on 2 July 2009
First foray into the world of Blu-ray and I have to say I'm quite impressed. Superb picture, simple and precise user interface and unique front flip-down design. Does a great job of upscaling DVDs too.

Great extra features. BD-live easy to setup - just hooked it up to my router via ethernet and it was ready to go. You'll need a dedicated 1GB+ USB flash drive though.

USB connectivity and Divx playback are a real plus. No longer need to write video files to disc. Just put them all on a flash drive and away you go. I can even hook up my Sony Ericsson phone, via its USB cable, to access the mp3s and photos stored on the Micro SD card. (This should also work with other FAT32 formatted devices)

Support for more video formats e.g. mpeg 1 & 2 and perhaps even wmv would have been great though. And although it plays the majority of Divx files, it won't play High Definition ones.

Overall I'm very happy with the Samsung BD-1600.

This just in:

The latest firmware upgrade, released September 3rd, gives the BD-1600 and all other 2009 models access to Youtube (provided your player is connected to the Internet of course) and the ability to playback .mkv and .mp4 files. Have just completed the upgrade and am still playing around with it. So far I'm quite pleased. Just a little extra to make the BD-1600 even more impressive.
on 28 June 2009
I was searching for a blu-ray player that would also play DIVX video and this is about the only one out there! When connected to the top of the range Philips ambilight LCDTV we encounted audio sync issues (ie audio not in time with picture). The manual is pretty poor, everything is covered but with no explanation of why you would change a setting. Seeing as sound is only coming from the stereo TV speakers, I turned all the player's audio settings off and the audio was back in sync with the video and still sounded fine :) I don't know if problem was with TV of the player.

Not only does this play divx on DVD, but also there's a USB slot at the front so you can play divx straight from a USB stick, this works extremely well.

The icing on the cake is the super-fast start-up times of this player, a common complaint of many other bluray players its faster than a lot of DVD players out there!
on 15 May 2009
Took it out of the box, plugged it in an away we went. No need for any software update. Paired with a Samsung TV and cinema system works a treat. Slight problem with sound sync initially but otherwise great. I didn't want bells and whistles so this was perfect.
Upscaling of standard DVDs is brilliant, almost like watching for the first time.
Down sides: Just one, all Samsung product are high gloss black which is great but wife complains it shows the dust! I watch the movie, she sees dust.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 14 April 2010
I'll keep this short but not sweet, the player requires online updates before any movie can be played... that's fine.

The very first update bricked up my player so that it didn't load up any menu or disc.

Amazon won't refund, or help.

Samsung have said they will review technical support and after 8-16 weeks may send out a box for me me to post the player back to them for a service.

Bare in mind this player arrived to me literally 2 hrs ago NEW from amazon.

Displeased.... very displeased.
on 9 September 2009
Plays Blu Ray (obviously!), DVD and DIVX straight from the box with no problems at all and with great HD quality. Despite this I did update the firmware and was glad that I had. With the latest firmare version installed, (Version 2.02) it will now play YouTube videos when connected to my broadband. My only critism is a minor one and is really a critism of the company pricing and not the player. The WiFi dongle is £46 (Amazon price) which is an expensive price for a WiFi dongle! I have opted for a wired connection at present until the Samsung dongle reaches a price comparable to other USB WiFi devices.
In short, a fantastic multi format player and for under £140 you'll have a hard job finding another Blu Ray player with as many features.
on 21 October 2009
After deliberating for a couple of months about buying a Blu-Ray player (Is it worth it? Is the qaulity really that better? Ect...), I finally converted. I promised myself I would only buy the occasional Blu-Ray film due to the price, although, there really isn't a GREAT difference in price between a DVD and BD, three months down the line my collecton is now at 25 BD movies.

I only buy DVD's if i'm after a TV box set. All my movies are now Blu-Ray. Having owned Sky+ HD for almost a year, I was amazed by the quality of High Definition...that was until I plugged in this very BD player...WOW! I was blown away. The vibrant colours, the sound, the quality, the ease of use, everything.

I am now a BD convert and if you don't already own a BD player, go for this one. You will not be dissapointed. Of course, you need a good selection of films to watch...and I only buy good movies. Best for 1080 quality -

The Dark Knight (Especially the Imax scenes, which expand to fill the whole of the TV)
The Departed
Gran Torino
Watchmen

To name a few.
on 22 March 2010
I bought this player last year and it worked fine for 4 months so I downloaded the firm ware update and it played ok for about another 2 months then it began to take up to 4 attempts to get anything to play as it kept spitting the tray out. This was followed by the player refusing to play discs. I got on to Samsung which took 4 weeks of email ping pong and finally getting someone on a telephone and they had me take it to a repair outlet where I had to wait 4 weeks for a new loader tray to arrive and be fitted.

Since I got it back it played for around 3 months before refusing to play any DVD and now sticks on Blue ray discs.

My warranty is now expired so it is being taken to the nearest tip where it belongs!

Beware of this product!
on 14 February 2010
Many of the negative reviews about this player are about it's reliability, and I cannot comment on that as I have only had this a week. However, here are some observations.

- I have had no sound sync issues at all, which many have complained about. Perhaps a firware update has fixed this?
- I can confirm that the BDP-1600 does play video files from a USB drive, and this is absolutely my favourite feature. It plays absolutely anything! Divx avi, MKV, Mp4, you name it, it plays without a hitch, inlcuding high definition files. This is an excellent media centre as well as a Blu-Ray player.
- If you connect it to the internet, the BDP-1600 can access youtube direct, which is a pretty cool feature.
- The remote control feels and looks nice, unlike the cheap ones which come with Sony models.
- It can be made DVD multi-region by enttering a simple code on the remote control.

Based on the last few days, I recomend this player.
on 24 April 2010
This is my first blu ray player. I chose this particulare make as I already have a Samsung HDTV which I have been very impressed with.

The blu ray player is light and stylish looking. It was very easy to connect to my TV and was up and running in seconds. Conveniently it automatically sets itself up so that the remote controls the TV too, something that I never managed to get my old one to do.
Picture quality with this blu ray player is fantastic, far better than I had ever imagined that it would be. DVD's upscale superbly and blu ray's play perfectly with perfect picture quality and crystal clear sound. I have to say I'm far more impressed than I ever thought I would be.

Now for the downside, the player does make quite a lot of noise when loading discs or skipping a chapter. On the other hand when actually playing it runs completely silent. The second downside which has been mentioned before is that the front panel has to be fliped open to get to the controlls or open the disc bay, this is a little odd but it's not a major problem.

On the whole I'm very impressed with this blu ray player both in its appearance and in performance and for the price it's an absolute bargain!
on 14 October 2009
Paired with a Samsung LCD TV works great because you can use only one remote. The image on blurays is excellent and the upscaling of standard DVDs and even CD format movies is exceptional it really does make a difference. It is a bit loud when loading discs but that's not much of a concern. There aren't many inputs and outputs but enough for most people. The only downside I can think of is that it doesn't play WMAs, I wish it could be fixed by firmware update of some sort. Other than that it is a great choice, especially when you already have a Samsung TV.