4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 14 Feb 2008
Great book for beginners. Nice layout and simple explanations. It will certainly help you transition from windows to linux.

It falls down on the detail though and if you have linux background or want specifics on setting up servers etc then you should look at the SuSE bible.

I bought both together (or rather got them as birthday presents). I had some linux experience and have read the bible book cover to cover. I have referred to this one from time to time when I can't get what I need from the bible but the detail just isn't there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Linux for Starters, 10 April 2009
I bought this book because I was considering breaking the shackles of Microsoft Windows and wanted to learn about a Linux OS initially with a dual boot system and then with a native Linux Laptop.

It soon becomes clear Linux is a very different animal to Windows. It looks different works different and I found I needed a reference book to help with the transition from XP.

This book starts at a low enough level to help you install Linux and understand the system settings. With Linux you have to operate at a command line level sometimes and these commands are not like DOS. Unless you are familiar with Linux or UNIX I would recommend you get this book as it helps with some basic understanding.

The other area this book helps, is providing links to useful sites. For example to maintain compatibility of MS Word/Exel documents you need the MS font set. This book helps to find, download and install those fonts.

Overall a very good reference book, the included DVD is however for an earlier level of SUSE Linux than what is available for download (free) from the web.

If you are wanting to free yourself from costly slow MS operating systems and software, I can recommend both Linux and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must be the best Linux guide for the beginner, 20 Jun 2010
Swampy (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've read a few Linux guides but have been frustrated at what has been presumed to be basic knowledge - but coming from a Windows background I have been struggling to get even the most basic tasks done successfully on a SUSE box. I read one of the author's free Ubuntu guides on the internet and decided that I liked his style and the comprehensive nature of his guide, and so bought this book. This is what a beginners guide should be - easy to read, explains what can go wrong and how to fix it, plus is pretty comprehensive in its coverage. I give this book an easy 5 star rating, and as I said in the title - this must be the best Linux guide for the beginner.