5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (for travel)
Published on 13 Sep 2009 by David Powell

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, BUILD QUALITY needs attention
Published on 20 Feb 2010 by T. J. Field

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, BUILD QUALITY needs attention, 20 Feb 2010
T. J. Field "Electronics wizz" (Birmingham, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
While the headphones worked, I would give them a 5 star review all over, because the sound quality is incredibly good for the price, they sound more like 100 headphones, the quality is really great from bass to sparkly treble, obviously not on the level of the real high-end headphones such as klipsch x10, but these are a really great choice for most casual music listeners.

BUT
I had these for just over a month from Amazon, I adored them, then, they started making unusual noises and stopped working. The customer service at Amazon was exceptional, they sent out a replacement immediately.

THEN
I owned the second pair for just under a month, again they were great, and then the second pair stopped working completely again (the left ear went silent), so i had to send this pair back, (to which Amazon gave me a refund of the original price because they're brilliant at customer service)

So, although the sound of these headphones is fantastic, the build quality is pretty dire. the cable is VERY thin and could easily get damaged (and the cable is so thin that when it brushes against your coat or whatever it produces interference noises all the time), and the headphone body is plastic (fair enough) but not very solid and made out of multiple loose parts.

I have now decided to go for the Sennheiser IE7 earphones as they have similiar sound quality (well, slightly better) and a reinforced thick cable. They do cost 120 (double the price of the klipsch) but I want build quality as well as sound qualty this time, and it's worth the extra cost if they don't break...twice.

Hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent (for travel), 13 Sep 2009
David Powell (Wales - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
I bought these Klipsch Image S4 Headphones earphones, just before a flight. In flight they reduced the noise of the aircraft engine by about two thirds, this sound isolation also meant that it was impossible to carry out a conversation with the earphones in. They have a comfortable fit once you get used to it, and unlike other earphones I've used they don't fall out. The sound quality is sublime for their price & size, neutral with a clear & crisp upper/mid range and a tight, well controlled, bass range (which never booms even with the slap of a double bass). The sound isolation also means that you can turn the volume down considerably as you don't need to mask background noise as much (thereby saving your ears).

However, as other reviewers have mentioned, body sounds do transmit easily, so you hear your self breathe, chew, and the very loud thump of your feet hitting the pavement when you walk; to get an idea what this is like cover your ear hole with finger and breathe deeply. Your brain will quickly tune out the breath sounds, but the thump of your feet striking the ground will not be as it is way too loud! This characteristic means that they are only of real use when seated or travelling (though not when you're driving as the sound isolation would make this dangerous).

However I must say walking down a bustling high street with only the sound of my music and the thump of my feet was a novel experience, even a busker was unable to intrude into my sound isolated bubble!

When used in their natural habitat I wouldn't swap them for anything, except a more expensive model, but for use when walking, I'm going to find something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away By These headphones, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
I asked for these headphones as a birthday present. I have tried several pairs of headphones over the last couple of years to go with my IPod Classic 80 GB. I have wasted time and money. I should have got hold of a pair of these from the start. Within a couple of minutes of getting them out of the box. I had a perfect fit something I have never had with in ear phones. The sound is incredible. I am hearing a lot more detail than I ever have on my IPod I would say they are as good as my headphones that I use with my main system or better. The headphones I am talking about are a pair AKG which cost 150.00 five years ago. Any one looking for an upgrade from the standard IPod phones by these now they are the are the ultimate in comfort. And sound. Even if you paid full price for them they would be a bargain. Don't waste any more time or money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of an eye/ear opener, 21 Oct 2009
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
As someone who recently joined the iPhone generation I was quickly aware of the fact that the normal little earphones leave something to be desired so went looking for something better. Reading through the various different professional/magazine reviews the Klipsch S4 came out very well. I hadn't heard of the brand before but they've been around in the States since the 1940's so I reckoned they should know something.
I was quite pleased with the design of the headphones, the plug is well attached and the cable is slim and lightweight so won't pull the earphones out of your ear. It took a moment to get to grips with the different sized ear gels but as someone else mentioned getting this right really adds to the sound quality.
Then there's the sound. It really is brilliant, I know the S4s aren't cheap but they are amazing value. It was like the sound equivalent of cleaning your glasses. Suddenly there is much more clarity, loads of stuff you hadn't really noticed going on, a surprising amount of bass for such a neat design.
If you were wondering about whether to treat yourself to something better then the supplied noise making earphones these are a great choice.
If you were looking to buy a present for a music loving partner or parent these would score you serious long term brownie points.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect headphones (from someone who is picky), 18 Sep 2009
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
I ordered these after reading lots of reviews online on cnet and here, and was not disappointed.

Firstly and most importantly - sound quality. Detail is great - I love Sigur Ros and have heard depth and detail previously missing in other 20-30 pound headphones from Creative & Sony. Bass comes through beautifully on hip hop such as Mobb deep, and trance/dance music also sounds brilliant. The main thing here is the quality and depth of the bass doesn't come at the expense of detail, which it often does (if it's there at all) in cheaper headphones.

