5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for on the move
I've been using a pair of Shure SE210 headphones for the past year. They weren't great sonically for the price, but blocked out sound brilliantly.

Published on 9 Aug 2010 by mgb

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 pairs broken the same way
These headphones are great for sound quality and comfort and all that I'd want from a pair, but I've had FOUR pairs now and every single one has broken via the SAME WAY:

If the cable gets caught on anything, and is given a slight tug (e.g. gets caught on your knee when you stand up on a train, or on a door handle as you walk through a door) then you can...
Published 13 months ago by abuckman

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones for on the move, 9 Aug 2010
This review is from: Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Black Foldable Headphones (Electronics)

I bought a pair of these ES55's off the back of a strong review and have been amazed by the improvement over the Shure's. Detail is brilliant and you really get a sense of the space between instruments. They very occasionally get a bit excited at the very top end, but that could be down to some of the recordings. Otherwise brilliant.

Although they are closed back so leak much less sound than - say, a pair of Grado's - there is still quite a bit of leakage if you're playing music loud (especially in comparison to a pair of canal earphones like the Shures).

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't rely on reviews just go to a store, 3 Mar 2014
This is my 2nd pair of these earphones after 4 great years of listening joy, I broke my original pair and was gutted so it was a no brainier when I had to replace them. For all those people writing reviews and talking about bass levels, mid, treble etc, please don't listen to them, no ones ears are the same and you have just got to go to a store try a selection of headphones and then order the one you like on Amazon.
I'm not going to say these are better than a pair of BOSE or Sony, I just know that when I listen to my music that these headphones are the business, I'm a hip hop head but also love Jazz, Reggae and classical music and these headphones seem to adjust to whatever the style of music, there's no leakage unless your seriously hard of hearing and the sound is crisp and clean, I personally don't know what too much bass means or not enough treble, all I know is that I'm glad I decided to go into a store in London and try these out on my iPhone and I was "Richer" for the experience.
If you read reviews by so called headphone experts, ignore them, you'll end up changing your mind after every review and you'll be on Amazon for a long time.
I'm not saying you should go and buy these headphones but they are solid, sound good, definitely value for money and as long as your not wrestling with them they will last you a very long time, nothing wrong with the cable if you respect them they will last.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, 28 Nov 2010
Like possibly many people looking at these headphones, I was considering buying a pair of Beats by Dre Solos (or solo hd's). Many reviews I saw talked of the "muddy" sound though, which I picked up on when trying them out in a comet store. Alot of audio geek websites mentioned these as being great, and I saw that they were the "what hi-fi" award winners for 2010. Really pleased I saved around £90 by getting these - the sound is fantastic. It's true that you hear instruments and sounds other lesser phones just dont pick up. They look stylish (and expensive) too, although it's a shame they don't fold like the beats. The bag they come with is a bit suspect too, but these are minor issues - it's the sound that counts. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound great, but evidently poor plug design, 26 May 2013
I won't repeat the praise others have given - I think they sound very good and this is compared to the pair of Sennheiser PX200 I had before, which when I first bought I thought sounded like the best thing since sliced toast, but these sound even better, so must be like sliced toast with jam on top! If you are thinking there is a slight tone of scepticism in this review you'd be right - I think there is a huge amount of placebo effect going on in hifi purchases - to the extent there are supposedly sane people paying thousands on kettle leads for their hifis! Which brings me on to the second aspect of these headphones - durability - I think the only reason to spend a bit more on a cable is if they are more durable, since even if it has the most supreme superconducting connections with zero loss if they break you loose the whole signal! So I am currently on my second pair of these headphones with the first having developed an internal break in conduction near in the plug after about 6 months on. Now about 6 months on this second pair have developed the same fault. So the ES55s have a relatively soft rubber surrounding conductors in the plug, which it seems is poor at preventing breakages inside. My previous Sennheisers also developed a similar fault, but I think took longer - I don't know about other makes of headphones, but surely a relatively stiff material around the plug, which gradually becomes more flexible would be sensible, so that the local stresses around the plug are more evenly distributed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A review after a few weeks of use, 19 Jun 2011
Most people write reviews within the first hour of getting their product but in the case of headphones this is probably not the best approach. After a few weeks I don't think I've gotten the full burn in period as I haven't used them constantly everyday, but in general they are getting progressively better.
The sound on them is amazing for portable headphones, they can definitely compete with many non portable ones! The clarity of them is what I'm enjoying best and how easily defined each instrument is, these headphones didn't win What Hifi award 2010 for no reason. On heavier bass songs I feel like it's great but if a song lacks a strong bass the headphones don't seem as impressive, but maybe that's just the sort of music I listen to? In conclusion to the sound it couldn't really be better, if it was, I'm not that much of an audiophile to notice so for an average consumer they are more than excellent!
The hairline aluminum finish feels of very high quality and is great for the aesthetics of the headphones, the band doesn't compare in the classy look as it's a basic style and shape with no padding.
Only things to get at is they don't fold like Dr. Dres which would have really benefitted the "portable" claim, I have read another review and can imagine that if your bald it wouldn't be comfortable after long term use, I happen to have a lot of hair so I couldn't comment. And nit picking product could be improved if the cable was detachable from the cans so if you damage them your not stuffed!
This is a definite recommendation and I'm presuming because your on this page you already know the obvious that headphones like these are better than overpriced designer Dres for half the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, pity about the headband, 30 Jan 2013
These are a lovely sounding pair of headphones. They have a well rounded and punchy sound and because they are closed backed block a decent amount of sound coming in when used as a commuter. The only complaint I have with these is that the headband is a little uncomfortable because it is just made of plastic and not very adjustable.
For the money, these are an excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value, outstanding headphones, 7 Dec 2012
I was initially drawn in by the sexy, slick look of both the Beats by Dre ,and Skullcandy aviator phones, both which were priced at £180 and £150 respectively. But I took it upon myself to search reviews for the best sound versus value for money; I am SO glad I did that! The ATH-ES55's come in the top ten headphones and won an award back in 2010. I subsequently listened to both Dre and Aviator as compared to Audio Technica. There is no doubt whatsoever; The ATH-ES55's sound utterly superior, revealing high note detail I'd never before experienced, a rich and deep mid range and they handle deep bass perfectly well, with no reduction in quality nor distortion. The same cannot be said for the former two fashion accessories in the slightest. For £50 - £80 more you can have inferior sound, distortion and extreme disappointment. Why would you? Give your self an ear feast, save yourself some dosh and get these powerful little beasts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Aug 2011
I normally ignore "award" winners as they are tied to advertising..... However, in this case, Wow! You can hear nuances in guitar strumming, and breathing between singing- amazing. No seismic (read distorted) bass but tuneful bass.

