doesn't she want to be the next Annie Lennox? Admirable, but La Roux frontwoman has a somewhat limited range of a voice, she sings every song in the same high-pitched thrill, which tends to become almost a scream when she struggles to give a note emphasis. That said, I still really enjoyed the album and lived through a period of playing it over and over again.

The album is a mix of vintage style synth sounds and beats, sharp riffs, spooky background vocals, cheerful bassline, lively keyboards and Jackson’s penetrating voice. It is a good effort, very well rounded and enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of pop's most refreshing releases in recent years, 30 July 2009
J. Goh "Jason Goh" (Birmingham, West Mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
I am 42 and have been in love with music since my childhood. I am deeply passionate about a very wide variety of music, from serious classical music to opera, lived through the 80s with the the New Wave movement, then Madonna and Pet SHop Boys formed the soundtrack of life from the 90s on; discovered trance and danced till it died in the 21st century.

I still buy CDs and always try to keep up with pop other than those from winners of TV talent shows. Why is all this relevant? Let me say this, this album is one of the most refreshing pop releases in recent years!! Yes she has got an odd voice, yes, the lyrics are odd, yes, she looks odd, yes, at first and second listen many of the tracks share similar beats and even chords. But this girl knows how to put a catchy tune together. Remember when songs used to be about melody and tune? This is like the 80s all over again. What were the better pop releases in the past year or two? Sasha Fierce? E=MC2? Day and Age? Funhouse?The Sweet Escape? Relapse? Count La Roux in! Give it a go, don't take it too seriously, and treat your ears to some catchy tunes again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not far off, 5 Aug. 2009
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
I waited 6 months for this album so I had quite high expectations that, understandably, were going to be hard to live up to.
Having said that, i think it's a fantastic debut from a great artist, even if it's not to everyones taste.
My personal favourites are 'Tigerlily', 'Colourless Colour' and 'I'm Not Your Toy' (as well as the released tracks).
The only forgettable tracks are 'As If By Magic' and 'Armour Love' and even these are still pleasant to listen to.
Overall, a great album - not perfect, but not far off.

5.0 out of 5 stars More La Roux, please! Read on..........., 29 Mar. 2015
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Although I bought the new album 'Trouble in Paradise' first and didn't know this one (apart from the track 'Bulletproof'), I have found it hugely uplifting and inspiring and can't help wondering just where I've been hiding all this time! Upbeat, upcoming, punchy, funky, young, modern, sexy and feminine, the album teems with emotion and promise. Gorgeous! La Roux's voice, instrumentals and lyrics are so captivating and engrossing, they are hypnotic - and so easy to sing along with, especially alone in the car at high volume! I am luvvin' the stuff!! I saw La Roux aka Ellie Jackson in concert in February (Koko Club, Camden) and the whole thing just blew me away; I felt moved and happy for weeks afterwards! That said, I wish she had sung 'Cover my eyes' from this record and 'Paradise is you' from her recent one. I would also have liked her to have introduced her band, as they are so talented, lively and well, just.......musical. I love the scratchy guitar playing and the versatile keyboards. I was never a particular fan of synth-pop but somehow, La Roux transcends so many genres. At just 25, I think she is amazing and am waiting impatiently for more. I feel too old to attend musics festivals or to travel to Germany to see her. More solo performances in England, please! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars return to the 80's, 29 July 2009
T. BUTTERS "Trevor Butters" (Spalding,Lincs,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Love the 80's? Love electropop? Then love La Roux & love their amazing debut album! Favourite tracks: Cover My Eyes & Reflections Are Protection as well as the singles, but there's not a duff track on the album. Elly's vocals are superb throughout,Ben's keyboard work is simple but sensational! If you love Erasure & Human League you will LOVE La Roux!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Gets you moving like a deranged robot, 3 Mar. 2011
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Back in the day, I loved my 80's synth pop bands. When this synth 'pap' came on Radio 6 Music, I couldn't place it, as I thought I knew (or had bought) all of the genre of any merit. I didn't want to be bothered by it and so, La Roux dipped below my horizon.

Then, to my surprise, a good friend (he's 60) who likes rock, often heavy rock asked me for this CD as a Christmas present. I had forgotten who La Roux was or that this CD was by them, or their stupidly infectious tracks. With his permission, I ripped the CD and when I did, I played it a few times.

I've borrowed the CD back from him (I much prefer CD sound via hi-fi) just to see if I had missed La Roux. Whether I'd be as moved as much as maybe he was and the answer is, no, not really. It's still good, very good in parts. 'Bulletproof' is so Ace of Base, it's uncanny.

I will be able to live without the CD when I give it back but will undoubtedly get a warm glow when I hear 'In For the Kill' yet again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true ?, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Where do I start, this album is absolutely FANTASTIC!!! From virtually any point of analysis, the music is of course boppy 80's style, which makes it retro. The lyrics really put the female emotion across very well and avoid the usual "I can't live without you" or "I am thinking of you" basic stuff. The lyrics are really in depth and I think help us men understand women better. The fact that they are poetic just adds to the magic.

The singing voice (sorry don't know her name) is angelic and pure. If they album was 10 hours long, I would gladly listen to it over and over again.

The thing that irritates about the band "la roux" is they have only given us one studio album which I think is a crying shame. One wonders that even if they do manage to release another one, will it be up to the standard of this one.

If they did it would be a blessing to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Track 11. Armour Love 2 minutes of silence, 21 July 2009
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
Is it just me, have I got a faulty disc...

Track 11. Armour Love has 2 minutes of silence which is very strange.
This track is the longest on the album 5.52 minutes shame that the last 2 minutes are completely silent.

That said I love the Album & have been playing it over & over in the Car, Computer, and Mp3 Player & even at other peoples houses if they let me.

UPDATE: 14th August 2010

I have had this Album for over a year & it still sounds so so fresh, I still love it & play it several days a week.
You will really enjoy this Album & if you are into Remixes the get the 'Bulletproof' and 'In For The Kill' remixes.

I can't find anybody else who has noticed the 2 minutes silence on track 11- 'Armour Love' so I can only conclude that my disc must have been faulty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan since Quick sand!, 7 Aug. 2009
This review is from: La Roux (Audio CD)
I couldn't wait for this album to come out and I was not disappointed!! I have since converted several friends to being fans and can't wait to see her in November in Glasgow! I totally recommend this album- Tigerlilly (track 2) is amazing!

La Roux
La Roux by La Roux (Audio CD - 2009)