5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Beautiful Film
Published on 16 April 2011 by Mrs L M Lees

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant if you like "Home Video"
Published 14 months ago by G. Watkins

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Beautiful Film, 16 April 2011
Mrs L M Lees (KEIGHLEY, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
When my father died I had the unenviable task of clearing out his flat. I had put it off for as long as I could but eventually the warden at the tower block where my father spent his final years, gently urged me to sort through his stuff before the local authority came in and did the job for me. Amongst his many CD's I came across the soundtrack for the film 'Lisbon Story', directed by Wim Wenders.The music became the soundtrack to my relationship with my father, our culture and Portugal. It's haunting melodies transported me to the land of my forefathers, my family and, I hoped, my future. Recently I decided I was ready to see the film.
Essentially, it is a film about film-makers. A foley artist receives a postcard from a friend, Friedrich, who is making a film in Lisbon, inviting him to record the soundtrack for the film. By the time the foley artist, Phil, gets to Lisbon from Germany, Friedrich is nowhere to be found. Phil gets on with the task of recording the sound effects whilst waiting for his friend to turn up. He is befriended by some children who purport to be helping Friedrich with the film, and it transpires that the house in which Friedrich had been installed and Phil was now staying, is owned by the beautiful Teresa, lead singer of the group Madredeus, who are providing the music to accompany the film. Phil falls in love; Friedrich turns up eventually, having had an epiphany; and the two friends finish making the film together. It is a charming and engaging film, full of wonderful little moments that play out in one's mind again and again. It's philosophy is light yet meaningful, without falling into the trap of trying to be too clever or high brow for the average viewer. I have since watched it several times and get something new from it on every occasion. I can now watch it without weeping, and instead I get a wonderful warm glow as I watch a film my father never saw but brought me to, about a city to which he never returned but always loved.

4.0 out of 5 stars a slow charmer, 27 Dec. 2011
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
This is another of Wim Wenders' road movies. He seems to work with a movie equivalent of a rep company of frequent collaborators, allowing the location to inspire the script, and coaxing fine natural performances from non-actors.

In this case he was commissioned by Lisbon to make a film, any film, and the footage gradually evolved into the story of a sound recordist stranded in Lisbon, falling in love with the city and its sounds. The sound recordist is Rudiger Vogler, also in Alice In The Cities [1974] [DVD] and Kings of the Road (In the Course of Time) [1975] [DVD] amongst others, although the character name and profession do alter slightly. His friend, the errant director is Patrick Bachau, who played a character with the same name in The State of Things [DVD].

Wenders is relatively unconcerned with conventional plot and narrative, he is concerned with place and mood, and this film works well at convincing you of the rather scruffy charms of a provincial Lisbon. It does have to be said that the first half hour is unengaging, but it does start to work its charm, with some broad humour and not so broad humour, and by the end you are sorry to say goodbye to these characters and Lisbon.

The film also features the the band Madredeus, and their music. Not only does the film work well as a advert for Lisbon, it helped introduce the music of Madredeus to a world audience. There is an extra of a short interview with the band leader, vaguely recalling their work on the film and the impact it had on their career. It is obvious that despite some memorable scenes, the scripts were virtually made up on the spot, and the filming was pretty much done in impulse over a few days!

If you enjoyed this film, the Lisbon theme can be continued via
Antologia and Cousin Basilio (Dedalus European Classics).

If you give this slow film a chance then you will probably enjoy it, it is not the best of the Wenders' road movies, but it has charm, wit and a real warmth.

4.0 out of 5 stars They don't make 'em like this anymore!, 8 Feb. 2011
Mr. M. Callan "librarymark" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Ok, let's be frank about this: this film is unlikely to figure on anyone's top twenty. Unless it's the top twenty of films made in or about Lisbon, of course.

That said, if you miss this then you'll be missing a treat. It's a quirky little film which is rather more about the oddness of being a European film maker, no, scratch that: it's about the oddness of being European and finding yourself unexpectedly in a city on the edge of Europe that you know nothing about and how you might come to terms with that situation when the ostensible reason for your being there is abruptly removed. Answer: you use what skills you have, your native wit and good-humour and get on with it.

