5.0 out of 5 stars yus my dear
long forgotten comedy gem from the 70's.
this is one of the sitcom's i barely remember,so i thought i would risk buying it,and i'm glad i did.
the set up is based around wally and lily briggs and his sponging brother..wally is the butt of most of the jokes,but it works really well.
if like me your heart lies firmly in the 70's,then you will love this...
Published on 3 July 2009 by Darren Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars An uncomfortable watch...
I remember this series well and at the time thought it quite funny. I have bought it and watched it recently and how the memory plays tricks. The actors deserved better scripts and even Mike Reid appears to be playing himself or rather that well beloved character he was later to play in a BBC soap of note.
I know the writers were having a pop at the society of the...
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by C. FULLER

5.0 out of 5 stars yus my dear, 3 July 2009
Darren Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
long forgotten comedy gem from the 70's.
if like me your heart lies firmly in the 70's,then you will love this.
there are no extras,but the show make up for this.
recommended...now when is romany jones coming out????

5.0 out of 5 stars Yus,My Dear series one, 22 Feb 2010
S. Ellson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I enjoy many classic seventies comedies, and this certainly isn't a classic in the league with the likes of Rising Damp,Porridge or Til death us do part etc, but it is a Classic in its own league. I remembered watching it as an 8 year old in 1976 and jumped at the chance to buy this DVD. I don't think it has been repeated anywhere in the last 30 years. Mullard doesn't have too much of a role as you would expect, and seems to tread water with his apparent lack of comedy nous. Queenie Watts is an old trouper and gets some good lines in this first series. The whole series 1 for me is dominated by Mike Reid, who in a rare TV Comedy acting role, (can't think of any others) carries the rest of the cast, is very funny, has excellent lines, ad-libs with his own brand of Stand-up one liners and catch phrases to the point I thought he deserved his own spin-off series. Maybe this should have happened? Overall its worth watching again, and I can't wait to buy series 2 when available.

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes you back, 19 Aug 2009
D. Ward "Blackrock" (Brighton. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
This DVD takes you back to the 1970s, a comedy of its time. A joy to see Queenie Watts and Arthur Mullard again. I keep expecting Mike Reid to say 'runaround'. Many amusing moments and laughs.

4.0 out of 5 stars OOO Gawd Blimey!, 1 July 2009
G. Horne (Cheltenham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
I remember this series when it was on LWT in 1976; hearing the theme tune again made me laugh! Im watching an episode a week, usually at the Weekends, and its very of its time, and amusing-there are a few good laughs in it,and while not in the same category as Till Death or Porridge, its well worth buying--Network are great at releasing old television that I want to watch again..

5.0 out of 5 stars Lurid's the word, 16 Feb 2011
Jacqueline Munro-smith "Jacquiems" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
What a find ! I first saw this couple in a support role in Holiday on the Buses describing the Butlers as 'bleedin' common'. Step back in time, enjoy Frank from EastEnders before he was Frank and wonder at the simple yet wonderfully inclusive and family-oriented lifestyle.
oh yes, and . . . . . laugh out loud too or LOL.

What a loss people like Arthur Mullard are to today's television and what a treat to watch something scripted and rehearsed instead of reality TV.
Watch out for social history: how much they receive a week in wages / income support and unintended comments on housing availability, that's if you can stop giggling.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I would have expected!, 28 Jun 2009
Mr. K. Scott (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
My expectations before purchasing the DVD didn't disappoint me after watching the six episodes included within this DVD. Funny? Sort of in a very crude 1970's way but I grew up with this type of humour during my formative years so it does strike a chord with me. Queenie Watts was undoubtedly the lead in the show; Arthur Mullard was definitely the stooge and sometimes I felt was in the show just to 'pad it out' a bit but he had his uses during some scenes. Mike Reid? Well..... he was just playing himself with the occasional 'triffic' uttered!

Overall a moderately funny DVD as long as you know what you're going to let yourself in for in a cosy 1970's trip back in time - loud wallpaper, cocktail cabinets that are part of the furniture and scenarios that you can see a mile off happening. Will I buy second volume? I'd need to reserve judgement on that which usually means I will - but not at the price volume 1's at.

4.0 out of 5 stars Queenie's Castle, 31 May 2013
Alan James "Maebuschfan" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
No, not the Diana Dors sitcom. Caravan-dwelling Wally & Lil Briggs (Arthur Mullard and Queenie Watts) proved to be a popular component of Ronald Wolfe & Ronald Chesney's earlier sitcom "Romany Jones" with the pair sharing a great on-screen chemistry. With the couple leaving the caravan site to take up residence in a council house, the dim-witted "I ain't fick" Wally is kept in check by his shrewish, no-nonsense spouse. I've always liked this partnership (still do). The inclusion of Mike Reid as Benny, Wally's sponging Jack-the-lad brother gave Lil another character to spar with, as he manages to slide his feet under the Briggs' table while continually attempting to fleece his soft touch brother, accompanied by the leggy Valerie Walsh as his dizzy girlfriend, Molly.

A ratings winner back in early 1976, the humour is typical of many ITV sitcoms of the era - unpolished and simple. The scripts are hardly classic sitcom material but there's some fun to be had with the garish 70s décor (and Mullard's equally garish outfits!) Despite the generally weak scripts the cast perform well, but for me it's the energetic contribution from the excellent Queenie that gives the series a lift, without which the show would really have struggled. A product of it's time which should be treated as such. 7/10.

The picture & sound quality is good. There are no extras or subtitles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny., 16 Dec 2012
Mrs. L. M. Gabriel (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
Got this and second series for parents and they love it. Something to cheer you up on a rainy day.

5.0 out of 5 stars T'riffic!, 5 April 2010
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
Being a lover of 1970's sitcoms, I greatly enjoyed this DVD. It's almost like a parody of seventies comedy in it's lovable cliches and catchphrases, not to mention the hammy acting, but it's charm has been retained all these years later and is a nostalgic period piece for those that recall this from the time.

Mike Reid is superb in it, playing the cockney wide-boy to perfection. Can't wait for the second series.

5.0 out of 5 stars good old comedy at their best, 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] (DVD)
A must for all british comedy fans with this much long awaited release of 'Yus My Dear',
Great light viewing with well known supporting actors all played with charm and a great deal of fun, you don't get them like this any more, Hilarious comedy and good fond memories of great telly at its best. just hope they keep them coming, A wonderful series !! Great.

Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976]
Yus, My Dear - Series 1 [DVD] [1976] by Stuart Allen (DVD - 2009)
8.01