4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive - but probably worth it
My 10 year old son spotted this in the Lego catalogue a while back. We told him it was too expensive but he saved every penny he got and asked for money for Christmas and birthdays and eventually accumulated enough to buy it.

He is not disappointed.

Published on 6 July 2011 by Mr Smug

3.0 out of 5 stars Software not working in Mac
I have run the install disk three different times to the same result. I get a LEGO Mindstorms folder in my Applications folder with no executable program file. I only get a folder called "engine" with a lot of sub folders in it, and a file called "MINDSTORMS Options.ini" which will not do anything when I click it. It is pretty sad when you have to post to a forum, hunt...
Published on 24 Mar 2011 by Mrs N BADRA RENOM

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive - but probably worth it, 6 July 2011
Mr Smug (Worthing, West Sussex) - See all my reviews

He is not disappointed.

The brilliant thing about the Lego Robot is how it is designed to grow with you. The programming language is very visual and straightforward meaning that a ten-year old can do it himself. It's great at teaching logic and it reminds me of programming my old ZX81!

Delve a little deeper and there is some really complex robotic functionality here, which is currently beyond him, but he will learn it over time.

The motors, sensors and construction all appear to be at the usual high lego standard.

Overall this is a great toy that is both highly educational and huge fun.

It would have got five stars except for:
1. It has a small memory which cannot be expanded using SD cards. This means that the number of images or sounds you can include in your programs is limited. With memory being so cheap this is pretty poor on a product costing this amount.
2. It eats AA batteries. Again, at this price I would have expected a durable Li-on rechargeable battery.
3. The Alpha Rex model, the humanoid robot you see in the pictures above, has a fault in it's design meaning that once you've built it the arms won't move. There are lots of fixes on the internet, but again, at this price band, this sort of error is unforgivable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete building and design experience!, 21 Oct 2009
J. Richardson "Buch Biographer" (Bremen, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
Well, what more can I say about Mindstorms that hasn't been said already? I bought my first Mindstorms about a year ago as a personal way to develop basic robots and develop programming skills for AI and robot fucntions. This was the original Mindstorms and it did not let me down. Each time I use it I am constantly challenged as to the ways that it can be used and reused. The included software is extremely useful for the novice programmer (and the expert who wishes to come to grips with the new systems) and, once built, your new robot will perform tasks after just ten minutes of drag and drop programming performed on your computer and uploaded to your robot!

Mindstorms 2.0 is slightly different from the original. Included now are two sets of tracks as well as four rubber tires and there are now two touch sensors and an RGB sensor instead of one touch, one light and one sound sensor. The microcontroller is still the same so if you have more than one mindstorms the possibilty of interchanging sensors os possible.

I work for a space agency in Europe and we bought two of these Mindstorms 2.0 to begin basic development of robotic systems for use in several projects. When they arrived two weeks ago they generated a lot of interest at the institute at all levels and my first demonstration to my peers garnered a lot of positive feedback and many more questions about their capabilities. As well as being relatively cheap they are quick to build, adapt, programme and develop and we can then transfer our ideas to larger more robust designs later. Mindstorms are an integral part of some educational institutions robotic design workshops and so you can be assured that one of these kits bought for a 7 year-old will still be well-used 20 years later! It's an investment as well as a toy and, if kept properly and used wisely will reap many educational rewards. Every school should have one of these and it is a must for any parents who wish their children to grow to become engineers or work in the field of mechanics.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish they thaught us this at school!, 25 Oct 2009
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
They really should have a couple of these at every school. I got mine as a requested birthday present and I've been playing day after day. I always wanted to learn programming but never knew where to start. After using the drag-and-drop programming system for a couple weeks, I've now started to learn Java so I can try something more complex.

Ratings:

Fun: 5/5 - Could something be funnier than designing, building and programming a robot?
Educational: 5/5 - As stated above, this is about designing, building and programming robots.
Durable: 5/5 I've got it a couple weeks ago, but in my 15 years of existence I haven't seen a single broken lego in my house.
Overall: 5/5 Ladies and gentlemen, we're talking about THE PERFECT TOY here.

Recommended to:

Little kids: If your kids play with LEGO, they can also program a Mindstorm. Period.
Teenagers: As in my case, the perfect bridge to start learning a real programming language.
Adults: If you already know a programming language, this is going to be the best purchase of your life.
Teachers: Spread the word of LEGO Mindstorms to your pupils. They'll thank you.

If I had the money, I would buy thousands of these. Thousands.

4.0 out of 5 stars LEGO 8547 Mindstorms NXT 2.0 - Belgian review, 7 Jan 2010
Gert Luyten (Antwerp, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
Without any previous Mindstorms experience, I bought this set for my daughter of 8. My main reason for buying this from Amazon in the UK was the huge price difference compared to any on-line store in Belgium or The Netherlands.
I paid 206 Euro for the set, including shipping which is almost 100 Euro cheaper than stores in BE or NL (thank you British pound!). The only difference is the manual language but the software is in Dutch so no issues there (and you can download a Dutch manual from the Lego website).
I'm writing this review just after finishing the Shooter Bot (with Ultrasonic sensor attached). The Robogator is next on the todo list.