There's a marvellous opening sequence in which a car drives down from Germany, through France and Spain with the car radio tuned to local stations. The motorways and service stations and traffic and even the cities all seem to resemble each other but the music is self-evidently local (it's entertaining to see how many of the tracks you recognise: I think I got the French ones and a couple of the Spanish...). Then it all halts, literally, at the Portuguese border and a very different woirld is entered into. (Remember that, at the time of the film, Portugal was very much the forgotten man of Europe.) Cue gentle comedy, strange encounters and a fascinating world that draws the central character wholly into it. And even, by the end, the central mystery (more of a McGuffin, really) is unravelled - and the marvel of film recalled!

It's a lovely film of the type that doesn't get made these days, with nothing to prove but its own capacity for wonder and to engender wonder in the spectator. In that sense, it's heart-warming. Heart-warming usually means sentimental: not here though. As one more of those films about film-making, this wears its genre very lightly; it lacks all pretention and just wends its episodic way through a Lisbon that you might recognise but will not see again.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, the Lisbon Story, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
Having learnt of this film from the video of "Alfama" it was a pleasure to finally see it. Typically for Wim Wenders, it's quirky, philosophical and full of exquisite vignettes of Lisbon and Portuguese life. Its comments of the ethical and artistic problems for filmmakers are well conceived and resolved. It lags a little, as many European fringe films do, but should not be missed by fans of Wenders, or of Lisboa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poetic Brilliance, 26 Feb. 2010
C. S. Ebrey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
This is a quiet and pensive view of Lisbon that shows many different aspects of the city and which gels perfectly with a heart stopping musical accompaniment from Madredeus. Yet again, Wenders hits the spot with a perfect blend of passion, culture and outstanding filmmaking that really seems to get right under the skin of this beautiful city. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great film, 2 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
A sweet and imaginative film about film making. Intellectual but light. Probably the last good film in Wender's career.. There is some wonderful poetry by F. Pessoa too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !!!!!, 3 Mar. 2014
Great cineast.
Wonderful story.
Great actors.
Great music, musicians and singer.
Wonderful Lisbon ... that's all what I can say!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Nov. 2014
Excellent

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant if you like "Home Video", 20 Jan. 2014
G. Watkins "Taff" (Wales, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
This film is not the type you would expect from a professional Travel Agency and you might be disappointed if you are looking for anything glamorous. It is very much like a home video and visually there is hardly any scene which could be described as spectacular. Much of the footage seems to be of the backstreets in Lisbon and the person filming it chooses digs that are grotty with paint coming off the walls in patches! To say that this is a "Down-to-earth" view of Lisbon would be an understatement.

The story, if you call it that, is like a documentary about an unkempt middle-aged man who goes to Lisbon simply to record the sounds of the city. The music and song which accompanies it and is also played visually for the viewer, is very pleasant and typically Portuguese folk music, very nice if you like that type.

I have only stayed in Lisbon once, it was an overnight stay and in a nice hotel so perhaps I am not really qualified to criticize this DVD. I bought it after reading the very good reviews here and I am only writing this to save some people from disappointment if they decide to buy it.

I liked the driving sequences when going to Lisbon,they remind me of when I myself have put my camcorder on the dashboard to film road trips. All-in-all I would say try to rent or see it before you buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars No justice for Lisbon, 8 Jan. 2010
Art (The West Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
We are told in the blurb that this film was financed by the City fathers and that they gave the Director complete freedom so long as the film was devoted to the City. They must be very disappointed. This film does very little for Lisbon except show that it is sunny and has some run-down areas. We see, mainly, the back streets and a few derelict sites. I did notice one of their famous trams, but the hustle and bustle of central Lisbon is not seen. Granted,the film did not have to be dominated by the well known sights and sounds, but this film really does not give the viewer a fair picture or flavour of this beautiful and interesting city. It should have been possible to do this without turning it into an out-and-out documentary.That brings me to the story..... there isn't one. The advertising blurb refers to the male lead's friend who dissappears without trace and who he searhes for. This is extremely misleading - the fellow has just wandered off, filming. The whole idea might have worked if the male lead had been more engaging, but I found him unconvincing, embarressingly so.The only really enjoyable parts were when Madredeus were playing their music. However,beautiful though Teresa Salgueiro, their lead singer is(to listen to and look at) the involvement of Madredeus is a pure contrivance.I found myself waiting for something to happen throughout this film, but it never did.

Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994]
Lisbon Story [DVD] [1994] by Wim Wenders (DVD - 2009)