4.0 out of 5 stars Things improve when the trams arrive
Looking at the reviews on Amazon of any of the Super Furries output, I'm struck by the fact that if you asked a hundred of their fans to list the nine SFA albums in order of preference, no one would list them in exactly the same order. More important, however, is the fact that the hundred fans would probably agree that there hasn't been a dud in that run of nine. Some are...
Published on 21 Nov 2009 by S. C. JONES

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmm so so this one not as good as hey venus!
Published on 25 May 2009 by P. W. Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 albums since 1996; how are they still this awesome?, 26 Mar 2009
Sick Mouthy (Exeter, Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
I've liked SFA for 13 years, and occasionally (Radiator & Guerilla) REALLY, REALLY liked them, but there's always been a sense that they're too familiar, too consistently good, to really love intensely. Well, I'm fast approaching 30 now, and SFA have suddenly revealed themselves as the metaphorical "brown-haired girl-next-door who was right for you all along", so to speak, largely thanks to Dark Days/Light Years.

I almost see DD/LY as a flipside to Hey Venus!; where that last album was essentially a collection of brief, energised pop songs that revitalised the band after the slightly tepid and mature Love Kraft, SFA's new offering showcases their longer, groovier, more psychedelic side, and does it brilliantly.

Yes, there are still moments of (glam) pop (Inconvenience, Mt) amongst the krautrock-y psychedelia, but it's definitely the wiggy guitar solos of Crazy Naked Girls, the motorik beats of Inaugural Trams, and shimmering psychedelic dynamic of Cardiff In The Sun (as beatific as Some Things Come From Nothing), and the full-on groove of Pric that characterise things for the most part.

Saying that, though, possibly the best track here is the gorgeously odd The Very Best Of Neil Diamond, which is both very pop and pretty damn avant-garde at the some time, mixing deliciously odd loops, textures, and percussive patterns into something so original that, well, you wouldn't expect it from anyone other than SFA.

I used to write about music for a couple of magazines and websites, but the last 18 months or so has seen me give that up after becoming pretty jaded with the state of things in the music scene. DD/LY has reinvigorated my love for music as well as my love for SFA themselves; as well as making me want to get their whole back-catalogue out (and I have! they're fantastic!) it's also made me want to get my headphones out in general, after far too long gathering dust. SFA OK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just genius - fact!, 27 Mar 2009
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
Playful, rocking, tender, psychedelic, shimmering, groovy, harmonic, magical, and mad as a box of frogs, it is quintessential SFA. Go on, spoil your ears.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and brave, 28 May 2009
R. Le Mentec "Fanof99" (London) - See all my reviews
Dark Days/Light Years

The Furries are back and that's excellent, I missed them. They never got to the point of being dull, but somewhat one could be forgiven being just content with a swift curious glance at each new release and leave it at that. Yet this time, the "Inaugural Trams" have kicked me out of my laziness. I'm so glad the album lives up to this single, with the same gumption that was oozing from "Guerilla" ten years ago and which lacks most bands today. I hope a new wave of younger fans decide to embark on the Furry boat this year, discover their fantastic discography and come out to see them this summer. Long live SFA.

3.0 out of 5 stars mmmm so so this one not as good as hey venus!, 25 May 2009
P. W. Higgins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
I've had this album for a month or so and it's not really growing on me maybe i need to listen to it more. The previous sfa album was an instant classic and this isn't best track by a mile is "inaugural trams" if you're new to sfa maybe start elsewhere they can be a bit experimental and frustrating at times but their best work really is great try "radiator" "rings around the world" and "hey venus" or "songbook-the singles" as a starting point then work through their back catalogue from there.

4.0 out of 5 stars cd review, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
It was a present for my partner and he loved it! He has been asking me to buy it for a while, so was very pleased when he found it in his Christmas stocking!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic SFA, 27 Jun 2009
Mark Morgan "Morgman" (Manchester, North of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
After being a bit on the laid back side over the last few years, this is proper in your face, loud and noisy stuff. Some of the usual crazy mad lyrics (who else would write a song about German trams?), superb rifts (especially the Asian vibe of Neil Diamond) and as always top notch melodic harmonies. There is also an 8 minute chunk of mellow psychedelic brilliance - "Cardiff in the sun". Not quite at the heights of Rings Around the World but certainly getting up there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still come up with some crackers, 26 May 2009
Coc y Gath (Caerdydd/Cardiff) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
A continuation of the form they recaptured on 'Hey Venus' after the, in my opinion, over experimantal 'Love Craft'. They have a knack for a catchy
tune and at the moment I can't get 'Inaugural Trams' out of my head.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!!, 14 May 2009
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
Was a present for my husbands birthday, he's a big super furrys fan and he states it was up to the usual standard. The album will need a bit of time to grow on you but he thoroughly enjoys listening to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Their worst yet, 13 Oct 2009
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
I've tried to listen to this album twice. I think it's really weak. The songs are poor. I love bands that Jam such as the Grateful Dead and more recently Ryan Adams and The cardinals, but you need quality songs to carry it off. By all accounts these were studio and soundchecked Jams they've worked on- it shows. This is from someone who loves this band.

2.0 out of 5 stars meh, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Dark Days/Light Years (Audio CD)
i love the sfa.but this album sounds lazy and rushed.it's lyrically hollow and really boring.i tryed to like it,but i hate it.it's rubbish.

Dark Days/Light Years
Dark Days/Light Years by Super Furry Animals (Audio CD - 2009)