4.0 out of 5 stars Some Flexibilty, 14 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Panasonic 14-45mm Lens - H-FS014045 (Micro Four Thirds Mount) (Accessory)
I got this lens as a supplement to the 20mm f1.7 lens I bought originally with the Lumix GF-1.
Since getting it, I have hardly used the 20mm - which surprised me. (And sort of annoys me too - it's made me lazy again!)
Although the aperture is so much smaller than the 20mm I find the stabilizer makes up for it usually; this combines with the fact that I can hold the GF-1 to very low shutter speeds and keep camera shake to an acceptable minimum.
Image quality is excellent. It's sharp and has little to no distortion or vignetting, though how much of this is down to the camera's internal processing I can't say.
My only grievances are that the hood is (necessarily) large and makes the GF-1 less discrete and that the lens is only equivalent to a 28mm at the wide end. I appreciate that making the lens a 12mm (24mm eqv.) would make it larger and more expensive, but I'm used to starting at 24mm on my other cameras and I've gotten used to this!
All in I consider the lens to be great value and any limitations I find with it could only be fixed by making it more expensive!
Here's to Panasonic making some AFFORDABLE wider lenses!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb kit lens, 23 May 2011
TheProf (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have experience of Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Tamron and Sigma lenses of all shapes and sizes, and I think this old kit lens from Panasonic (old because the inferior 14-42 is the current kit lens)is extremely good. It really is a cut above the competition and much better than the kit lenses that typically accompany APS-C DSLRs from C, N and Sony. It is sharp and contrasty throughout its focal length range. Build quality is OK. Resolution with the Panasonic G series cameras is very, very good indeed. It compares well with, for example, the highly rated Tamron 17-50 f2.8 SP lens in terms of sharpness. A great companion for a GF1, GF2, GH2, etc, and Oly owners should give it serious consideration too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought it at the get go for my G3, 8 Sept. 2012
I bought a G3 but coould not get used to a plastic mount and the somewhat cheap feel of the 14-42mm. I therefore bought the Made in Japan 14-45mm with a G1 body on ebay which I sold back on ebay after removing the 14-45mm it came with. That way the upgraded lense only cost me £100 or so and after I sold the 14-42mm at auction for about £60 I ended up with the 14-45mm for only £40! It is nicely made and the image quality is excellent throughout the range. TBH, the upgrade was more a case of OCD than necessity but for £40 it was a good deal. Just knowing you have the MIJ upgrade caused you to just feel better! HOWEVER.....if you shoot movies the zoom control is still not very smooth which means you will have to buy a PZ lens for smooth zooming. The Made in China 14-42mm was also a bit jerky on zoom action. Only other minor comolaint is that dust and stuff gets caught in the ribs around the lens so it can get a bit grubby looking. Olympus have a 12-50mm as their kit lens (no OIS--Oly build it into their bodies) and if Panny come out with a similar range at a good price I might go for it as 24mm equivalent at the wide end is quite large compared with 28mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect companion for the Panasonic G2, 28 Mar. 2013
I recently bought a G2. Arguably the best of the "G" range. With it came the 14-42 kit lens. This somehow felt inconsistent with the impecable quality of the G2 camera body feeling rather "plasticy"! I managed to talk "my supplier" into changing this lens for the previous model which has none of these drawbacks. It performs with total reliability whatever you ask of it and is the perfect blend for this body. Incidentally, I had a G3 for a time and have been shown and allowed to hold the G5. I dislike both ! Also the price paid for my superb combination of G2 and 14=45 lens ? £250.00! - the best camera deal I have done in nearly 60 years of taking photos and trading cameras.

Barnabas.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little standard zoom, 14 Jan. 2011
I. Hayden "Aviator" (UK) - See all my reviews
Its a pitty that Panasonic no longer supply this lens in with their G series camera kits, it has been replaced by the low cost 14-42. This lens is a real gem, not perfect but superior to the new one. Optically a mixed bag as you would expect from a zoom lens, but can produce very sharp results at mid aperture and having the stabilisation switch on the lens is very convenient, I like it, would add a lot of flexability if you only have the 20mm pancake with your camera, although optically not as sharp or fast of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, 20 Oct. 2011
Bought to replace the 14-42 kit lens on my G2. Very satisfied with build quality and picture quality. Arrived promptly and in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Japanese lens for Lumix G5 etc, 7 Jun. 2014
TL (London, England) - See all my reviews
Other reviewers have said that this slightly older (Japanese-made) version is better than the Chinese-made version which came with the kit - with my Lumix G5 anyway. I was indeed quite disappointed by the kit lens so I bought this one for a good price to replace it. Comparing the two, this lens is indeed measurably sharper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great standard lens replacement, 22 Jun. 2014
Bought this as a replacement for the 14-42mm Lumix lens I had, as I wanted a lens with a metal mount instead of plastic. Despite the fact that this is an older lens, it's actually a little better than the newer model.

Very happy with the quality of the photographs, and the build quality of the lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Performance and Almost Weightless, 24 Jun. 2013
Sejanus (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
The headline says it all. This really is a nice lens for the price and even a pixcel peeper will be hard put to find any flaws.

If you want a general purpose lens for M43, it's hard to see where you can go wrong with this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good image quality, 4 Sept. 2010
Mr. D. Weaver (UK) - See all my reviews
Gives you great flexibility with focal-length, whilst keeping a sharp image BUT like most zooms, maximum aperture is rather limited.