Only criticisms are as others have commented- single detachable cable and a protective, not carrying bag please, Mr Techinca. AKG have that side perfect (great cans too, if too much "everything louder than everything else" for my taste). They do not block out as much as other closed full over-the-ears designs. Have not heard Grado's, Beyers, etc or higher end Sennheisers but these are so good...

Comments above relate to use with iPhone/Mac on flat settings and music from Greek (!) to Sabbath (you can actually make out the bass lines instead of a wall of noise). Get 'em.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, defined and spacious sound - excellent purchase., 31 May 2011
I feel the need to redress the balance against some of the dubious opinions that have been written here about these amazing headphones. I'm a serious listener with a stong musical background, so (and forgive me if this sounds big-headed) I have a very good ear.

As far as I'm concerned, for the size, weight and price, these beat all other cans at this level hands down. They provide an accurate and dynamically sensitive soundstage across treble, mid and bas ranges with astonishing stereo seperation. If I had to find fault at all (and this is getting very, very picky) I'd say the low bass is every-so-slightly 'loose', but I imagine that's because of their closed construction, and it really doesn't affect general listening at all.

There is very little sound bleed except at very high volumes. This is probably because they sit on the ear rather than around it, which is probably why they also allow a little external noise in (underground travellers beware). The reason for this is because of their size. If you need complete sound isolation you will either need to get some in-the-ear headphones (which I personally find very uncomfortable) or some that completely cover the ear, which will be much bigger and heavier as a result. In my opinion these are a perfect compromise.

Speaking of comfort, I find they are light enough for the plastic headband not to hurt the scalp at all. In addition they sit comfortably on the ear despite my having to wear glasses.

I had only purchased these on a friend's personal recommendation because an earlier purchase of some Sennheiser PX200's failed to arrive. I'm so glad they didn't. When the finally turned up they sounded like toys in comparison and have since gone back.

Really, don't look anywhere else - these are 'it'.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant over ear headphones, 9 Sep 2014
I've had these for almost a year now and can't fault them. They're perfect for everyday use - lightweight with good sound quality. I haven't had any issues with the cable, then again I'm very careful with them and don't throw them around or stuff them hastily into my bag. They come with a little pouch so there's no excuse to not take care of them. As someone else has said, try them out for yourself and see what you think as everyone has different tastes, but I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Black Foldable Headphones
Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Black Foldable Headphones by Audio Technica ATH-ES55 Black Foldable Headphones