Ergonomically, these 'phones are also pretty faultless. There's no stupid connector to extend/contract the cable length trying to drag the headphones from your ear (Sony) and the asymmetric design means the 'phones don't stick out of each ear at right angles, stopping any movement of the headphones as you walk.

All in all, I'm very impressed - this is the first time I've spent this amount on headphones, but I can safely say I can see/hear the differences and would recommend them to anyone. Only caveat is to rip your tracks at a high bitrate (192+, preferably 320) - if you don't you will here defects on low quality tracks and you're missing out on great detail in tracks you love.

2.0 out of 5 stars If only...., 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
If I'd reviewed these within a couple of weeks of purchase, I probably would have given them four or five stars. I liked them so much that when my husband needed a new pair, these were a no-brainer purchase for him as well.

Positives -
* Super-comfy tips
* great sound

Negatives -
* Noisy cable
* Poor construction - way too flimsy.

So in our house in the last year, despite taking care with them, we have had 3 pairs of these fail. Two pairs stopped working in one ear, and the other pair in a bizarre incident on the tube got caught while squeezing out of a packed carriage but instead of just popping out of my ears, both the cables actually snapped out at the Y joint! How is that even possible? The joint is less secure than the joint between my ears and the earpieces!!

Decided to cut my losses and try something different. Went with the Brainwavz M3, and so far these seem to be much more robust, with even better sound than the S4s and a quiet cable. Much happier.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all, 22 May 2011
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
I came to these earphones from a pair of Shure SE110s that gave up on me. I read countless excellent reviews for these all over the internet so thought I'd give them a chance. The bottom line is that I hated them from the very beginning - the high end is fizzy.. any music with cymbals is basically runied by these phones. Bass is mushy and not well defined. I wasn't expecting miracles, but these were painful.

9 months later, one of the earphones stopped working and I was secretly relieved as I can now justify buying something else.

Certianly, these are better than anything you'll get bundled with an mp3 player, but they're not worth the price. If you're thinking of shelling out on some earphones, you will get far more for your money with something in the 100 range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Impressed!, 12 Nov 2009
C. White (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
Although happy with my CX300 Sennheisers for a number of years I recently felt the urge to upgrade my earphones. Setting a top end budget of 100 I initially tried the in ear headphones made by Bose. These were surprisingly disappointing and I returned them within 48 hours. Stumbling across a great review at CNET for these Klipsch S4's, and subsequently reading how highly rated they are here at Amazon I decided to give them a go. Although the cable is somewhat flimsy and cheap looking, the overall sound quality from these earphones is unbelievably good for the price! They have a tad more bass than the CX300's but with much clearer mids and highs. There is very little sound degradation at high volumes and all genres of music (that I have tried) sound crisp and clear. Like all in-ear headphones to acheive the best sound quality you need to ensure that you choose the right size buds (there are 3 different sizes included) and position the earphones correctly. Klipsch recommend pointing the buds forwards and slightly upwards for best sound quality.

For anyone wanting a significant step up in quality from the circa 15 to 30 earphone range (without paying silly money) I would highly recommend giving these S4's a go. They are absolutely brilliant value for money!

2.0 out of 5 stars Metallic-distorted highs, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
Treble was metallic and generally high freqs did not sound clear.
My Samsung stock headphones that come with Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 sounded much better.
The product was returned.

Maybe it was a counterfeit.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars... with a caveat. Should be more., 28 April 2012
M. Samwell (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4 Headphones (Electronics)
I've now had these for almost a year. Plenty of time to give a good review given the fact I use them for an hour each way on the train every day.

Firstly, the ear gels. I have yet to find the perfect set for my taste. The best ones were the double ones ( imagine a medium gell with a small gel stuck on the end ) but though they eliminated nearly all the exterior noise, they became uncomfortable after a while and whenever I moved my jaw, swallowed etc... it would actually close off the ear canal which muffled the sound completely ( no chewing gum whilst listening ! ). With any other set of gels, the sound isolation isnt as good, and I can clearly hear conversations, train noise etc... over my music ( dont like to have it too loud... I'm keen on not being deaf when I'm older ).

The cable... This is my biggest gripe. It's rubber, and it snatches on EVERYTHING. I've lost count of the times when I've pulled the phones out of my ear just by fidgeting. Why oh why they changed from the glorious fabric covering of the Custom 2s I dont know. The rubber cable also prevents me getting a comfortably over the ear fit, which for me seems the best way to line up the phones so I get good sound. The cable doesnt bend round your ears, but just sort of pokes out into space... which is distracting.

They seem pretty resilient, and still look pretty good despite daily use and the fact I'm not the most carefull person with them.

When you get a perfect storm, gel fit, cables nicely secured etc... the sound is very nice. Crisp and clear with pretty nice bass response ( given that I dont like my music too bassy ). There is no sound leakage to bug people around you.

My personal view... If you can find a set of custom 2 headphones anywhere, they're MUCH better than these on every level, but for the money, these are better than anything else I've had ( sony, sennheiser, Shure... ).

Mark.