Pro's:
- great building fun: my daughter loves to build Lego stuff and building with Technics is not a hurdle (smaller pieces can be difficult but daddy loves to help)
- great reward: after a project has been build I'll assist her in the programming as larger programs tend to bore her quickly (I guess 8 is a bit too young for NXT-G). Nevertheless she wants to understand how everything works and after the robot comes to life she loves to play and test the robot.
- ease of use of NXT-G programming software. Sure you can go to an advanced level but for now everything works first time around
- Bluetooth (BT) included: this works way better than the USB cable as you can download software or control your robot where-ever you are (max. 8-10 m away). Be sure to have a PC/laptop with BT included or buy a BT dongle (+/- 10 Euro).
- long-term life of the product: I expect my daughter to play with this for another 5-6 years and the new books coming out for this set (on Amazon) promise even more fun and robots to build.
- large community: countless forums and websites devoted to Mindstorms and, as the 2.0 series is still fairly new, I'm sure they will increase their topics and projects on this set.

Con's:
- no chargeable battery included. The 6 batteries installed have not run out yet (after a couple of hours of use) but this is not environmental friendly so I bought a battery pack (Lego 9798) from a Bricklink store in the US at a fair price ($45). I hope customs will not charge me too much extra for importing it but it will still be less than the 65 Euro I had to pay for it in Belgium.
- no sealeable bags included to store your remaining Mindstorms parts, the plastic bags rip easily so you are forced to look for alternatives (small containers you can find in any DIY store e.g. Makro)

So all in all very pleased with this product and building Lego robots with my daughter brings backs memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 July 2010
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
I'm a massive Lego fan so I brought the 1.0 release (pretty much identical bar the included sensors) for myself but now that my kids are older they have started using this kit with me to make their own models. As its compatible with "normal" Lego and Technics you can utilise this with normal Lego models with a bit of effort, meaning you can get the most out of your investment, as this isn't a cheap kit (but when has Lego ever been cheap?). On the plus side as its Lego it will hold its value well, I've older Lego kits that have actually gone up in value over the years.

I would recommend that anybody new to Robotics purchase one or more of the beginner books on Mindstorms (The LEGO Mindstorms NXT 2.0 Discovery Book gets my vote) as the included instructions are great at showing how to do something but not why to do something. If you are purchasing this for younger kids (12 or under) I would view this as something to do together rather than a solo activity as its easy to get stuck or lost even for the gifted younger master builder and its a lot more fun to work as a team. Something like LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT 2.0: The King's Treasure is a good follow up book to do together and extend the life of the set if they are running out of ideas.

Mindstorms NXT does require a Windows PC to get the most out of it, and I'd also recommend connecting via Bluetooth rather than USB as that saves a lot of time when downloading programmes onto the model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robotics for the masses!, 8 Jan 2010
R. Wesson - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
Wow what great fun! I got this for my 5 year old (I've always wanted one too) and I have had to help him out. Bad points (I've only found two) 1. The Bluetooth took me a few days to sort out and I'm not the only one, I had to remove all the widcomm software and broadcom drivers and edit the standard microsoft bluetooth drivers to get it to work! 2. The ultrsonic sensor only likes flat surfaces or it can get a bit unpredictable. And that's it for the bad points the programming is a breeze and I am teaching my kids how to use it. You can use your other Lego with it especially the Technic sets and the support is unreal, you can download schematics, software, development notes, they give you access to everything! We have not got past the shooterbot yet as the kid's are having so much fun with it. Awsome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, affordable, but badly packaged robotic kit, 25 Oct 2009
G. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
My teenage daughter thinks this kit is awesome - built robots, programmed robots - lots of fun.

Price seems good compared to other programmable robotic kits.

The packaging lets it down, though.

The box cannot be used to keep all the bits together safely. Given the price of the kit and the large number of pieces involved (many of which are very small) - it seemed a little penny pinching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and learning experience, 15 Nov 2010
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
that was supposed to be a birthday gift for 11 year old boy. First few minutes (less than 20) were spent on esembling the blocks to create the first toy. Then the real fun started - programing it. The package contains the software on CD with nice interface to program it. There you could find a lot of links to quite useful sites with additional information on nxt. Also, there are some step-by-step instructions concerning the building phase and also the programing one. The book included in the package is rather poor but the software compensates that and contains everything we have needed so far.
The first night was spent with my son on running the standard programs already included there and starting to understand the particular options, parameters, etc.. The real fun was when the immediate effect of the changes in the program was observed in the action ! That kept us busy until late.
The batteries are not included. You need to organise 6 AA batteries but recharchable ones work perfectly there.. It's been some time already operating on the same pack (3 weeks for sure with extensive presentations during the first week).

To whom it may be recommended ? I think to someone who is dreaming of becoming a first class programmer but has never started doing that yet. This toy shows immediate results of sever seconds codding and kids don't get borred with that. After few days 11 year old boy (without previous programing experience) was able to modify the programs and build his own ones from scratches. This toy also changed/improved the understanding of the way some other technical machinery operates in real world; so the educational value is confirmed !

The only complain I've got was related to the status of the package we received - it came half opened and we worried if everything inside was complete. Luckly - it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lego box ever, 18 Mar 2010
K. Jambrosic - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
This is a great educational box! There are already a lot of projects to do, from the official Lego site and from other NXT community websites. I hope my 9-year old son will love this toy, but if he won't - I will keep it for myself :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 8 Jan 2010
M. Hartman (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot (Toy)
Bought for 10 year old grandson, who had this at the top of his Christmas list after seeing it at a museum. He has great fun and also it's an ongoing learning experience as he uses his programing skills. Should keep him engaged for years to come.

LEGO 8547: Mindstorms NXT 2.0: Robot