5.0 out of 5 stars First class Masher
Published on 20 Nov 2010 by Blackcatgirl

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst masher I have ever used.
I own quite a few Joseph Joseph items and find them all practical and good-looking - unfortunately I can't say the same about this masher.

Published on 11 Mar 2012 by Sam

5.0 out of 5 stars First class Masher, 20 Nov 2010
This review is from: Joseph Joseph Smasher, Pump-action Potato Masher - Green (Kitchen & Home)
Having purchased this masher recently and used it several times already, I think this could possibly be the best masher ever made. It is easy to use, mashes potato perfectly AND as it's usually me who does the washing up the extra bonus is that it's is SO easy to clean even if you forget to rinse it straight after using. My old masher was a killer to try and clean if potato had dried on a bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars For mash get Smash-er, 9 Jan 2010
M. Harrison "Hamish" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
As you may have noticed, most men have a limited range of household chores, and they tend to perform them with disproportionate fuss, and almost invariably the application of some type of mechanical device. Hence you are likely to find a man the master of mowing the lawn, perhaps hoovering, and possibly cooking activities that involve the use of a blender or some kind of over-designed gadget.

Well I am no exception.

This is the perfect over-designed gadget to satisfy the fuss I bring to the task of making mashed potato. And although this is obviously by no means a gender-specific piece of kitchen equipment, could only a man be bothered enough actually to review it?

The central claim of the Joseph Joseph masher is that it pushes the potato up and not out - thereby increasing the efficiency of the mashing process. And I say full marks to whoever was bothered enough to identify this as a problem that needed solving. Because darn me, they're right. It does indeed push the potato up, and therefore into the masher rather than away from it. The mash it makes is very smooth, and does seem to get to that consistency faster than with a conventional masher.

The only downside is that it gets clogged with potato, and therefore needs banging against the side of the pan. This is true of any masher, but on this one it isn't clear where one should bash it, because the natural bash point is where the spring mechanism resides.

Hopefully Joseph Joseph will address this issue in Mk2 of this device. It'll give us chaps the chance to compare models. And write more reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joseph Joseph Smasher Green, 22 April 2010
Really easy to use, no stress and looks funky. NOt sure where to put it though..it's kinda big for draws and cupboards and a bit of squeeze in a utensil jar...

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Mash!, 29 Oct 2010
I have problems with my shoulder so bought this hoping I could make mashed potato without wishing I hadn't bothered.Does the job very well,much easier than the maual mashers;mash has nice a nice smoothness and it's easy to clean.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst masher I have ever used., 11 Mar 2012
Sam (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews

It creates lumpy mashed potato without fail. I've owned the thing for well over 18 months, and every time I use it I vow to throw it in the bin and buy another one. I make mashed potato fairly infrequently, and having used it again today (and ultimately having to mash the lumps out of a massive pan of mash with a fork), I have finally got rid of it. I find that the spring mechanism offers no benefit whatsoever over a conventional masher. I would even go as far as to say it can make mashing more difficult. That, and there are no real flat areas on the masher, which would usually press the potato into the pan (as well as it going through the holes) when you mash and aid in removing lumps. Subsequently, you end up with squareish chunks of unmashed potato that never get mashed no matter how long you continue mashing for, because all the lumps just go through the holes! It is dreadful. Unless of course there are people who like their mash with 1cm cubes of unmashed potato in - if so, this is the masher for them!

The solitary reedeeming feature of this masher (aside from looking nifty) is the handle. The rounded end with the hole is great for getting a good grip, and you can hook your thumb through the hole to apply some force your potatoes. If they could make a conventional style masher with this handle, I'd be delighted to try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Masher, 14 Feb 2011
I had been quite impressed with other J-J kitchen items so thought I might give this a go. I was slightly skeptical as I didn't see a lot of room for improvements in mashing technology, but I was wrong. It does do what it claims and it does make mashing much easier. I seriously doubt I'll ever switch to a different masher. The plastic also makes it easier to clean and less likely to damage a non-stick pot.

One tip I would share is to make sure you use it in deep pots. The mash does get pushed straight up the handle, and if you're near the edge of a pot it can go everywhere on the 'up' stroke.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good looking masher, 4 Dec 2012
This product is very impressive looking, but it takes a bit of getting used to. If you put butter in before mashing, the potato is just pushed through the holes unbroken. Though if you persevere, they will mash.

5.0 out of 5 stars its a masher worth getting excited for!, 19 April 2011
No1 Ellen Fan "Gopher" (Sunny Devon, Angleterre!) - See all my reviews
Before I brought this I read reviews by men saying how great it was and a smile crept across my face as I wondered how anyone can get excited...well, I have arthritus in my hands and I can now mash potatoes once again!With ease.... Whooooo hoooo!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but does require a special technique to use successfully., 9 May 2014
Received this as present, rather than purchased through Amazon, but thought I'd comment anyway. This item works superbly but because of the way it is designed you have to 1) always use a full stroke from the top of the frame to the base; 2) lift the masher and place it in a new spot after each stroke. If you do this you'll get a good result - otherwise you'll get the big lumps described in other reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars yummy., 22 April 2014
Makes lovely mash, I thought a masher was a masher but try it and you will tell the difference to.